Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How do you file a complaint for a controller error?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
care to be specific on the error in question. Are you sure it was a deal?

It all depends on just exactly what happened as to how it should be handled. If you get vectored right into a terrain escape manuever I would suggest paperwork as described above. If you have a TCAS RA and some of your pax or FA's sustain injuries you also need paperwork.

care to be specific on the error in question. Are you sure it was a deal?

It wasn't a deal.

A controller made an error, then we made an error and the controller wrote up our error. Later, I found out that the controller left out his error in the report (must have forgot).

If the FSDO comes after us, I want to have a filed complaint that addresses the first error by the controller, since the paperwork doesn't reflect it at this time.

It was not a deal, it was sloppy controller work that caused a lot of confusion.

No problem, except that the controller then got his sup involved and both thought the item that started the cascade was something that didn't need to make it into the report, but the sup filed a report.

Normally, I wouldn't give a flying you-know-what. I don't like filing paperwork. In this case, like a four year-old, "He started it!" Had he not filed, then I wouldn't file. Again, it wasn't a "deal".

I very well may need the backup paperwork, hence the question.

I am currently thinking a letter to the facility manager requesting a review of the circumstances and whether the controller followed the ATC manual might be in order.

Is the ATC manual regulatory? Or is it like the AIM?

the ATC manual called the 7110.65 is regualatory, however if no loss of seperation ensued then his non deal was not an error. not much you can do. If you care to explain the situation better then im sure I can give you advice being both a pilot and a controller. You can leave facilities out, but the circumstances are crucial.

Mk

I was on the frequency a few nights ago and some yehoo, made a report of severe turbulence, and wanted a SIGMET based on his report. He thought the controller dissed him so when he got to the next frequency he wanted all kinds of phone numbers, and wanted to know how to report this guy. Mostly he kept repeating that he didn't understand why a SIGMET had not been issued.

We followed him on the other radio through a few frequencies, His ignorance of the system was quite comical.

I heard a Delta guy telling a controller that it was bad judgment to send their flight through a particularly bumpy, icy area. Then he kept asking for a phone number to call a supervisor and complain. When did it become a controllers responsibility for weather avoidance?

This is rich. Pilots aren't getting singled out and picked on by controllers for every mistake, just like it shouldn't be done for controllers.

An eye for an eye and everyone is blind!

I can't count how many times lately I've heard pilots miss crossing restrictions, blow a turn, etc, and the controller doesn't violate them... no harm no foul.

I'd love to know what your specific situation was, he either lost separation or didn't, if he did, it was a PE or OE, if he didn't, then you're out of luck!

I think it is important to remember that we are professionals on both sides of the radio. The controller is human and if he slighted you in a minute way, he probably didn't mean to. Kinda like when someone loses the translation of a joke on a message board. If it was a serious mistake causing loss of separation then I can assure you it has been handled or will be. I am a pilot and I have been on the receiving end of a "call this number". It was discovered that it was a controller fault and not mine. Was it fair to go through the process? Probably not. But I can tell you that controllers have saved me from having to do the dance a couple of times. So, to want to file a complaint seems petty and I think when able, we should afford each other the chance to correct our mistakes without having to have our careers put in jeopardy.

yeah, I got the story behind all this. Long story short, controller gave more then a 30' turn for the ILS all the while these guys busted an altitude. Their inability to fly the airplane and maintain altitude was the controllers fault apparently.

Latest resources

Back