How do I find a good corporate job?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WestSide said:
I am currently working for an airline and want out. What is the best way to go about finding a good corporate job? Any help would be appreciated
without reading the other replies. . . MAKE FRIENDS!!

HMR said:
Legacy- It's a little troubling how you're justifying your wages. "$140/Flight Hour"? That sounds like my regional buddies who include per-diem when figuring their salaries. I guess it's a PT121 thing.

There is no real justification for it... Honestly. I came into the job *WITH* a type. But again, I get 2 days off for every day I work. Basically it's a vacation every time I come home. That you CANNOT BEAT anywhere.

I *KNOW* I am underpaid. But if I quit then I am out of a job and ten people will jump over themselves to take my spot.

This is the most pressure-free job I have ever had. My CHQ experience was a living nightmare. That probably clouds my vision some.

501261 said:
Exactly a lot of us believe the NBAA numbers are skewered way too low. I look at NBAA 90% percentile as the "realistic salary".
That's what most of my "seasoned" PT91 buddies say. I never hear any complaints from them (other than golf scores, poor sailing conditions, etc.;)).

501261 said:
I betcha HMR is around $1000 an hour, unless that 1 trip a month is a round the world tour;) !
Oh c'mon, nobody takes an Astra around the world.:p

Man you guys are making me depressed. I am so far in debt and this is why I'll never get out of it. I keep finding these low-ball jobs! :)

LegacyDriver said:
Man you guys are making me depressed. I am so far in debt and this is why I'll never get out of it. I keep finding these low-ball jobs! :)

Hey....if you enjoy your job the way you say you do --then just enjoy it! life's too short and this ain't no dress rehersal. quit listening to all this stuff. sometimes it takes years with a particular company to get the pay where it should be. just enjoy and the rest takes care of itself.:)

Lear70 said:
Whoaaa, wait a second. Good Corporate Gig + good pay + BBJ, G-IV, CL-65 (all large cabin class jets) = $40,000 to start, $70,000 as Captain?

No offense, but those are some of the worst pay rates for those classes of aircraft I have ever seen in my life. Am I missing something? Those aren't even CLOSE to NBAA numbers for those aircraft.

Should be closer to $60-75k for a starting F/O, $95-125k for Captain (both categories depending on region), plus benefits such as full medical, dental, 401k with a good employer match, vacation, and sick leave.

Wouldn't leave my regional job for anything less... which is probably why I'm still here. Sure as h*ll wouldn't take a pay CUT (from my $75k 5th year Regional Capt pay averaging 13 days of a month) to $40k for an F/O? On a Gulfstream?

There must be something I'm missing here...

Oh yeah, another vote for "stay with the kids". My wife was divorced with a 9 year old little girl and I wouldn't ask her to move for anything in the world unless it was to somewhere within an hour's or so drive - that just wouldn't be fair to either the little girl, her dad, or my wife having to drive back and forth. Plus, it'd be just like commuting if you were swapping kids every weekend over 200 miles or more of road.

Man you got it backwards, 40,000 to start at World, $75k second year FO. $75K to start at the corporate outfit. Both places Captain pay ends up about the same.

Yeah, someone else pointed that out. Thanks for the clarification, I knew that didn't sound right. :)

Good luck if you choose World... I've had friends of mine trying to get me to go to work for a lot of those freight guys and if I hadn't gotten married two years ago... Those guys have a LOT of fun overseas for two or three weeks at a time!

Oh, and if the corporate gig you're leaving is in the area of BNA, TYS, CHA, MEM, SDF, or ATL, I can forward you my resume to leave on their desk with your two week's notice... ;)

Good luck with your decision! :D

Finding Corporate Jobs?

I started out flying corporate with a great company, then went to the airline side of this crazy business. Its been one hell of a roller coaster ride. Went back to corporate with another strong company, but left due to the fact I had to work with a complete idiot, either he was going to kill me or visa-versa, now I'm back at my old airline job and crossing my fingers.
My point is there is no guarantee in this industry of a secure job in anything you do! I know some friends working for fortune 100 companies and have downsized and are now looking for work. Network, Network! I see a lot of corporate flight departments changing in the near future. One company in the midwest will have a complete change-over due to retirements, so there are jobs out there to be found.
Jumping from the airline to corporate side can be tricky, depends on who is doing the hiring. Some Chief Pilots wont hire airline guys, why? who knows. Keep pounding the pavement, sooner or later, something will come along. Find a NBAA Member directory, its a great resource of information on who is flying what! If you know anybody in the corporate world, give them a call and network, network.
All this has been said numerous times, dont give up!

I should have written that number down - truck driving school years ago!!!

Good luck.......

we all need it in this F$#$#cked up industry!!!!

How much power do they need? My gawd the plane has FIVE generators that can put out 400A apiece(!). Seems like a lot.

Also you are talking about a base airplane that is roughly 30000 lbs BOW. MTOW is over 50000 lbs on the XR I believe. How heavy is all this stuff?

Latest resources

Back