• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How do I find a good corporate job?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would agree. I've had the misfortune of working for 3 regionals (two might have even been more traditional "commuters"), one national, and one major and I still can't believe that I was lucky enough to find one of those needles in the haystack.

I have a guaranteed schedule (no pager), NBAA average pay, and more time off than I ever imagined was possible -- so much time off, in fact, that I tend to get scared!

In the airlines time off meant they had no need for you. To me it meant a furlough was right around the corner.

Here it seems to be just a part of life. It may take years to get used to it.... but if this is standard procedure for a corporate operator -- well, I'm only sad that I wasted 10 years at the airlines!

Last edited:
I wouldn't trade my 15 years in the airlines for anything. I have great friends, great memories and great experience from that time.

I wouldn't trade what I have now for the airlines (as they are today) for anything. Commuting (or living in a crappy city in order to drive to work), TSA, bottom dollar management assisted by worthless unions, worrying about fuel prices, what line did I get?, vacation in February...AGAIN?!, who's buying us THIS time? and "what did the WSJ say about our cash position...?"

The business has changed forever. I got a piece of it when it was still decent (yeah, TWA in the '90's was still better than UAL or USAir today) and I'm content with that.

Gotta run, my Marriott Platinum card just came in the mail... ;) TC

Superpilot92 said:
Yeah and how many days on are you usually on before that 7 days off. Plus just because i am on for 4 days doesnt mean i worked them either. Plus i am still on probation so once i get a line i will have a lot better schedule. dont get me wrong i am sure corporate has its good sides also. I guess it depends on what you want.

Well I will give you a rundown of my schedule for the last two months....

June 1 - Ended a Trip (After Five On)
June 2-6 - Recurrent (I considered this OFF - TNG was half a day each)
June 6-26 OFF (20 Off)
June 26-July 4 - On (8 On)
July 5-19 - OFF (14 Off)
July 20-28 - On (8 On)
July 29-Aug 4 - Off (7 Off)
Aug 4 - Aug 13 - On (9 On)
Aug 13-29 - OFF (16 Off)

I go ON for 8 and will be OFF for 13 after this trip.

The REGIONALS *NEVER* GAVE ME THAT QOL even when a SENIOR F/O paired with Check Airman and getting trip releases with regularity. NEVER.

We stay in the best hotels (Embassy Suites or a VERY NICE HILTON/HAMPTON INN - not the hot sheet motels I stayed in with the airline), get crew meals, and are treated as humans not seniority numbers.

I have done the Regional thing and I say Corporate is hands down the winner by FAR.

No Regional gig in the world could beat this job...

Last edited:
semperfido said:
LG diff strokes fo diff folk- blanket statements rarely apply:)

You are right, but rules of thumb do apply. As a rule of thumb a Corporate gig beats a Regional one hands down. YMMV, true. I concede that point.

LegacyDriver.... but didn't I see another thread where you said you were considering leaving that "needle in the haystack" job?

BenderGonzales said:
LegacyDriver.... but didn't I see another thread where you said you were considering leaving that "needle in the haystack" job?

I am considering it, but...it is a tough one. I am working for a great group of people. The place I was contemplating going to is also a great bunch. I think it is possible to leave a "needle" job for another if you are REALLY lucky. It is a very tough choice and I am the first to admit that the unknown scares me quite a bit and might be enough to make me stay put. After all, I just bought a house and moving my kids around for the third time in a year is not necessarily fair to them. I have to take all of this into account.

I am in a very unique position. I have a great job right now and a great offer on the table. I must think it over carefully and decide.

I wish my current problems on everyone here--it's a great place to be, really it is.

Ok, we've discussed corporate vs regional. I'm up against a bigger dilemma. A shot a dream corporate or World Airways. At the corporate pay is better and the planes are cool but at World I could live anywhere in CONUS that has three airlines serving it, good pay, long trips but lots of time off too. Pretty hot flight attendants(so I've heard), exotic overnights and oh by the way the MD-11 is awesome and for good pay at that.

first year fo pay in the 40's, second in the 70's plus profit sharing
first year captain pay around 115k

Latest resources

Back