How do you log sim time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
not just "opinions"

When I call the FSDO for an interpretation of a Reg, or to answer a question I am seeking their informed, dare I say, legal opinion. Calling a FSDO versus walking up to various pilots and asking their opinion on a subject is different in what i am expecting. I and my tax dollars expect to get to the bottom of things when I end up calling the FSDO.

I just don't like calling them up, getting two calls back (like they had an office argument) with each expressing their own different finding.

I understand that I will fill out the apps as perscribed but I don't want to unintentional misrepresent my flight time on my resume. I don't have thousands of hours to show, and since I was at the right place at the right time and got hired by a 121 operator (to be laid off just at the end of training) I want to properly reflect my training experiences, not be accused of any false advertising.

Any specific guidance.. (I like being proved right or wrong by the regs... show me the regs! lol)

Canadflyau,

I think what Bobbysamd was trying to say regarding one FSDO's opinion does not have the "force of law" is correct. As much as I feel as you do that relying on one FSDO's opinion to keep you out of hot water should be enough, period, end of story, it is not. Regarding your logbook question I don't really think it'll get you in any hot water with the Federalies but do watch your six on FSDO "opinions" for mattters that can hurt you or your passengers. Other pilots have found out the hardway that if he/she relied on a FSDO's opinion but the "gods sitting above them" [thats a small g in gods] decide that the FSDO's opinion was wrong you will be left holding the bag. It is a sorry state of affairs I agree. I hope you get back to work soon. Cheers.

KlingonLRDRVR

He's right.

Only a legal opinion from an FAA office of counsel has a binding force of law. No one at a FSDO can legally interpret the regs. All they can do is their myriad of administrative duties, including the beginning of enforcement actions. After that, it goes on to the next level.

Even a letter from a FSDO on a topic in question does not protect you from legal action, unless it reflects the opinion of the office of chief counsel.

In other words, you have to go right to the source, and ask the horse.

(sorry for the Mr Ed reference....) :)

I never said you CAN'T log the time, I said that I DIDN'T. There is a difference. Also, like the man said, there is no guideline for logging time. So, your guess is as good as mine. I prefer not to log anything that someone would question, so I just leave it out. Simulator time is great experience, but any airline interviewer knows that you trained in one, so he isn't going to look for the time in your book. Once you have an airline job, the only thing you need to log is what you want to show the next interviewer. That is why many major airline pilots stop keeping a log, exept maybe one of those little red books for pay and tax information.

Latest resources

Back