Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

j-3

Cub
do you put in your log book initial/upgrade/recurrent training? or do you record in another log book or don't record at all. i use to log during my instrument training but after i started work for a commuter i stop doing. do airlines care how much sim time we have?

If it doesn't move, log it as flight training device time. We had a non moving DHC-300 sim at Scenic, but could only log that as flight training device time.

If it moves (hydraulics and all that), log it as flight simulator time.

Log it in with your regular log book, that's fine, just don't count it as total time. HOWEVER- I understand that if it's D certified, you can log it as total flight time legally (don't quote me on this) but who'd want to do that except for the 747 folks who do it in order to get their landings in? D means that the sim duplicates night and day. C if I'm correct duplicates only night, not day, and that's the reason it can't be counted as total flight time... Again, don't quote me on this!

Sim time

Do log it in your logbook so you have an independent record of your currency apart from company records. Log it as flight training device only. Please, do NOT put it under total time in your logbook. Be sure to have your instructor sign it off. Put it on your resume as "simulator" or "flight training device."

Your logbook has to be standarized. The majors count flight time all kinds of strange ways that bear little meaning to the FAA. So, when it comes to prepare that major app, do it whichever way that makes them happy. If the major(s) want to include sim time as part of your total time, let them. Just don't count your time yourself the same way. The FARs are the arbiter of flight time logging.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
This one...again????

As SIM time. Period. Not PIC, not SIC, not ME, not SE, not Total, not Instrument... but SIM time. End of story.

Oh yeah, and like FlyDog said...with a pen.;)

Orvilleflyer said:
D means that the sim duplicates night and day. C if I'm correct duplicates only night, not day, and that's the reason it can't be counted as total flight time... Again, don't quote me on this!

C simulates day and night and just about everything level D does. Level D adds some visual enhancements but primarily stall buffets, flap buffets and greatly enhanced acoustics.

I log it as sim time, simulated instrument time. Never as total time

I don't log it at all. It's a waste of logbook space. If your company loses your records, you have to take the training over again anyway. Your personal records are useless, except for personal reasons like getting another job. Hope this helps you.

How about a typerating and PIc checkout or even an ATP in a level c-sim??

Surely if they can check you like that you would want to put it in your logbook right?

Now i do agree with just the training-sim rides but for a major thing like an upgrade fully done in the sim, sure you should be able to log this, how else do you have a record on it?
I also think it would be strange if, according to the FAA they can do your 135-PIC check, Instrument Profcheck, and even your ATP exam in a sim and people say you can't put it in your logbook.

I have the same question

I posted this same question on another thread.

Hawker rider posted: "I also think it would be strange if, according to the FAA they can do your 135-PIC check, Instrument Profcheck, and even your ATP exam in a sim and people say you can't put it in your logbook."

After calling a couple FSDO's asking this question they acted like there really isn't any explicit regs stating HOW to log flight time.. In fact one of the guys that called me back stated exactly what you said above, that since you can take your check in a sim (he was talking to me about level D) that it was his opinion it was the same as flying the actual a/c and it could be logged accordingly. The other FSDO guy however disagreed and said yes to multi, yes to turbine, yes to Sim (which you can log as one or the other but not both. i.e. Sim or Total, but not Sim and Total) He sated it was an approved replication turbine, multi of the type of a/c however it was a Sim and not the actual a/c, so it was sim and not total.. So who do you listen to, or neither?

This came up recently at an interview and I was totally upfront with the interviewer about both points of view..

So basically the equation I was told is...
single+multi+helo(if applicable)=sim(not pcatd)+total

pcatd, a totally different subject, can only be used for flight experience toward certain ratings (but not total or sim time)and currency. It should be logged in its own column and use the remarks section to describe its set-up (multi or single) and what you practiced in it.

Last edited:
FSDO "opinions"

. . . are just that. Opinions. They don't have the force of law.

Simulator, no matter how realistic, is simulator. Airplane is airplane. Keep your records straight and fill out the app for the majors the way they want and let them worry about it.

Latest resources

Back