• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How do you survive?????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think it depends where you are based. If you are on one of the coasts....just to have an apartment is 1000-1200 for a studio. include food costs and you just dont have enough cash. So, to say that you dont need everything....is kind of biased depending where you are based. You at least need a place to live and food.

This begs the question: is all this worth the price of cheap airline tickets?

And Dharmesh1231, you are now way over qualified for the regionals, Piedmont ran an ad calling for F/Os with only a commercial multi-engine rating!

Last edited:
The math does not work for many.

It does not get better in the end. It is great experience but in the end you have to move on.

Look at the major's pay rates, there is nothing to look forward to.

This begs the question: is all this worth the price of cheap airline tickets?

And Dharmesh1231, you are now way over qualified for the regionals, Piedmont ran an ad calling for F/Os with only a commercial multi-engine rating!

25.58/flight hour plus a 5k bonus your first year. One of the highest paid regionals for 1st year FOs.

Here's my question....how do you survive first year regional pilot pay. Most of the pilots are single and for the married ones who are just getting into the regional market, how can you support your family with less than $1500/ month.
My first regional airline job was as a ground instructor. They trained me as a first officer so I was able to start building seniority and I was able to fly once a month or so but meanwhile was making $45/yr my first year with weekends and holidays off like a regular job.
My current regional job is with Skywest and I never once brought home less than $1500/mth my first year. My take home pay without doing any overtime is more than that, and with our work rules you can bring home almost $1500 per pay check not per month if you are willing to pick up some time and a half open time. Living in base helps with this and also commuting gets expensive as a newhire cause you have all the crappy uncommutable trips.

3 Roomates in a crappy apartment, all your furnerature is found on the curb, eat mac 'n cheese and drink mad dog 20/20.

2nd and 3rd jobs/businesses
student loans on income contingent plan
8 yr old paid-for car
Apartment, no mortgage (ain't paying 1 mil for a 32,000 tar shack either)
furniture from Big Lots/craigslist
Netflix - no cable nor advertising telling me what I'm supposed to buy and eat, and a full bookshelf from the used bookstores/amazon
lots of beans, salad, and only buy meat that's on sale
no booze or smoking habits
growing retirement account
And a few luxuries. . .

Here's my question....how do you survive first year regional pilot pay. Most of the pilots are single and for the married ones who are just getting into the regional market, how can you support your family with less than $1500/ month.
I am currently a US Marine...about to get out soon...have 1000TT 100 multi CFI, II, MEI and an A 320 type ...right now if I look at my lifestyle....I have a huge house on base with a 2 car garage (by the way housing is free) and unlimited use of ac in summer and heat in winter. Even after having a free house I still bring home 1000 every 2 weeks. I am looking into getting into the regional market, but can't figure out how to support my wife and kid with that kind of pay....scary...a cousin of my mine told me...just bite the bullet the first 2 years and it'll improve after that....any advice...

Latest resources

Back