• Running drugs (can you log that?)

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • Daddy got me my first job

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • I'm still stuck.

Votes: 12 14.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Flew skydivers, traffic watch, and flight instruction untill 1100 hrs then right seat charter BE200. Do what ever it takes.

Instructed 'til 1100 hours TT, then begged a local corporate aircraft management company for a job. Flew with them for about a year and a half and got another 650 hours or so in Cessna 210's, Barons, and right seat in King Air 90's and 200's (as well as instructing some more for some of our clients who wanted to obtain certificates and ratings). Had a friend walk my resume into ACA, got the interview, and am currently fat, dumb, and happy flying the CRJ.

The problem I see with this, in the present state of things. Is that there is practically zero CFI jobs out there. I'm a CFII and haven't been able to find even part-time gigs. I've sent out roughly 50 resumes and haven't heard a word, maybe it's because I'm in a hiring pool right now. But the catch 22 of it is that they won't hire me until I get more flight time and nobody else will hire me because of me being in the hiring pool at this said airline. It's terrible out there, really it is. Maybe I'm not expanding my horizon's enough but there seriously isn't anything in the Midwest. When I began my flight training a few years ago, people all around were practically begging for CFI's, and I do remember those times, but that's not the case anymore. In the meanwhile, I'll spend every extra dime I have on flight time and keep on sending and faxing out those resumes until I get a bite. I'm even thinking of reenrolling in school just to have a part-time CFI job. I hope things go well with you and for others, I wish the best of luck to you and I hope that everybody finds employment doing what they like, flying, whatever type of flying that may be.

Hiring frustration

PUflight said:
I'm a CFII and haven't been able to find even part-time gigs. I've sent out roughly 50 resumes and haven't heard a word . . .
You haven't tried hard enough. Believe me, I know. It took me nearly a year to get my first job, and I already had some time under my belt. This was in 1988, when there was all kinds of hiring going on.

You have to keep pumping out those resumes. Fifty is not nearly enough. Send out another hundred. You might get three calls from the one hundred fifty. I don't think that I'd admit to being in a pool up front, if that's what you're doing. That, in and of itself, might be cutting you off from interviews.

Good luck with your job search.

you missed one

Joined the military.

Instruction, ferrying, aerial pictures and survey, pt. 134.5.

Don't be afraid to be assertive and shamelessly self promotive. I talked a local charter operation into giving me a VFR 135 checkride at 800 hrs. Then when I hit 1200, I took the IFR ride.

That dang cross country time is the most elusive. Try to hit up little airports with your students whenever you can. Any airport to airport time is counted for 135.

Old Post that fits

Any one reading this board can make it as a pilot provided the talent and desire are there and eventually make it to a point where they can live on what they make, it may not be a "major", but it might be a good charter operation, a good corporate job, a regional, or something involving flying airplanes. It is hard, it is lots of moves, you go where the next job is, it is living in flop houses with 4 other pilots and one bathroom down the hall, it is not buying any new underwear for one year, it is driving a car that you jump start from the battery you keep in the apt on a charger, it is being 100% subservient to your bosses wishes until you can move to your next job and he gives you a good recommendation, it is saying no to your brothers birthday party, it is saying no to being home a Christmas. Come to think about it, this sounds alot like being in the Navy, except for the underwear part. They made us get new stuff. You do not need a 4 yr degree to make it as a successful pilot, in fact you may get to the non "major" level of flying quicker without the time wasted in the pursuit of the 4 yr degree, you need a talent for flying, you need a most gracious personality that focuses on what you can give and not what you can take, and a goal is sight that you will pursue no matter what. Family, girl fiends (more than one night) , babies, do not count, they only get in the way. I have had more than one flight student, older guys starting flying in their late 40's early 50's, tell me they wished they had it all to do over again, they would gone into flying as soon as they could of, but Suzy (girl friend) wanted the house, the babies, the family lifestyle, and they thought there would be time later, but once the commitments come and you elect to honor them, there is no later, until all the kids have left home and you are semi free again.

1200 hours?

QUOTE]to the 1200 or so to become employible or to your first right seat, etc..[/QUOTE]

ummm .... did I miss something? I've got 1300+ and I know lots of guys with 1500+, 2000+, etc. who can't get a right seat in anything but a 172.

that 1200 number is a relic of the pre-9/11 days, at least for most of us.

You bet it is a relic

spitfire1940 said:
I've got 1300+ and I know lots of guys with 1500+, 2000+, etc. who can't get a right seat in anything but a 172.

that 1200 number is a relic of the pre-9/11 days, at least for most of us.
I cannot believe how spoiled some of you guys/gals are. In the late '80s and '90s, 1500 total, 500 multi and the ATP were standard minimum quals at most commuters for street hires - and NO guarantee of an interview. Actual interview quals were much higher. And people fretted and whined about it. Anything less? Forget it. I got my first interview in 1990 with 2800 total and 630 of multi. The 1500 total-500 multi were reductions from a few years before when the mins were 3000 total and G-d knows how much multi.

I disagree with Yip's post to the extent that anyone can make it provided that the talent and desire is there. Did I read anything about "luck," "being in the right place at the right time," and "offering the best credentials that you have in your power to offer" in his comments? His degree comment has already been discussed ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

Good luck to all with their respective job searches.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back