Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How did you aquire your multi-engine time???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
What are the typical minimums required by airlines in regards to multi-engine time? 500 hours or so??? I don't think anybody can afford to straight-out rent an airplane to aquire that type of time. Just interested in how you may have aquired your multi-engine time.

I was lucky building my multi time. I got my MEI as soon as I finished my CFI (within a month) and starting sharing flight time with some buddies. After about a month of that, I met a guy through Angel Flight that owned a 310. We flew together a bit on some missions, and then he started letting me use his plane to fly missions on my own. I did a trip to Oshkosh in that plane, which racked up about 25 hours. Then my big break came. The guy that owned the flight school where I did most of my training asked me if I wanted to fly to Mexico with him in his 421. By the time the trip was over, I was offered a job flight instructing at his school. The kicker - I'd be the main multi instructor. We had several Belgium and Dutch students fly in to get their ratings and build 100 hours. Within three to four months I had 300 hours of multi time. Got an interview almost immediately at a regional airline, where I built the rest of my multi time :)

I never went the CFI route (only have 100 or so hours dual given). I was hired by a aerial photography company with 500 hours flying C172 around the country. In 6 months or so, I had enough survey flight time to get with a company that basically did the same type of flying but with an all twin fleet. The value of pervious survey flight time was more important then pervious multi time. Now have 2200 with 1200 multi and 2 years of survey flight time.

I did mine as an MEI. Flew a little bit with buddies. I agree with the Angel flight deal. i did that also and its a good way to build contacts also and do a good deed. good luck

UnAnswerd said:
Just interested in how you may have aquired your multi-engine time.

I sat in the backseat as an MEI, while two guys up front split (and paid for) the time.

Just kidding, just kidding....:rolleyes:

My friend told me he just divided his single engine time by 2

rt seat 135 in a PA31-350 till I had the 135 pic mins then over to the left for a year until getting hired at a 121 outfit in 1999. When I got the 121 job I had a ATP and 1900tt, 1100 multi and 700 or so multi pic with about 1500 total pic.

I was standing in the right place at the right time and got the 135 job at 360tt.

Latest resources

Back