• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

History repeats itself. Pilots start thinking DOH matters

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CAL pilots need to avoid a merger with UAL. It will be the same train wreck as the AAA AWA merger. It has the same dynamics. A 1997 United Pilot does not want a 28 year old 2005 hire ahead of them.

M

A large part of the "success" of the DAL/NWA list merger was the new company paid each pilot something on the order of 3/4 of year's salary to merge. A kind of signing bonus. That went a long way to quell and complaints someone might have had to being plus or minus a handful of seniority numbers from what they thought they deserved.

3/4 of a year's salary? There were some stock options given (depending on seniority--3300-3700 shares at about $5 a share at the time), a 17% raise over 4 years (about 4% a year with 5% the first year) for all pilots, and a larger raise for former NWA pilots from their past rates. The DL guys didn't get a larger pay increase initially, but did better seniority wise due to the arbitrators' decision. I don't know where you get the 3/4 of year pay?

One key aspect was that we got a Joint Contract together done prior to the SLI, and USAir/AWA did not. Now, they are still flying under seperate contracts, at different rates for the same planes. If UA and CAL merge, they had better come up with better rates for BOTH of them, and CAL ALPA better squeeze CAL management with their scope provision and get that extra cash and also get rid of all of the extra UAL RJs floating around. Keep the CAL scope, and also limit Dash-8-400 flying if you can.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
CAL pilots need to avoid a merger with UAL. It will be the same train wreck as the AAA AWA merger. It has the same dynamics. A 1997 United Pilot does not want a 28 year old 2005 hire ahead of them.

M

There are 2000 hire NWA pilots junior to 2007 hire DL pilots on the new DL seniority list. The arbitrators made the decision looking at fleet types and what each airline brought to the table. Then, it was pretty much brought together in relative fashion. These 3 "neutrals" (arbitrators) made the decision after looking at the facts. That is the way it goes. Some of the FNWA pilots are probably upset understandably, but a stronger company and future retirements will help soothe some of that I hope.

Bye Bye--General Lee

M

The AMW/AAA merger isn't a trainwreck at all. Just because a bunch of geezers and losers (who couldn't find a better airline to work) for accepted recall to an airline in a perpetual death spiral are *allegedly* super pissed off about the Nic award is meaningless.

You all can take your DOH and shove it where your heads have been the last few years.

Doesn't matter. DoH is not a feature of either the ALPA Merger/Frag policy OR Allegheny/Mohawk. So all SLIs in the future will be either agreed to or arbitrated. And if you agree to arbitration (USAPA!) in advance, then you take what you get.

There are 2000 hire NWA pilots junior to 2007 hire DL pilots on the new DL seniority list. The arbitrators made the decision looking at fleet types and what each airline brought to the table. Then, it was pretty much brought together in relative fashion. These 3 "neutrals" (arbitrators) made the decision after looking at the facts. That is the way it goes. Some of the FNWA pilots are probably upset understandably, but a stronger company and future retirements will help soothe some of that I hope.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I can see how some may think its not fair becuase of the DOH from 2000 vs. 2007 seems like alot of time of service difference, but the 2000 NWA hires where furloughed with in 1 yr to 1.5 yrs and the 2007 DAL where never furloughed. If you take the actual time of service at the airline the 2000-2001 NWA hires where at NWA the same if not actually less time of service at the airline vs. the DAL 2007 hires

Last edited:
I think he is trying to start a UAL vs CAL merger war. You see, if the UAL pilots and the CAL pilots get a merger done with anywhere near the success of DAL/NWA, the end will be near for US Airways. Sending us down the same road that America West and USAir took will probably bring down the combined UAL/CAL thus giving them a chance. That or the entire post was just flamebait...

--As a UAL guy it's good to see some CAL guys are level headed. Good luck to us all and if this Merger happens I will buy a beer on my Boat in Kemah!

I have to agree DOH, or in my opinion which counts for nothing, length of service does matter. If you ignore this as in the case of AAA/AWA you end up with younger pilots senior to older ones. All this does is cause massive amounts of stagnation and resentment. There is no such thing anymore as "career expectations." Thats a bunch of crap. In the 80's USAir was on the top of the heap. In the early 90's when I got hired at UAL I was "set for life." Look at us now, we may have a great future or be gone who the hell knows. Nobody on this forum that's for sure. The CO junior folks may think they have it made but I would argue they haven't allowed enough time to pass by to see enough industry cycles. Pilots are like a bunch of children in a candy store. They just grab grab grab without any thought of what is right. Reminds me of that George Harrison song "I Me Mine."

Last edited:
I have to agree DOH, or in my opinion which counts for nothing, length of service does matter. If you ignore this as in the case of AAA/AWA you end up with younger pilots senior to older ones. All this does is cause massive amounts of stagnation and resentment. There is no such thing anymore as "career expectations." Thats a bunch of crap. In the 80's USAir was on the top of the heap. In the early 90's when I gio hired at UAL I was "set for life." Look at us now, we may have a gtreat furure or be gone who the hell knows. Nobody on this forum that's for sure. The CO junior folks may think they have it made but I would argue they haven't allowed enough time to pass by to see enough industry cycles. Pilots are like a bunch of children in a candy store. They just grab grab grab without any thought of what is right. Reminds me of that George Harrison song "I Me Mine."

Spot on. The shortsightedness is unbelievable and is one of the reasons why we are in this mess. It is nice to see someone post who sees the big picture. Pilot greed has killed our profession. From B-scale, to PFT in order to jump ahead, Scope relief allowing outsourcing, age 65 and not excepting DOH in mergers has all contributed to where we are now. Pilot greed is just as bad as management. We are our own worst enemy and I blame ALPA to letting it happen.

M

As stated before, Adam Smith figured it out 230 years ago. "In every economic transaction each individual looks out for their own best interest" Brotherhood is only supported if it benefits the individual. Senior guys rule, it is a fact of life.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back