• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Horizon Air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Who can say? Hiring typically starts in the fall and ends sometime in the spring. They try to push hiring/training away from summer to free up pilots for the busy season. If you wait until hiring has started for the year, it's probably too late to get your resume in for the round. However, don't let that discourage you.

If you want to apply to Horizon, don't wait until you hear they are hiring. Apply now and keep on applying until you get an interview. In some cases, they take a long time to call. I guess it's part of the process of how they weed out those who really want to work there vs. those who want to work anywhere.

Speaking of the weeding out process, does Horizon weed out a lot of new hires? I have heard that they do...although not from a credible source.

dispatcher121 said:
I would say no. I'm told (by the recruiter Joanne) they hire "Captain material" as opposed to filling the right seat. (Although everyone has to start in the right seat.)

First time anyone ever accused me of being "Captain material." Clearly, the process is somewhat flawed. :D

WestSide said:
Speaking of the weeding out process, does Horizon weed out a lot of new hires? I have heard that they do...although not from a credible source.

The sentiment is that there has been a recent streak of unsuccessful new hires; however, the overall success rate is historically quite high (high-90% range). I have seen no evidence of the training/standards folks attempting to wash people out. But perhaps the high success rate encourages some folks to rest on their laurels. Or perhaps the interview process is flawed in some way. Or perhaps it's just a streak of bad luck.

If Horizon is the kind of company that interests you (very-conservative to virtually-non-existent growth, long upgrades, reasonably good QOL if you want to stay/live in the NW) , and you can make a good impression in the interview process and fly a Frasca passably well, getting through training should be no great challenge. Work, yes. Particularly difficult, no.

I definately want to work for the company...it has everything that I want. The only part that worries me is the Frasca ride. I have been flying glass for so long, it woeuld be tough to get right into a Frasca. My comany also does not do NDB approaches, so that part about the ride worries me too. Any suggestions? Will it help me out in the interview or even getting called for an interview if I have 121 experience and RJ time?

WestSide said:
The only part that worries me is the Frasca ride. I have been flying glass for so long, it woeuld be tough to get right into a Frasca.

Just go buy a few hours of Frasca time at Hillsboro Aviation beforehand, then. Small investment if you really want to work there, though probably not really necessary.

My comany also does not do NDB approaches, so that part about the ride worries me too. Any suggestions?

There was no NDB approach on some recent sim rides. There was one in the old profile. Perhaps they throw one in occassionally to prevent the gouge from being very good, but I doubt it.

Will it help me out in the interview or even getting called for an interview if I have 121 experience and RJ time?

Getting an interview seems to be somewhat hit-and-miss, but definitely do-able. Pester, cajole, beg, send flowers to Kim, get an internal, call Lamar and tell a good joke. Experience will always be beneficial, IF you make the kind of impression they are looking for. What kind of impression is that? Well, that's a good question.

dispatcher121 said:
I would say no. I'm told (by the recruiter Joanne) they hire "Captain material" as opposed to filling the right seat. (Although everyone has to start in the right seat.)
[fake english accent]
Then there is the aging process, whereby we take a humble, nubile FO and place them in the right seat and age them until they are 59 1/2 and slightly incontinent or until a nice bouquet of pear, spice and oleander emerges with a hint of old spice....err i mean oak. [/fake english accent]

Q400 Gear Bitch said:
[fake english accent]
Then there is the aging process, whereby we take a humble, nubile FO and place them in the right seat and age them until they are 59 1/2 and slightly incontinent or until a nice bouquet of pear, spice and oleander emerges with a hint of old spice....err i mean oak. [/fake english accent]

Why are fake English accents are sooo hot!?!

400GB, all the Q400 FOs on reserve last bid flew their azzes off. Not one of us did under 100 credit, and I know at least two FOs besides myself who did 110 or better. This bid I have a line & I've been called on my days off like 5 times. Forgot not answering my phone on days off, I think I'm just gonna turn the damn thing off!

I suspect that with the recent PW150A problems, Q400 flying will slack off a bit and the Q2/CRJ guys & gals will get a little busier.

Westside-
I interviewed at Horizon after flying only glass for the previous year and did fine, or should I say good enough to get hired. I was really concerned about it too before my interview but the round dial scan comes back fast, and once you are at this level of your career (professional pilot) anything they throw at you at in the sim (ndb) shouldn't be a problem.
Good luck!

Latest resources

Back