Horizon Air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

WestSide

Can somebody please give me some info on Horizon? What is the QOL like, how long is reserve, what base will you most likely get, what is the most junior airplane, any chance of getting the RJ is you have previous experience, basically do you like working there and would you reccomend that somebody apply there? Thanks alot.

WestSide said:
Can somebody please give me some info on Horizon? What is the QOL like, how long is reserve, what base will you most likely get, what is the most junior airplane, any chance of getting the RJ is you have previous experience, basically do you like working there and would you reccomend that somebody apply there? Thanks alot.

Good company, nice people, but plan on reserve for a long, long, time. Training contract - you have to stay for X years or pay them to leave. Upgrade is years away... I have 3 friends who left recently after 1-3 years because they want to upgrade. Portland / Seattle = likely bases... haven't heard of anyone going places otherwise. They hire into planes as needed... you could end up in the RJ but if you ever upgrade, it will likely be into the Dash.

If you want to live in the northwest, it's a good bet; so long as you don't mind reserve and don't want to upgrade.

If you want to upgrade, I'd look for somewhere else. SkyWest upgrades (as of today anyways) are running 15 months but you get ORD.

It seems like we are short on all airframes, and we are hiring into all airframes. Reserve is the longest in the RJ, 18mos. in DEN which is the junior base. Either Dash is anywhere from 4-12mos.as projected by the chief pilot. All depending on whether we get a couple more 400's this year. Great place to be and watch the industry shake out.

Steveair said:
SkyWest upgrades (as of today anyways) are running 15 months but you get ORD.

Sorry this is off topic, but this statement is really misleading, and not very accurate. Yes, there were about 8 guys that managed to upgrade in the RJ in ORD at around 14 - 15 mos, but this is not happening on a regular basis by any stretch of the imagination. Their early upgrade was due in large part to the fact that a bunch of people senior to them (myself included) were seatlocked at the time their classes were awarded due to transition from Brasilia to RJ (also, a lot of people on the standing bid list had "award after xx/xx/xx" dates on their upgrade bids). The same thing happened with the recent Brasilia upgrade award, but I only recall seeing 2 or 3 people on that list that were super junior.

A lot of these seatlocks are due to be released over the next few months. Unless there is some unexpected new growth at SkyWest (nothing new announced at this time), watch for upgrade to start taking several years as people begin to rely only on attrition to move up the list.

Last edited:
What is reserve at Horizon like? ie 4 on 3 off? Can they move your your off days around? How long do you expect Horizon to keep hiring for? Is there a commuter clause?

Reserve can be 5 on, 3 off, sometimes 4 on, 2 off, or any combo of the above. Yes there is a commuter clause, you have to be listed on one regular and one backup of Alaska/Horizon flights with open seats.

I've been in DEN with a bid in for PDX for 7mos. now. No word on when they would transfer me. It all depends on when they need more FO's in PDX.

Latest resources

Back