How do you handle expenses?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chingaso

I'm curious. How does everyone's respective companies handle on-the-road expenses?

-company credit card?
-cash advance?
-you pay intially then wait for reimbursement?
-Captain has corporate card only?

Every company I've ever worked for, large or small, provided its pilots with corporate cards for hotels/airlines/meals/etc. Some allowed meals on the card while others limited use to hotels. I'm running into guys lately with some horror stories, where it seems a pilot needs to be independently wealthy or have a large amount of available credit in order to do finance the trips. It seems borderline unethical to me for a profitable corporation to expect its employees to lend the company its operating capitol for a ten day trip. But that's just me.

Company credit card for everything possible.

Cash out is our own (tips etc) and reimbursed.

Without cash in escrow etc, there is no way I would front expenses for an operation on my own card.

A department can fold up overnight (especially these days) and the airplane gone. You wont even have a chance to steal the Scotch and pawn the FMS's to pay your amex bill.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Company credit card for everything possible.

Cash out is our own (tips etc) and reimbursed.

Without cash in escrow etc, there is no way I would front expenses for an operation on my own card.

A department can fold up overnight (especially these days) and the airplane gone. You wont even have a chance to steal the Scotch and pawn the FMS's to pay your amex bill.

Good Luck

Same for us. Only nice thing for us is that we do not even have to do expense reports. Each pilot carries 1 visa and 1 Amex.

Other than tips, I would also never front money on my card.

All expenses on company AMEX.

No expense report required, except for out-of-pocket expenses, such as cash tips or if a restaurant we want to eat at doesn't accept AMEX and we pay with our personal cards.

expenses

Company issued credit card

All crew expenses go on the card and submit a quick and easy company report. Cash expenses handled the same way.

Personal credit card with expenses reimbursed in a couple of weeks. They didn't want anyone "downtown" to know what they spent money on. [Thought bubble: But when we turned in expense reports, they had receipts attached... Hummm... Oh well, just something else that doesn't pass the logic test. ;) ] (More paranoia than the Nixon White House. :D )

Anyway, most people got a $1,000.00 cash advance when hired.

For big trips, they'd give you a cash advance of $300 to $1,500.

It worked ok unless you had a couple of long international trips back to back which was rare. TC

We use our own CC's to pay expenses and use our own cash for tips, etc. Reimbursement is quick, though. If I file an internet expense report by Tuesday morning I'll have the cash deposited by that Friday. We can get cash advances from the mothership (Jet Aviation) for up to 15 grand before trips, 20 under special circumstances. I have run up more than $12,000 worth of expenses on a couple of three week trips where I had to pay for several airline tickets to Europe and back.

This causes us to have a lot of our money out there, but I bank crazy points on my Marriott card and get about a grand back every year on my Cosco AMEX.

Company AMEX- we just turn in the reciepts.

We use our own cards/cash for places that don't take AMEX or for tips and then put those on an expense report along with reciepts.

Latest resources

Back