Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Medeco

SQUIB
I know a lot of folks on here are waiting to hear when the hiring will begin again for ASA, so I will share the latest I heard in DFW's CP Sec. office last week.

They have supposedly been told that we will hire 150 in 2004, and interviews will begin in Jan. Classes in June/July

This, as always, is just news not fact, so please keep that in mind. I do not know what the intentions are for the pool people so if I were you I would be calling to find out were you stand.

Some might say that 150 is not possible because we are over staffed but, with 15 crj 700's in 04 at 5.75 crews, plus attrition(not much), plus people quitting, plus reserves, it does not seem so far fetched to me.

I was waiting for a class date this time last year and wishing for any inside info I could get off this board, so I just wanted to pass on what I am hearing for those who care.

Good luck,
medeco

Poolie gets call . . .

I have been called by Pilot Recruiting to update my information. I am waiting for them to call me back, as they were at lunch when I returned their call. Will inform when I find out if there is any other good news.

Medeco, or anyone, has there been any indication of training starting up for upgrade to the 700 in anticipation of next years deliveries?

Thanks for letting us know the scoop.

The word I got is that first classes will be in the Spring. I guess June is still spring, but it would be great if it meant March instead.
Calls are being made to see who still wants to be in the pool and to see if each poolie is still flying Part 121.

Anyone with any other news regarding staffing, etc.. please chime in. Also if any notice has been put out for upgrades/training to the 700 for current pilots.

Thanks.

PICK ME! PICK ME!!!

I WANT TO COME FLY THERE REALLY, REALLY, REALLY BAD!!!

Walk in resume? Anyone......? Anyone..........?

Feel free to pm!!!!

10 Captain and 10 First officer spots posted today for the DFW 700. The effective date is March, 2004

Latest prelims were for 3/1/04 and had 10 capt and fo spots for the CR7 in DFW, which I guess means 2 new aircraft. The prelim went pretty junior for CR7 capt, about 2-1/2 or 3 years, and will definitely not hold up on the finals, as its about 200 numbers junior to the most junior CR2 capt. 3 upgrades from CR7 fo to capt.

On the finals for 1/31/04, there were 11 CR2 capt spots in DFW filled, with 5 of them being ATL pukes coming over, and only 3 upgrades.

Basically we still have about 90 or so extra FOs in DFW, and there hasn't been a lot of upward movement caused by new CR7 spots because we're also still overstaffed on CR2 capts in DFW.

CRJ-700 training/upgrade

I'd have to agree that I doubt the prelims will hold up with much accuracy when the final comes out. We have one final out already(last month) for a class of 8 Captains and 13 F/Os with an effective date of 1/1/04. I'm the number two spot on that award and I've been here 5 years. There were a couple of 3 1/2 year guys on there I think. As the other guys mentioned, there's an additional 10 spots on each side now with an effective date of 3/1/04. The most junior left seat guy on the prelim has been here just over a year, so it's unlikely that's realistic. There are at least 160 or so CR2 guys that could move over ahead of that on the finals, and that's just the Captains, there's many F/Os more senior that that also. I'd guess 3-1/2 years is a realistic minimum. One of the DFW CPs says we'll upgrade 150 Captains next year, so there you go.

Interestingly, even though we have 23 CRJ-700 F/O slots already or to be awarded, we just finished transferring some new-hire F/Os who were already in the -700 back to the -200. I don't know what they'll do with the new hires, but based on that, I'd guess they'll all go into the -700.

Does effective date mean the day they project them to be done with training, or start training? Or is this the day they are on line?

If anyone has time, what exactly does the prelim tell you and what does all this mean for a poolie? Thanks for any info.

Effective date is the date they expect you to be available on line in that equipment/position.

btflyer2-

Sorry 'bout that, I guess I should have explained it. Like FL000 said, the effective date is the date they expect training to be complete and have you online on that equipment. As far as prelim/final goes, it's basically like this...

The prelim is posted when vacancies become available. At ASA we do it monthly, though it's not required if there are no vacancies available. So the prelim comes out and shows what vacancies are available and, based on how everyone has filled out their bid preference forms, who will be filling those vacancies. You can change and resubmit a bid preference form at any time. So anyway, the prelim comes out and everyone takes a look and we all say "Gee, I'd like to fly the -700/-200/ATR, can I hold one of these vacancies?" Say you'd been thinking about the -700 but you hadn't bid for it. You take a look at the prelim and see that Joe Schmo who's junior to you is listed on the -700 award as one of the vacancies. You say "If he can hold it, so can I" so you put your bid in and wait to see what happens on the final. The prelim is basically a look ahead at what would happen based on the bid preferences that day.

They company has 10 days to then put out the final award. During that time, it's a free-for-all on bid preference forms. You put yours in feeling fairly secure that you'll get it since a guy junior to you did, but you also have to wonder what all the X-number of people senior to you did as well. Then the final comes out and we see who changed their mind or who got pushed off the bottom of the award. As the name indicates, the final is final. If you get the final award, you WILL be going to that position, even if you decide you don't want to anymore. The only exception is if they cancel a class in which case the award is nullified.

As far as being a poolie, it doesn't tell you a lot specifically, but it gives you an idea of movement within the company. We had 13 F/O position vacancies last month and 10 this month, so that gives you an idea of how things are moving. It doesn't tell you much about where, as a new-hire, you'd be going, but you can take a guess at it based on where the shortages are and where the overages are.

As far as the actual training goes, the award doesn't say. They figure out what they need and then they figure out when to run a class for it. You just know it will be sometime between the award and the effective date.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back