Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How bad is it to break a training contract??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am really surprised at the lack of integrity from people these days. Suddenly a promise isnt a "promise" anymore. Regardless of what Mesa would do to YOU, what were your intentions when you signed the contract? People can take a lot of things away from you but in the end, the one thing you can say that nobody took away from you was your integrity. OK, off my soapbox now.

I am really surprised at the lack of integrity from people these days. Suddenly a promise isnt a "promise" anymore. Regardless of what Mesa would do to YOU, what were your intentions when you signed the contract? People can take a lot of things away from you but in the end, the one thing you can say that nobody took away from you was your integrity. OK, off my soapbox now.

In the end you still do whats best for you. Mesa screws everyone over so they deserve the same treatment. In my opinion though any company that makes you sign any type of contract like that isn't worth going to. This is why I never went to Mesa. Maybe if the pay was decent I can see wanting someone to sign a training contract but this is still Mesa we are talking about.

smash-
If you want to leave Mesa then get the fukc out! Seriously, don't let a stupid training contract hold you back.

I've talked with a few lawyer friends and they said paying back any kinda of training contract would be hard to hold up in court. They have to prove they go after everyone for breaking the contract. We all know they don't so you can argue why are they singled you out.

No - I haven't finished IOE yet. My ExpressJet interview is halfway though my IOE. I have a few (or maybe many) days off around the interview date as my schedule isn't set in stone. I'm not assuming I'm hired at ExpressJet yet - but I feel good about the interview. I wouldn't jump until something was certain. But to be honest with you I don't know I want people chasing me for any sum of money, $8k or $1k - it can become miserable - will probably just see out the 1 year term.

i'd have no problem breaking a training contract with any airline. do you think you could make them sign a contract that says they promise to keep you employed no matter how bad things get for a year?

Contract

Doesn't contract enforcement depend upon what state it was signed in?

If it is an "at will" state (Texas). They can't enforce it. I had a friend at Colgan leave (before a year) and they could not do anything.

I don't know call the union attorney. They would know best. Another thing to check into is if Mesa has enforced the training contact on people that have left before.

G'luck

You're done with training, the interview, etc. Why do it again? For the hope of greener pastures in an uncertain industry? En vogue regional of today may be the crap hole of tomorrow. Stay put, suck it up, upgrade and get out.

You should have known about all of this, the contract, QOL, other MESA specific issues before you went there. It's on the web and I am sure you talked to a pilot or two.

Get a purple sleeping board, buck up and try to enjoy it.

When does the contract start? Most places (or I should say Some Places) it won't come into effect until you get through IOE.

Latest resources

Back