Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Holly crap, interview with Southwest..Help!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is in no way a critical comment, I'm justwondering about bustingmins observations that in one interview "They were curious about my job history, my family and the life I had outside of the flight deck".

Are questions about "family and the life I had outside the flight deck" typical in airline interviews?

I ask because I occasionally interview for positions in the non-aviation world for engineering and accounting type jobs.

I have always been told to never, ever, ask personal questions about the interviewees family, and to be very careful about asking about his non-work related pastimes. I've been told by employment lawyers that the further you stray from strictly work related topics in the interview, the more you invite lawsuits from both the people you pass over and the ones you hire.

Is airline hiring different than the tech and accounting fields in this respect? Do airline interviewees typically get asked about their family, hobbies, and other non-work related parts of their life?

Last edited:
1st Bustinmins you really came on strong in the self defense mode....wow I can't believe how many times you said "#1 choice". You convinced me you will never really be at your #1.

As for interviews well it goes both ways...I interviewed at FedEx and it was awful for me. I think it is a great company and I could have been happy there but they didn't like me either. My interviewers were rude and actually got up in the middle of the interview and started for the door with me still sitting there. I never looked back...just forward....Bustin I think you are still looking back.

3 posts defending yourself. Did not expect that. Now you probably won't answer this but will ask anyway. Where are you working right now. PM me if you don't want other to know. I won't tell....promise. Is it your number #1 or are you still in a pool. I assume it is FedEx based on the little color I can see on th 72. I think you wanted SWA more than you tell us because you would not have said anything had you really did not want to go there. Do you see anyone talking about a regional they did not go to?

I wasn't defending anything but rather informing you and answering your question with too much detail. Truthfully, I didn't want SWA. I would have taken it over my previous position but not over the one that I am in now. I won't answer your question directly either privately or publically.

I think this is just one of those instances where you can't see the voice or inflection behind the written word. No animosity here and there is certainly no hard feelings toward SWA. I just know that SWA wasn't my first choice. That was reaffirmed after having attended the interview. Mind you, as it was said by someone else, I don't think SWA is a bad place to be. It just isn't the best place for me. The blondes/brunette comment was right on the money.

You all have a Happy Holiday.

XYV

Last edited:
This is in no way a critical comment, I'm justwondering about bustingmins observations that in one interview "They were curious about my job history, my family and the life I had outside of the flight deck".

Are questions about "family and the life I had outside the flight deck" typical in airline interviews?

I ask because I occasionally interview for positions in the non-aviation world for engineering and accounting type jobs.

I have always been told to never, ever, ask personal questions about the interviewees family, and to be very careful about asking about his non-work related pastimes. I've been told by employment lawyers that the further you stray from strictly work related topics in the interview, the more you invite lawsuits from both the people you pass over and the ones you hire.

Is airline hiring different than the tech and accounting fields in this respect? Do airline interviewees typically get asked about their family, hobbies, and other non-work related parts of their life?

There were never direct questions asked but I volunteered the information in an explanation. They asked a few follow-ups and asked some general questions but nothing that was out of line. I volunteered that I was active in my community etc. I also mentioned that my girfriend were involved in these activities as well as many others. I mentioned them. It's important at some carriers that you express this because they aren't looking for the guy who wants to live at the airport or in their planes.

Last edited:
1st Bustinmins you really came on strong in the self defense mode....wow I can't believe how many times you said "#1 choice". You convinced me you will never really be at your #1.

As for interviews well it goes both ways...I interviewed at FedEx and it was awful for me. I think it is a great company and I could have been happy there but they didn't like me either. My interviewers were rude and actually got up in the middle of the interview and started for the door with me still sitting there. I never looked back...just forward....Bustin I think you are still looking back.

Nope - not at all. Have a great one.

Can someone here please tell me what my #1 choice is?

I appreciate their jumpseats, and they seem to like the 75% off shipping--especially on the holidays.

You mean this...............

FedEx Places Embargo on Discounted Holiday Shipping from December 16-22. During this time FedEx will not honor our employee discounts.

Be yourself during the interview! Be straight forward and don't tell them anymore or less during the interview. Keep it simple.

You mean this...............

FedEx Places Embargo on Discounted Holiday Shipping from December 16-22. During this time FedEx will not honor our employee discounts.

maybe the pax jumpseats should have emargo as well? j/k fedex guys i know u guys had nothing to do with that.

Latest resources

Back