• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

House Bill Extends Pilot Retirement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All of our founding fathers knew that Democracy (i.e., majority rule) was a very bad thing, but this is something our generation has forgoten. Just a reminder to everyone that America is a Republic and NOT a democracy. The majority do not rule. We elect leaders to make the decisions for us and our elected leader for ALPA was John Pratter. He has no obligation to do what the membership desires. We don't need another leader (e.g, Hillary Clinton) that only makes decisions based on the Polls.

Then they shouldn't bother polling the membership if they intend to ignore us anyway. The fundamental of the ALPA triangle is broken.

It is not about an obligation, i tis about a commitment to your membership to do the right thing.

Why bother making a comment? Prater will once again ignore the wishes of the membership.

I love it... justified apathy!! You go girl!

I'm not feeling to ALPA friendly these days. I'm sure there will be a lecture after this comment from REZ and his lapdog PCL.

Naw..... you got your Dad.... Whether he is right or wrong... what Dad says is going to stick...

I love it... justified apathy!! You go girl!

Naw..... you got your Dad.... Whether he is right or wrong... what Dad says is going to stick...

Dad was right. Dad would also say you are an ignorant tool. Scratch that. I am saying it.

I'm only 27, so I know this will hurt me. But, the only concern junior pilots seem to have is career progression and the "its always been this way" attitude.

All of our founding fathers knew that Democracy (i.e., majority rule) was a very bad thing, but this is something our generation has forgoten. Just a reminder to everyone that America is a Republic and NOT a democracy. The majority do not rule. We elect leaders to make the decisions for us and our elected leader for ALPA was John Pratter. He has no obligation to do what the membership desires. We don't need another leader (e.g, Hillary Clinton) that only makes decisions based on the Polls

Nice observation... the problem is... no generation, let alone any civilization has demonstrated they can handle pure democracy.

When declaring your rights don't forget your responsbilities.

With freedom comes repsonsibility.

In other words, look at any given local and state election. NO ONE BOTHERS TO SHOW UP!! Democracy is too inconvienent for Americans!!

Congressional elections are in the minority! The guys that changing the age 60 rule in Congress were elected by a minority number of citizens!

There is a reason the status reps vote for the ALPA president. Because the avg. ALPA member has not taken the proper level of repsonsbility. The vote would be a pop culture show, with the elected guy or gal being who every has the snappiest slogan and best gimmicks.

Then they shouldn't bother polling the membership if they intend to ignore us anyway. The fundamental of the ALPA triangle is broken.

C'mon sister.... just because the ALPA membership negates thier responsibilites doesn't mean the Officers should. that would be too easy for you. Sorry. Some of us take the profession too seriously to make it too convienent for you to be irresponsibile.

The ALPA triangle? Like a Trinity?

It is not about an obligation, i tis about a commitment to your membership to do the right thing.

Did you take the survey? yes/no?

Do you recall THE question?

Dad was right. Dad would also say you are an ignorant tool. Scratch that. I am saying it.

You've gotten down to name calling... nice. So the importance of age 60/65 and ALPA's creditibility comes down to me being a tool. Understood.

Last edited:
Well, Beetle, that's part of it. The other part is that as a 26 year old, I simply have no intention of working until age 65. If I can help it, I'd retire before 60. Now as much as everyone seems to think this will only affect a handful that will fly to 65 and the majority will still retire at 60, by the time we get there 65 will be completely normalized and 60 will be "early" retirement with various penalties no doubt attached. Those who were clammering to raise the age didn't realize that age 60 retirement is one of the few good things left about the job. As much of a toll as flying takes on the health, Age 60 at least gives you a few years to get out there and enjoy life before kicking off.

Beetle007 said:
But, the only concern junior pilots seem to have is career progression and the "its always been this way" attitude.

Why should junior pilots be concerned with anything else? After all, the primary effect this change will have to pilots (junior or senior) will be felt in their wallets and checkbooks.

Its not like senior pilots, the same ones who benefited their whole careers from career progression due to age 60 retirement above them, are concerned with the negative effects this is going to have on the junior pilot.

The senior pilots pushing for this are just as selfish and greedy as the junior pilots who have been fighting against it. After all, is it truly "fair" to provide a segment of the workforce with the career windfall an immediate change to 65 would cause when air traffic controller still have mandatory retirement at 56?

The difference is MONEY and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Remember the movie animal house? I can picture those two as the character of the ROTC guy in the end of the movie telling people to "remain calm, remain calm" as the stampede of the townspeople flattens him to the pavement.

The stampede in this situation is going to be the membership fleeing to decertify while REZ and PCL are standing there saying: "It's your fault, you are not involved"

now that is funny.

sadly true comparison, but funny

In PCL's defense (not that he needs me to do so) he's been highly outspoken against Prater regarding Age 65 on this board.

He may be an ALPA supporter, but he doesn't want it to change any more than we do, folks...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back