Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Holly crap, interview with Southwest..Help!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wanted to leave the door open at SWA for a future interview should something happen at my #1 carrier. I was interviewing SWA as they were me. I wasn't impressed with SWA in comparison to my #1 choice. Sure, they had a nice lunch room but there is more to a good airline than a good view when I eat. My #1 choice welcomed me in and made me feel "at home". They treated me with respect and didn't utter a single negative word. They were curious about my job history, my family and the life I had outside of the flight deck. I never got that sense at SWA. I'm not slamming SWA but rather just commenting on my experience. I'm sure if I hadn't interviewed at my #1 carrier, I never would have noticed the subtle differences. However, they were very bold differences in comparison. I felt as welcomed at the SWA interview as a visiting team feels on game day.

Personally, it just wasn't the place for me. However, it was better than where I was working and would have worked for me if my #1 carrier hadn't given me the nod. SWA was in my top three choices and it was a steady #3.

XYV

Whoa there. We've established that FedEx was your #1 choice, but I am gonna have put this statement of yours into context... I don't doubt that the actual FedEx interviewers gave you a warm reception, however let's not forget the process to actually get an interview at FedEx. They aren't exactly standing out in front of the AOC with arms wide open, welcoming anyone and everyone. I don't have a problem at all with it, but I think SWA has an interview selection process that's a little more receptive to the general pilot population. Yes, I know they favor folks with a 737 type, but they do interview folks without it. At FedEx, the only reason why they made you feel "at home", showed you any respect or were curious about your family/career is because you had a sponsor. Without one, you are just another guy who paid 50 bucks to apply.

I don't have issues with the hiring process at either airline, but I just think a little perspective needed to be shed on your image of FedEx showing you more love than SWA.

Last edited:
do your homework on SWA...and if you know someone at SWA ask them about the first part of the FOM. The intro on it is exactly what Southwest looks for in a pilot. Reading it helps in understading what they look for. Definately learn about SWA...especially their culture.

Start thinking of things that happened during your career. Your going to need to tell stories, and you don't want to be staring at the ceiling. My experience was the opposite of bustingmins. The best I was ever treated at any interview.

Latest resources

Back