History repeats itself. Pilots start thinking DOH matters

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MCDU

Well, for all those pilots who bashed the so called pathetic 17 year F/O at USAIR. Guess what. American will have them and so will United. Just to list a few. A long time ago USAIR had fast upgrades and many chose Piedmont for their growth.

Another airline like that is Jetblue. They will have almost no upgrades unless they grow. Jetblue reminds me of Piedmont. 2-3 years difference was all it took to become a longtime F/O. No big age differences between F/O and Capt.

Sadly, if one continues to merge your relative position will stagnant and younger pilots with many years less will get in front of you. What to do? Quit and go to Republic for a fast upgrade. I do not think so.

A CAL United merger would be a disaster for United F/O's. United pilots would be in the same boat as East USAIR pilots. With DOH everyone gets a chance and will not be taken to the cleaners. DOH is fair. The problem is the greed and entitlement that often shows gets in the way. Management loves merging with younger less paid pilots. Less captains with higher pay.

Seniority matters. We all know that airlines merge and mangament likes merging with new and younger lower paid pilots. Demand DOH and stop the insanity of discounting your DOH. Its all you have.

Somewhere in your career it will make sense. Just ask the Piedmont pilots at USAIR that did not want DOH.

Look at TWA 747 in the 90's, Ca 59, F/O 57, F/E 56

MCDU don't try to bring two decent airlines into the same grouping as that abortion called scareways. now continue on with your rant about nothing.

Is this some new revelation MCDU? Hasn't DOH always mattered for the same reasons you mentioned above?

This just in...MCDU finally gets it!

I think he is trying to start a UAL vs CAL merger war. You see, if the UAL pilots and the CAL pilots get a merger done with anywhere near the success of DAL/NWA, the end will be near for US Airways. Sending us down the same road that America West and USAir took will probably bring down the combined UAL/CAL thus giving them a chance. That or the entire post was just flamebait...

Well, for all those pilots who bashed the so called pathetic 17 year F/O at USAIR. Guess what. American will have them and so will United. Just to list a few. A long time ago USAIR had fast upgrades and many chose Piedmont for their growth.

Another airline like that is Jetblue. They will have almost no upgrades unless they grow. Jetblue reminds me of Piedmont. 2-3 years difference was all it took to become a longtime F/O. No big age differences between F/O and Capt.

Sadly, if one continues to merge your relative position will stagnant and younger pilots with many years less will get in front of you. What to do? Quit and go to Republic for a fast upgrade. I do not think so.

A CAL United merger would be a disaster for United F/O's. United pilots would be in the same boat as East USAIR pilots. With DOH everyone gets a chance and will not be taken to the cleaners. DOH is fair. The problem is the greed and entitlement that often shows gets in the way. Management loves merging with younger less paid pilots. Less captains with higher pay.

Seniority matters. We all know that airlines merge and mangament likes merging with new and younger lower paid pilots. Demand DOH and stop the insanity of discounting your DOH. Its all you have.

Somewhere in your career it will make sense. Just ask the Piedmont pilots at USAIR that did not want DOH.

It just doesn't matter what pilots think. In any future merger, the pilot groups will initially come together to talk about it, won't be able to get a list themselves, and then go to binding arbitration. The arbitrators will look at recent SLI decisions, and render one very close, tweaking it a bit for special circumstances. The NIC award and the recent DL/NWA award are the new standards.

Bye Bye--General Lee

It just doesn't matter what pilots think. In any future merger, the pilot groups will initially come together to talk about it, won't be able to get a list themselves, and then go to binding arbitration. The arbitrators will look at recent SLI decisions, and render one very close, tweaking it a bit for special circumstances. The NIC award and the recent DL/NWA award are the new standards.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Well I agree the DAL/NWA is the new standard. From what I have seen you guys did it right.
As far as USAir and AWA. I don't think you could have tried to merge a more disparate group. It just doesn't make sense to put the junior F/O of one ahead of of a senior Captain at another and I can certainly see why someone hired in 1986 thinks they should be senior to someone hired in 1996 at the other airline. That merger was a train wreck no matter what and the only solution was for both parties to agree to binding arbitration and than get on with their lives without looking back. Not sure what part of BINDING ARBITRATION the east guys didn't understand. But they sure are paying a steep price for it.

You see, if the UAL pilots and the CAL pilots get a merger done with anywhere near the success of DAL/NWA, the end will be near for US Airways.
A large part of the "success" of the DAL/NWA list merger was the new company paid each pilot something on the order of 3/4 of year's salary to merge. A kind of signing bonus. That went a long way to quell and complaints someone might have had to being plus or minus a handful of seniority numbers from what they thought they deserved.

So just to make sure we're on the same page here, you believe a UAL pilot with 6 months service who's been on furlough for over 8 years should be senior to former Captains displaced to 777 FO at CAL with 5 years continuous service and 30% of the active seniority list behind them, right? Yeah right, no windfall here..... :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back