Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Holly crap, interview with Southwest..Help!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
UFB!! You work your a$$ off, gaining experience - taking the time to get your paperwork in order - got the ATP - checked the FAA records - submitted the application - saving $$ for the type rating - maybe already have the type rating - etc. etc.

You get the interview and THEN start trying to figure out how to prepare? AND by post a thread on FI, no less. Good Luck to you. If I had to guess, I'd say the odds aren't in your favor if you are just now trying to prepare with a post on FI.

"Holy crap, interview with Southwest, HELP, HELP, HELP - Ahhhhhhhhhh - Oh the humanity - HELP, HELP" :rolleyes:

And what did you get...THE GOUGE from your mil buddies? Why do you have to be such a JackAss with your response? Bet your cockpit crews just LOVE hearing your stories of how GREAT you are!:rolleyes::puke:

LJ45,
I would suggest reading "Nuts" and "Southwest Airlines Way", it helped me learn more about the airline and also answer the question "Why do you want to work for SWA?" that was asked by all 3 interviewers. I just got hired, waiting for the class date. Good luck!

Congrats to you and good luck.

Last edited:
Congrats to you and good luck.

To quote the HR lady at the interview:

"Welcome to Southwest. Contrary to popular belief, we don't hire a quota from each interview group. There are 16 of you and if you're good, we need all 16 of you. Contrary to that, if none of you are good, we don't need any of you [Felt that they didn't need to be negative they could have left it positive and this might reflect a corporate mentality of which I was not impressed]. When you go back to the interview room, we're going to give you the opportunity to talk about your two favorite things - Yourself and Flying. [I was insulted and almost left at this point]. All we want to hear is your flying stories and how you handled the situations."

I was happy to have been swimming in a different hiring pool at the time I interviewed. It solidified my opinion that I had indeed made the right choice.

However - Where I work isn't for everyone. I hope SWA works for you. Best of luck to you in your endeavors. I hope you like it. Regardless, I'm sure it is better than where you probably are flying right now.

You wanted to leave? Why didn't you? You probably wanted the job bad enough you did not leave but now that you did not get the call you never wanted it...did I get it correct? I never heard them say anything negative in my 2 interviews there. They were all professional and extremely nice and put everyone at ease. Sorry your experience gave you a bad view of them. I have a feeling not getting the job plays a role too.

You wanted to leave? Why didn't you? You probably wanted the job bad enough you did not leave but now that you did not get the call you never wanted it...did I get it correct? I never heard them say anything negative in my 2 interviews there. They were all professional and extremely nice and put everyone at ease. Sorry your experience gave you a bad view of them. I have a feeling not getting the job plays a role too.

Why didn't I leave? I wasn't there to get the job but I was there to get the "try again" letter. I accomplished that goal. I had already splashed into a pool at my #1 airline when SWA called. I wanted to leave the door open at SWA for a future interview should something happen at my #1 carrier. I was interviewing SWA as they were me. I wasn't impressed with SWA in comparison to my #1 choice. Sure, they had a nice lunch room but there is more to a good airline than a good view when I eat. My #1 choice welcomed me in and made me feel "at home". They treated me with respect and didn't utter a single negative word. They were curious about my job history, my family and the life I had outside of the flight deck. I never got that sense at SWA. I'm not slamming SWA but rather just commenting on my experience. I'm sure if I hadn't interviewed at my #1 carrier, I never would have noticed the subtle differences. However, they were very bold differences in comparison. I felt as welcomed at the SWA interview as a visiting team feels on game day.

I did delete it late. I had decided I didn't want to taint this guys kool-aid with any negative remarks. Thus I deleted it.

I'm happy it worked for you and I hope it works for the guy who started this thread. Personally, it just wasn't the place for me. However, it was better than where I was working and would have worked for me if my #1 carrier hadn't given me the nod. SWA was in my top three choices and it was a steady #3.

XYV

For the record, my references were called and my application was forwarded to the board. I didn't make it out of the board. Had I, I would have been tasked with getting my type in six months. I would have pushed that to the very last moment in order to give my #1 time to give me a class date. Luckily, I got my class date about two months after my interview with SWA. I'm happily employed at my #1 choice and truly feel I've landed at a place that feels like "home" to me. I hope SWA feels that way to you.

I have a feeling not getting the job plays a role too.

That had nothing to do with it. I felt like I was attending a time-share sales pitch. Truly! Couple that with the whole negative HR attitude and it was insulting. Like I said, if I hadn't been offered a position in my #1 choice, I would have tried harder and probably would have been happy there. However, in comparison, there is no comparison.

Freight is my business and business is good!

XYV

3 posts defending yourself. Did not expect that. Now you probably won't answer this but will ask anyway. Where are you working right now. PM me if you don't want other to know. I won't tell....promise. Is it your number #1 or are you still in a pool. I assume it is FedEx based on the little color I can see on th 72. I think you wanted SWA more than you tell us because you would not have said anything had you really did not want to go there. Do you see anyone talking about a regional they did not go to?

Fact is, the mood at your interview can be very interviewer dependent. I've heard a lot of good stories about SWA interviews, but an occassional "that guy wasn't as nice as I expected..." story too.

I was interviewed by 2 very kind gentlemen at FedEx. I don't think I could have asked for nicer guys...one recently retired but his son is still there in the MD11. I had friends who were hired, but didn't get nearly the "warm fuzzy" I did. So--you prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

I like my company--and I never applied to SWA. However, if I'd be applying post 9/11, seeing their profitablity, morale, and the fact they never furloughed anyone--darn tootin' I'd have applied. Fortunately I never had to, and good things happened anyway.

Some like blondes, some like brunettes. Some like meat, others are vegetarians. Some guys like a domestic, one fleet type company with rah rah atmosphere. Others like a diverse mix of aircraft and some international flavor thrown in. If you are smiling at work and enjoying your time off, I don't think it really matters.

FWIW...I've seen a lot of folks pass on SWA to go to FDX, but a handful also go the other way too. Viva la difference! I appreciate their jumpseats, and they seem to like the 75% off shipping--especially on the holidays. So--Merry Christmas to all of us...

Latest resources

Back