• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How do I figure time to log from Tach?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The word creative was dripping with sarcasim. And yes it was real they got busted, all their tickets were pulled (there were like 2 or 3 people in on it) at least thats what I heard about the results.

As far as Darwin, well they are alive and are able to procreate so unfortunately they need to die with out spawning to get a child (I think there is a clause if the father and child die in the same accident).

log per the FAR

YODA has it right. No where in the regs does it say to log time by the hobbs or by the tach. These methods are accepted because you are paying for the time. I would hesitate at any "conversion factors". If you feel that the hobbs or tach is less than the definition in FAR 1.1 then use that.

ps. The time will come, I think you will find that if you use a method that you can point to in the book, your professionalism will be acknowledged.

The FAR YODA quoted regarding Flight Time is accurate:
Pilot time that commences when an aircraft moves under its own power for the purpose of flight and ends when the aircraft comes to rest after landing
However I believe the interpretation is incorrect.

Pilot time that commences when an aircraft moves under its own power for the purpose of flight
--Flight time would begin the minute you start taxiing the aircraft for the purpose of flight, even before the takeoff roll.

and ends when the aircraft comes to rest after landing
--Flight time would end the minute you stop taxiing the aircraft after the flight is concluded.

This may be splitting hairs and if anyone would like to add or detract from my interpretation, I'd love to hear it.

Again, I record the time when I start the engine and when I shut it down. Unless you like to spend a whole lot of time and money idling on the ramp, this is usually pretty accurate.

..more...

I know what the total engine run time was on a few flights, and on others, I have no idea as to time except for the Tach.

Therefore I have to make an educated guess. Multiplying times 1.2 is too much for my particular plane, seems like adding .2 or .25 to each is about right.

At any rate, they replaced my Hobbes on my fresh $6800 (owwwww) annual, so it will be moot from now on.

I know the definition, and you can split hairs, but I'd say the vast majority of people log Hobbes, even though technically the flight time should always be less. Do you crank and immediately begin taxi or flip the master on then immediately taxi? Nope.

Plus, when you start the engine, the plane does begin to 'move' for the purpose of flight, the prop goes around, the pistons go up and down etc. :)

I was just looking for a generally accepted method, and the multiplying the tach seems like a good rule of thumb. I'm sure a few hours at most will come out in the wash later. Or who knows, may already have.

We're talking a max diff of maybe 5 hours, probably more like 3-4 hours total.

If some company on an interview has a problem with that and my best guess I'm pretty sure I don't want to work there, they probably count the squares of TP in the lav too.

:p

I've heard of students getting booted out of planes and clubs for firing them up, climbing to altitude and then "proving" that the plane's engine can run just fine with the master turned off. The hobbs would stop running and the person would do say an hour and a half of flying while paying for only an hour. Of course, the reality that you have no alternator, no transponder, no lights, no radios might be a deterent for the more sane pilots in the world

Thats why I like this board...I always learn new things! What a novel idea. I am in a club and we use tach time, so I have not spent much time thinking about this.

If you are on a long cross country during the day in the middle of nowhere, do you really need a radio, transponder and lights? 40 years ago you had none of those things anyway. You would also lose your turn coordinator too...but...its a thought. Whats the down side to turning off the alternator for a while? I suppose the battery would slowly drain from any electrical equipment accidentally left on.

The FBO should be able to catch this based on their fuel receipts. How the h*** did he burn 30 gallons of gas in one hour? A devious person could just fill up along the way.

Its an interesting thought, but I'm too honest to try and pull it off.

>>>>reality that you have no alternator, no transponder, no lights, no radios might be a deterent for the more sane pilots in the world.

Hmmm, I've flown a few planes with no alternator, transponder, lights or radios. I did some of my private training in a luscome with no electrical system. It's fun, not insane

>>>>>>>You would also lose your turn coordinator too...but...its a thought.

Umm yeah, but do you really need a turn coordinator on a VFR flight? (i'm assuming they aren't turning the master off on IFR cross countries)
I used to give tailwheel checkouts in a Citabria with no gyros. I was constantly amazed at how many pilots couldn't keep the wings level without an attitude indicator .... folks, your primary flight instrument in VFR is your windshield

Shawn,

I have to admit, I just don't get it .... we're in aviation because it's fun, right? I suppose I could see trying to fly time you didn't pay for (understand, not agree with) but paying for time you didn't fly???? I'm scratching my head here. Oh well......

BTW, Most FBO's I've rented from kept track of both hobbs and tach time in the logs. THat would make it easy to catch those who were shutting off the hobbs to get free flying, and those who were running the master to run the hobbs on the ground..... for whatever reason

regards

Last edited:
However, that devious person who decides to fill up with gas before coming in to hide that extra gas used will end up spending just as much probably as he would to honestly pay that 30 mins of flight time that he is trying to cheat the FBO out of, so in a sense it wouldnt matter. If an FBO keeps good aircraft records, I think they would figure it out eventually.

I got the new Hobbes put in, and times are

.51 Tach .7 Hobbes
.52 Tach .9 Hobbes

Looks like adding .3 to each tach would give me the 1.6 total, so I'll fly a little more and see what happens. Looks like adding .3 so far would work.

Has anyone ever heard of any anal retentives having a problem with logging Hobbes vs. actual 'flight time' as defined in FAR part 1?

a timex triathalon watch...

will solve this issue, period. Buy a $29.99 Timex Triathalon digital watch at Wally-World or Walgreens and just time it that way.

Fly safe!!!

:)

And a time machine so I can go back and time those first flights or the ones where I forgot to hack my watch.

Which should I get, the newer ones powered by a quantum singularity or the older (but more reliable) ones with reverse fusion anti-matter reaction battery? What about the optional 'mutate' capacity?

Those are going for just over 10K on Ebay right now due to all the hard radiation they put out. Man, that lead suit is ITCHY.

I hear the ones made in the M589 colonies are the best, if you can find one this far out on the rim.

Latest resources

Back