How do you brief your departure?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MarineGrunt said:
On the other side of the issue, where do you as the AC/captain draw the line on when you are the sole authority for the abort? The point was made to me that you don't want a 250 hour pilot screaming abort at 2 knots prior to V1 for an anti-skid fail light.
Easy way around that is to give them the criteria at which an abort should only be called for. (Which should be part of your briefing anyways)

For instance:
"Below 80 knots, we'll stop for any calls. Above 80 knots, we're only stopping for an engine failure, fire, structural failure, or loss of directional control. After V1, we're not stopping."

Keeps it easy and simple if you have a lower time guy flying with you that doesn't undertsand what's considered true abort criteria.

MarineGrunt said:
If the co-pilot if the PF, is he supposed to wait for the AC (captain) to make the call as they're screaming off the runway? In that situation you have no choice but to initiate the abort.

On the other side of the issue, where do you as the AC/captain draw the line on when you are the sole authority for the abort? The point was made to me that you don't want a 250 hour pilot screaming abort at 2 knots prior to V1 for an anti-skid fail light. Also that you as the AC/captain have the responsibility and authority for everything that happens with that airplane and you should never delegate that during a critical phase. The co-pilot should call out what they see and the AC will make the decision accordingly.

Yes, as Captain you are responsible, and need to make the final decision. What I prefer my copilots to do is call "Abort--Antiskid fail". This gets me going on the abort, and gives me the reason for it so I can make the final call. If I have a 10,000-hour co-captain yelling abort, I'll probably start the abort when he's about halfway through "Antiskid". If it's a 250-hour pilot, I'll probably spend a few more microseconds evaluating.

As to the specific example, an antiskid failure shouldn't generate an abort call that close to V1...we abort for "any malfunction" prior to 80 knots, and between 80 and V1 only for "engine failure, engine fire, thrust reverser deployment, or loss of directional control". In the Falcons, we used to include "trim clacker" as well.

Obviously, the ONLY failure that's included in accelerate-stop or accelerate-go calculations is a "simple" engine failure, where it just rolls on back to nothing. Blown tires, system malfunctions, or pretty much anything else requires varying amounts of pilot judgement, but for the most part, unless it's an engine failure, fire, or loss of directional control, taking it into the air is probably preferable to a high-speed abort. (notice the "for the most part" and "probably" disclaimers...there are ABSOLUTELY NO ABSOLUTES in aviation).

Fly safe!
David

pilotpat said:
Marine Grunt - I feel your brief was correct - at least in civilian flying. I can't speak for military training.

"the aircraft commander should never delegate critical decisions to the co-pilot"

What if the "commander" wasn't doing a good job of commanding that day or he didn't see that little red light flash because he was looking down the runway as he should....?
Just my .02

The Captain, or "Aircraft Commander" if military, should always be the one to make the final decision whether to abort. The FO or Co-Pilot should certainly callout what he sees, but he should not be the one yelling out "Abort." This is especially true when flying with the newer guys. The last thing I need is a new FO calling out "abort" for an EFIS COMP MON msg at 110 knots. It's much better for him just to call out the EICAS message and then I can evaluate what to do.

PacoPollo said:
S.A.L.T.

Same
As
Last
Time

Rammstein: In

CD: Play

Volume: 9

Runway items: Complete

Relevant power lever: Max Take Off

Brakes: Release

Callouts: Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire.

check dis,
$hit go down for we be fast we be jaming da skids
after dat, we take it on the fly
don't do $hit tell 400 ft
I be drivin, you be jivin
take her around and land it southside

I like to use "If $hit goes down before we be fast we jammin on the skids. After that we takin it on the fly. I fly you floss dont touch $hit till 500 feet she be kinda light today so we bring her back on the southside. "

JetPilot500 said:
Pretty Simple Actually:

1. Discuss Any changes to normal procedures.
2. Review what you do if a problem occurs before V1. What you'll abort for and who does what.
3. Review what you do if a problem occurs after V1. Who does what and where you'll go.
4. Review clearance departure procedure.
5. Ask if the other pilot has any questions or any thing to add.

Example:

(1) "We'll use standard callouts and procedures today."
(2) "If anything abnormal occurs before 90 knots we will abort. After 90 but before V1 we'll abort only for a Fire, Engine Failure, Thrust Reverser Deployment or any loss of control. If we do abort you get the airbrakes and I'll apply maximum braking, throttles to idle and TR (thrust reverse) if its available."
(3) "Anything abnormal after V1, we'll take into the air. I'll fly the airplane and work the radios, you run the checklists. We'll return back to runway 36 if we need to."
(4) "The clearance states that we are to fly runway heading up to 3000' for vectors to XYZ."
(5) "Do you have any questions or comments?"
FWIW, I pretty much follow the above. However, I would like to add a couple of thoughts...

If you use phraseology such as "Standard Brief" or "SALT" or "As previously briefed" in the brief I would suggest that you consider incorporating at least one full briefing (usually the first flight of the day) into your SOPs.

I've flown with guys who habitually use the phrase "Standard Briefing" and I have no problem with that; however, after a period of time "Standard Briefing" begins to lose its original meaning (an abbreviated way of listing certain specific components) and simply becomes the meaningless phrase "Standard Briefing". I have, on occasion, asked those guys what the standard briefing was and in more than a few cases the response was "You know - the standard briefing." When pressed, they either couldn't tell me what the "standard briefing" was or at best had to think about it for a moment or two (or longer).

Shortcuts are nice and we all use them; however the next time you fly with a person who says "standard briefing" simply ask him what that is. If he doesn't know what it is or if your idea of what the standard briefing is doesn't correspond 100% to his then you know what you need to be doing.

'Sled

I brief that if you're a former marine named joe, you just sit in the seat and stay quiet unless I'm on fire because you're a jarhead!

just kidding

i read it on here a long while ago. for take off

what jetpilot500 said plus

Dear God, let these engines run for at least 5 minutes once I stand these mothers up.

Shaggy 135 Guy said:
I brief that if you're a former marine named joe, you just sit in the seat and stay quiet unless I'm on fire because you're a jarhead!

just kidding
I'm thinking of trying, "Just sit back and relax while I floss and fly this mo-fo all over this b!tch...."

Latest resources

Back