Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How bad is it to break a training contract??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Smash312

Am currently at Mesa. They seem to be very unorganized and I have a few friends who've been there for almost 2 years anf they've just jumped ship to other regionals. It got me thinking. I know seniority is everything - and if these people are running for their lives 2 years into being at Mesa then should I bail out while I can (been there less than 6 mths). Now I know they have a one year training contract on our heads - and I've heard all sort s of things about if these can be enforced or not. I'm just not sure.

I've been offered an interview at ExpressJet flying the same aircraft I have my SIC type on (ERJ). I feel confident about performing well in the interview. Mesa has had us sitting around for over 2 months waiting....for IOE. And it seem like we won't be making our dates for consolidation. Would it be straight-forward, sensible or even wise to bail out to go to ExpressJet. I know some people would call this a no brainer, but having looked at most of the regionals they seem to be within a few bucks of each other in terms of pay. So thats not a major factor. QOL seems to be a bing one. I've not even made the line at Mesa and I can see how they can give people the run around and well, just make life a little difficult. I hear some very negative things from people who've been there a while, but then don't know if I'm just coming across the wrong type of people. I don't want to come across as being someone that is whining for the heck of it, but I want to see if these people leaving Mesa know something I don't.

I don't want to leave a regional for another regional after a year or two (like I've seen some people doing). It seems like a lateral move as opposed to an upward one. But If some people are doing it after being at a regional for a year or so, well - I guess there is some good reason why. Can someone enlighen me?

Please, only helpful replies only. Thanks.

Well, you signed the training agreement, did you not? So if you bail before it expires, you'll probably going to have to pay.

Good luck!

Depends on what's most important to you. If you want a good QOL then go to XJT and get the heck out of Mesa. If you can put up with Mesa's B.S. for a couple years get your time and get out then go for it. I guess it also depends on whether you can afford to pay the contract out or not? Do what you want to do because you're going to have to live with it for the next couple years. Don't quit Mesa before you have another job though! Good luck!

I am assuming your training contract is one year. I would stick it out and finish that up first. You made a promise, live by your word. It may or may not be enforceable but you might as well be a stand up guy and deal with it. As far as jumping ship otherwise. You're there now, I would just make the best of it, get your time, you should upgrade in a short amount of time, get that PIC time and then MOVE ON! The time will fly by before you know it. But ultimately you know what you have to do and you know your situation (maybe you have a family to support?), so do what you "have to do".

Yeah - I fear the fact that regardless if the contract is enforceable or not, I don't want an employer (if the future) calling up for a reference and then the bag of worms about this contract not being honored coming up. That wouldn't do me justice. I think I'll see the contract out - yes it is a one year contract. I think I will go to the ExpressJet interview for experience though.

Yeah - I fear the fact that regardless if the contract is enforceable or not, I don't want an employer (if the future) calling up for a reference and then the bag of worms about this contract not being honored coming up. That wouldn't do me justice. I think I'll see the contract out - yes it is a one year contract. I think I will go to the ExpressJet interview for experience though.

According to the PRIA training contracts can not be disclosed as part of your file that gets pulled during the background check. They are not allowed to discuss that. Do what is best for you. Have a lawyer look it over for you and see what he says. The smart thing to do would have been to sign the date one year early. If Mesa is unorganized as some claim they may not have even caught it lol. Then when they go back to enforce it you can say sorry I signed that well over a year ago. If they didn't catch it it is their problem and no longer a factor. If enough people would refuse to sign the contract then maybe you wouldn't have to sign one to begin with. If everyone simply refuses to sign they aren't going to fire the entire class. Trust me if they need pilots as they say they do they will simply have to waive the training note.

I left Mesa after 6 months. In August I reveived a bill for 8000.00 bucks. Best 8000.00 bucks I ever spent, until I realized I didnt have a job anymore.

Don't know if that is true or not but they can sure as hell ask if you are eligible for rehire.

That is true, read the advisory circular about the PRIA. As far as eligable for rehire all I know is there are a lot of former Mesa people at skywest. While I do not know the results of their background checks obviously it was good enough for them to get hired. BTW lots of former mesa people at all regionals from what I have heard left within under a year. I don't think anyone takes Mesa seriously at all with regards to anything. Everyone knows they are a clown operation in every sense. They will screw you in a heartbeat so you might as well screw them.

That is true, read the advisory circular about the PRIA. As far as eligable for rehire all I know is there are a lot of former Mesa people at skywest. While I do not know the results of their background checks obviously it was good enough for them to get hired. BTW lots of former mesa people at all regionals from what I have heard left within under a year. I don't think anyone takes Mesa seriously at all with regards to anything. Everyone knows they are a clown operation in every sense. They will screw you in a heartbeat so you might as well screw them.

I agree with this. Mesa is not worth your concern or consideration.

Furthermore, contrary to what some folks have said, you never committed to work there for any length of time at all (do you think THEY feel committed to employ YOU for a year if it doesn't suit their needs? ROTFLMAO). The training contract is just business, has nothing to do with honor.

I definately know one pilot who left well under a year and didn't pay anything. that was a while ago, so I'm not sure what the status is on all that today. You probably want to talk to actual ex-mesa pilots who bailed on the contract recently...there are a sh*t-load of them out there.

Latest resources

Back