• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How do I find a good corporate job?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are averages "Average Starting Salary" or is that a CAREER AVERAGE?

A lot of guys at Corporate gigs have been there 20 years. With longevity pay steps they're going to push the average numbers up.

This is why it is important to know the Median and the Mode salary for each equipment type as well.

Legacy- I have most of the new salary surveys. Your pay is way below average.

Try to remember that your owner is probably paying $200,000 per month just in loan payments on your jet. At some point, somebody sat down with him and made a conscious decision to low-ball the pilots. Not cool.

What kind of salary is your CP bringing in?
-If it's less than $150K, I'll bet he's an ex-regional guy who's just giddy to be making the "big bucks".
-If it's more than $150K, I'll bet he told the boss, "You know what? There's a bunch of Regional guys we could hire to fly this thing for peanuts".

Either way there's something wrong.

LegacyDriver said:
Are averages "Average Starting Salary" or is that a CAREER AVERAGE?
Our dept. takes the "Average" NBAA figure and adds 15% for location. This is considered "starting pay" for a new PIC. If you had previous experience, your salary would be figured accordingly. A number of the senior pilots in our area are "off the chart".

Last edited:
Dude no way!

Well, I try to look at the bright side: I make $140/flight hour. At the Regional I was making $47 as a Captain on bigger equipment. Can you say "Arse rape" ?

I know we are low-balled. Legacy pilots should make $90K a year. But I also assume that is on-call 24/7 pilots and at least I am not in *that* boat. I'd kill myself.

:)

But...again, is the *AVERAGE* based on *all* pilots of *all* experience levels and *all* longevity numbers for that equipment?

If you have 3 guys with 20 years and one guy with 4 years you might get an average of $120,000 a year. But if you reversed it and had 3 guys with 4 years and one guy with 20 you might only see $80,000 for an average.

See what I mean?

I guess it would help to know what the NBAA survey is measuring.

Another vote for the kids...I mean look at my frigg'n avatar!!!

But as far as World is concerned, I have two friend that currently fly there. FWIW, one is a divirced father of two and the other is a bachelor. I can tell you that long trips away from his boy are not reconciled by the time at home. The single dude loves it for all the reasons a single guy would.

Tailwinds...

Legacy- It's a little troubling how you're justifying your wages. "$140/Flight Hour"? That sounds like my regional buddies who include per-diem when figuring their salaries. I guess it's a PT121 thing.

Yes, I don't much care for the lower salary justification that it's an "average" salary so new people start lower?

The h*ll with that. NBAA average salaries should be what you require to fly the aircraft. Let's not turn the LAST, BEST vestige of good flying jobs into regional paying equivalents.

Lear70 said:
Yes, I don't much care for the lower salary justification that it's an "average" salary so new people start lower?

The h*ll with that. NBAA average salaries should be what you require to fly the aircraft. Let's not turn the LAST, BEST vestige of good flying jobs into regional paying equivalents.
That's what I was trying to say. You just said it better.:)

LegacyDriver said:
Well, I try to look at the bright side: I make $140/flight hour
A couple of years a go I was around $550 an hour, now I'm down to $350 an hour....... frigging work !!!!!

I betcha HMR is around $1000 an hour, unless that 1 trip a month is a round the world tour;) !

Bottomline the airline per hour stuff doesn't work all that well with the corporate salary structure.

HMR said:
A number of the senior pilots in our area are "off the chart".
Exactly a lot of us believe the NBAA numbers are skewered way too low. I look at NBAA 90% percentile as the "realistic salary".

Latest resources

Back