• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Horizon Air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just to put things in perspective for everyone, SteveAir is not accurate on Horizon or SkyWest. He has little industry knowledge.

Last edited:
a little off topic...

Sioux115 said:
I've been in DEN with a bid in for PDX for 7mos. now. No word on when they would transfer me. It all depends on when they need more FO's in PDX.

Since you are in DEN does that mean that you are flying the CRJ?

This is only the third thread I have read here, but it seems that Dash8 new hires are based in PDX and SEA- not DEN? Is that correct?

If an applicant only has 2 years of college are the flight time minimums much much higher?

I'm getting ready to go off to one of those flight training academies (ATP's 90 day program) and am planning to instruct for well over a year (instead of trying to go to XpressJet with only 600 hours!).

I was reading a thread here about Captains' annoyance with the lack of experience that 210 hour FOs have (SCARY!) and figure that ATP's 85 hours of cross country Seminole flying will give me good experience with weather and with the IFR system, compared to an FBO.

What training route do regional pilots think makes the best pilot?

A friend of mine has a contact at Ameriflight, so once I have 1200 hours (from multi instructing at ATP) I could go there if Horizon doesn't want to hire someone who only has 2 years of college and 1200TT/800multi.

I am from Seattle and don't care about waiting 8 years to upgrade- I honestly don't care which seat I'm in, if I have a good quality of life (aka not living in Houston or Atlanta).
If I remember correctly, Horizon FOs make more than Skywest Captains anyway.

If anyone can address even one of my questions I would really appreciate it!
(Sorry for the long post)

thanks,

Matt

Alright, I've got some beer in me and a few spare moments

What about QOL, how many days off a month? Do the pilots and management get along?
QOL is ok, I suppose. I talked to a NWA guy yesterday who was starting a 20 day trip. That gave me a little perspective. Of course my paycheck doesn't quite compare.

Lines this bid in Q200/Seattle are anywhere from 13-16 days off in a 5 week period. Can't speak for the other planes. Never seen their trips.

Us pilot types and management get along ok - depending on who you talk to. Some guys swear we're getting screwed at every turn. Other guys are more forgiving. Depends on what you believe, I guess. I think we're doing ok overall. Every job has its gripes, and this is no different.

If an applicant only has 2 years of college are the flight time minimums much much higher?
Probably.

What training route do regional pilots think makes the best pilot?
Go to the state of Alaska. Or fly boxes in a crappy plane. You'll thank me later.

Seriously, whats the rush??? Do something fun. No one is going anywhere anyway.

If I remember correctly, Horizon FOs make more than Skywest Captains anyway.
I'm too lazy to look it up, but I seriously doubt it. I'm not starving, but I'm sure as hell not getting fat, either. Do what I did. Marry a woman with a good job.

I am from Seattle and don't care about waiting 8 years to upgrade- I honestly don't care which seat I'm in, if I have a good quality of life (aka not living in Houston or Atlanta).
Good for you! We need more people like that.

Ok. I need more beer. Good luck. Keep buggin the CP and he'll call someday.

B

Does anyone know the military leave poilicy for Horizon and first couple of years pay?

Jeep4X4 said:
Just to put things in perspective for everyone, SteveAir is not accurate on Horizon or SkyWest. He has little industry knowledge.
Nice flame rookie, try to be less blatant next time tiger.

Buschpilot said:
Lines this bid in Q200/Seattle are anywhere from 13-16 days off in a 5 week period. Can't speak for the other planes. Never seen their trips.

Us pilot types and management get along ok - depending on who you talk to. Some guys swear we're getting screwed at every turn. Other guys are more forgiving. Depends on what you believe, I guess. I think we're doing ok overall. Every job has its gripes, and this is no different...

Everything I've read regarding pilot schedules is always better than having 5 9-hour days on with only 2 days off! :)

... Go to the state of Alaska. Or fly boxes in a crappy plane. You'll thank me later.
Seriously, whats the rush??? Do something fun. No one is going anywhere anyway.

Funny you'd mention Alaska- my mother used to babysit for the owners of Everts Air Fuel and Air Cargo 40 years ago. I think they have around 10 DC-6s and a C-46 or two. Even if I do have a connection I doubt there is much attrition there!

I'm too lazy to look it up, but I seriously doubt it. I'm not starving, but I'm sure as hell not getting fat, either. Do what I did. Marry a woman with a good job.

As long as I can pay the bills, money doesn't equal happyness (though QOL does), so I don't really care about money as long as I can make my $500/month loan payment!

:)

Good for you! We need more people like that.

Ok. I need more beer. Good luck. Keep buggin the CP and he'll call someday.
B

If the 8 year upgrade time causes any would-be applicants to go elsewhere, that will be advantageous for me! Therefore, I am glad that the upgrade time is so long!

If I can start at ATP by the end of this month I should be able to start instructing in 4 months.

thanks for your response!

Last edited:
dispatcher121 said:
I was talking to a friend who who bids reserve so he can be at home with his kids at night. He said he only had to fly one 5 day trip all summer. He enjoys his airport reserve for the QAL.

Obviously he/she flys the RJ. I don't know about the q200 in pdx but the q400 reserve folks have been working their azzes off. I ran into an FO who said last bid she had like 110 credit hours (86.5 or something is min guarantee). So it depends on the airplane you go to. I'm guessing most of the new hires will go to props.

As long as I can pay the bills, money doesn't equal happyness (though QOL does), so I don't really care about money as long as I can make my $500/month loan payment!

With that kind of loan payment, I hope to hell your driving a Ferrari.

Obviously he/she flys the RJ. I don't know about the q200 in pdx but the q400 reserve folks have been working their azzes off. I ran into an FO who said last bid she had like 110 credit hours (86.5 or something is min guarantee). So it depends on the airplane you go to. I'm guessing most of the new hires will go to props.

I've flown three times this bid on reserve. I'm diggin it. I feel like a normal person again.

Does anyone know the military leave poilicy for Horizon and first couple of years pay?
Yes, we have one. I dunno the specifics, but I imagine that it falls under the federal law. See airlinepilotpay.com or whatever they changed their name to for the pay scales.

Last edited:
Buschpilot said:
With that kind of loan payment, I hope to hell your driving a Ferrari.

That's to get my licenses and ratings. So far I've spent $8,200 to get my PPL. I can spend $30,000 more at the same FBO and get only 50 hours multi or spend $40,000 more to go to ATP and get 140 multi, including 85 hours cross country.

I'm currently in the process of deciding what to do.
I realize this is totally off topic for this forum, but that's the answer to what that $500 payment will be paying off.

How long do you think the hiring will continue? I am thinking about leaving to try and go to Horizon arond the end of the year.

Latest resources

Back