Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MarineGrunt

Will kill for peace.
In the past 13 sims at FS, I've been given about 13 different techniques on takeoff/depature briefings, and almost every time on the next sim I am told "don't brief it that way," you need to brief this..... etc, etc. I have been taught some techniques that later on I learn are stupid or just downright dangerous.

That being said, I'm interested to hear how some of you guys/gals brief the departure, including normal takeoff procedures, speeds, aborts (specifically who makes the decision and actions), emergency procedues, etc.

Please be detailed and if you have any personal techniques, please elaborate on why you choose to do it that way. I'm young in my heavy aircraft experience, so I want to learn this stuff right from the get go. Unfortunately, I don't feel like I'm getting that training. I am especially interested in what you Guard/Reserve KC-135 guys have to say.

Thanks in advance.

Pretty Simple Actually:

1. Discuss Any changes to normal procedures.
2. Review what you do if a problem occurs before V1. What you'll abort for and who does what.
3. Review what you do if a problem occurs after V1. Who does what and where you'll go.
4. Review clearance departure procedure.
5. Ask if the other pilot has any questions or any thing to add.

Example:

(1) "We'll use standard callouts and procedures today."
(2) "If anything abnormal occurs before 90 knots we will abort. After 90 but before V1 we'll abort only for a Fire, Engine Failure, Thrust Reverser Deployment or any loss of control. If we do abort you get the airbrakes and I'll apply maximum braking, throttles to idle and TR (thrust reverse) if its available."
(3) "Anything abnormal after V1, we'll take into the air. I'll fly the airplane and work the radios, you run the checklists. We'll return back to runway 36 if we need to."
(4) "The clearance states that we are to fly runway heading up to 3000' for vectors to XYZ."
(5) "Do you have any questions or comments?"

Enjoy!
Jetpilot500

P.S. Look forward to seeing you over at the "other" website!

-who's flying
-aircraft configuration- flaps- thrust setting- trim- anti-ice configuration
-vee speeds
-runway and departure procedure- inital course/heading and altitude
-abort conditions and responsibilities (who decides and who does what is normally determined by company SOP)
-inital action for airborne emergencies- who has the airplane/ radio/ checklist
-emergency return airport/runway and how you're going to get there
-weather, MEL, NOTAM considerations

It's a big help for overall safety and efficiency if every Captain briefs departures the same way. Making small additions is fine if you feel you need to, but standardization makes things a lot easier.

Jetpilot - sounds 100% like the brief I use on the F-20...simple & no frills. Although for #3 I usually say - "Both of us scream and cry....then we'll take it into the air...." :)

EagleRJ said:
-abort conditions and responsibilities (who decides and who does what is normally determined by company SOP)
This was where I got spanked the other day. I briefed that prior to 90 knots either pilot may call for the abort. This was what I was encouraged to brief in a previous sim, then got my balls busted for it later because "the aircraft commander should never delegate critical decisions to the co-pilot" or something to that effect. I can see it both ways. Maybe I will get more direction after training when I get to my unit.....

We use the acronymn C.T.W.O.

-Chart - Chart number and date, any altitude constraints, notes, and basic initial actions.

-Terrign - The MSA, any significant terrign during and after the procedure

-Weather - How weather may effect the flight, turbulance, wet runway, windshear

-Operational - who will do what, abort procudures, any non standard speed constraints, and any threats to the flight like a pilot coming off of many days off, not fully rested, any mechanical issues, or absolutly anything non standard.

This seems to cover almost any thing and keeps it very standard in the company.

Hope this helps.

Marine Grunt - I feel your brief was correct - at least in civilian flying. I can't speak for military training.

"the aircraft commander should never delegate critical decisions to the co-pilot"

What if the "commander" wasn't doing a good job of commanding that day or he didn't see that little red light flash because he was looking down the runway as he should....?
Just my .02

pilotpat said:
Marine Grunt - I feel your brief was correct - at least in civilian flying. I can't speak for military training.

"the aircraft commander should never delegate critical decisions to the co-pilot"

What if the "commander" wasn't doing a good job of commanding that day or he didn't see that little red light flash because he was looking down the runway as he should....?
Just my .02
I agree. In the Beechjet, low speed aborts usually weren't too critical. In the 135 at low airspeed, high power setting on TO, if you lose #1 or #4 you are going on a little tour off the runway if you don't take action immediately. If the co-pilot if the PF, is he supposed to wait for the AC (captain) to make the call as they're screaming off the runway? In that situation you have no choice but to initiate the abort.

On the other side of the issue, where do you as the AC/captain draw the line on when you are the sole authority for the abort? The point was made to me that you don't want a 250 hour pilot screaming abort at 2 knots prior to V1 for an anti-skid fail light. Also that you as the AC/captain have the responsibility and authority for everything that happens with that airplane and you should never delegate that during a critical phase. The co-pilot should call out what they see and the AC will make the decision accordingly.

I agree with both techniques in certain situations, but then again, I am speaking from little to no experience. Thanks to all the replies so far. Still looking for any other opinions.

Last edited:
We use almost the same briefing as JetPilot500, except we also throw in the detailed steps to be impemented in the event we lose an engine.

Latest resources

Back