Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How bad is it to break a training contract??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You have not completed IOE. You are not a qualified crewmember on Mesa's equipment, thus not available to work in the capacity in which you were hired. The contract is not binding until you complete training. Training runs through the completion of the Initial Operating Experience. If not, Mesa wouldn't do it. RUN......RUN FASTER......

I don't know call the union attorney
Yeah, good luck with that. No union attorney will instruct their client (represented pilot) to knowingly default on a contract. It puts them in litigation and thus costs them money. It'll go someting like this:

Pilot - Yeah, I was wondering if Mesa's contract is enforceable?

Union attorney - Yes. You should not quit until the end of the term. That's what the contract says. Next item.....

You're done with training, the interview, etc. Why do it again? For the hope of greener pastures in an uncertain industry? En vogue regional of today may be the crap hole of tomorrow. Stay put, suck it up, upgrade and get out.

You should have known about all of this, the contract, QOL, other MESA specific issues before you went there. It's on the web and I am sure you talked to a pilot or two.

Get a purple sleeping board, buck up and try to enjoy it.

Constructive. Thanks - you are right, I did know what I was getting myself into - I think! Just didn't believe all the folks before me. I guess it'll teach me! I suppose learning from other folks experiences will always help. There are others the world over (myself included) that have to try it to believe it. Guess I'll have to believe the wise folks before me in this business.

not that you would ever take it this far...but to the best of my knowledge..almost none of these regional training contracts would hold up in court, if they came after you for money..FWIW....not saying its a good idea to bail...I know plenty of people that bailed from Lakes to move on before theyres was up and nothing ever came of it.....

1. they will get there money from you. Talk to any lawyer and they will verify that. Trust me I've been through it and had to pay in court.

2. do what is best for you, not mesa. if you must break the contract, that's the cost mesa will get for doing business considering your contract is not as much as it really cost them to train you. don't feel bad - you need to look out for yourself. screw these dirty companys. we do our share buy working for free.

I know a few guys that left here before they finished IOE and they never got a bill from Mesa. If you're going to leave do it before you finish IOE. With that being said, after almost 3 years here, I am finally joining the ranks of LAMA in 2 weeks! :beer:

These contracts are swiss chees in the majority of the United States....States that are "Right to Work States" also have stipulations on these contracts. The crookedest things companies like Mesa do is claim these training costs when paying taxes, and then come after you for the money. In essence, they are collecting on that money twice. If they were to come after you, I would advise them of this practice and it is illegal and your lawyer will be in contact with them for tax fraud in addition of said hollow contract. Id advise the $135 ALPA membership/legal counsel. These folks are eager to help and decent at aviation law. ************************* Whornstein

When does the contract start? Most places (or I should say Some Places) it won't come into effect until you get through IOE.

I am 99% certain that they cannot enforce that contract prior to completion of IOE. This has been demonstrated by a number of ex-mesa pilots, but if you want the sure answer contact an AZ attorney.

1. they will get there money from you. Talk to any lawyer and they will verify that. Trust me I've been through it and had to pay in court.

2. do what is best for you, not mesa. if you must break the contract, that's the cost mesa will get for doing business considering your contract is not as much as it really cost them to train you. don't feel bad - you need to look out for yourself. screw these dirty companys. we do our share buy working for free.

I stand corrected

Latest resources

Back