• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Horizon pilot "in action"!!! Awesome!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just thought I would set the record straight. It was a jumpseater who filmed the takeoff. The FO was "in" the picture and might be in some trouble. It might have been his camera or something.

I wish I could have seen it. . .

Was it your first time flying or something?

We just got an apoplectic letter from our POI informing us that they'll be monitoring YouTube from this point forward. They have one person they want to hang, pending identification.

15 years late, the FAA suddenly discovered the internet. I don't know who's dumber, the moron who posted their stuff on YouTube or the morons charged with regulating us who never thought to look there.

The Issue?

I haven't seen the specific videos in question, but does the issue revolve more around sterile cockpit rather than a camera being used?

Does Horizon's GOM specifically prohibit the use of a video camera during t/o and land or below 10,000 feet? I guess my question is: can the PIC give the OK to a jumpseater to use a video camera as long as sterile cockpit is observed?

I think this is absolutely stupid for the FAA to get involved.. don 't they have better things to do, besides, I know of an FAA inspector guilty of doing the same thing a few years ago.. gezzz

If you want to do something contrary to Federal Regulations, you risk enforcement from the FAA. If you want to videotape you doing something against Federal Regulations, you've done most of the documentation for the FAA Inspector. Now, if you want to POST the video of you doing something against Federal Regulations for the whole world to see...

I don't see how the FAA is being stupid for getting involved in this. Was it a blatent disregard for safety? Probably not.

But look at it this way...Say our ever factual and non-biased national media member starts putting together a story about all the YouTube videos pilots are taking while flying. I bet they would title the expose: "Pilots goofing around and making films when they should be concentrating on safely flying your family...story at 11."

Eventually the FAA will have to answer to the American Public (who now thinks every pilot is doing this) as to why they didn't do anything to stop this.

Just looking at it from a different angle.

wow look ...a runway in the distance, it gets bigger, the plane lands on it.....amazing. Why do people film this and even think others want to see it anyway? Dorks.

Well yes, and no.

Skywest had about the best video of this type I'd ever seen a couple of years ago. Yanked down, of course.

BTW . . . Pilots ARE "dorks", by and large, and that stupid love for the plane and the job is what keeps us in this crazy career field.

The most miserable pilots out there are the one's who only see it as a paycheck . . that's pretty much a guarantee for disappointment.

Latest resources

Back