Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
hiring mins

Hey guys,

Just so those of you who dont have 3000hrs are not discouraged. I was interviewed in Oct 02 and hired in Dec. 02 with 1200tt . Yes my resume was walked in by someone, but it is not impossible. My class as well as the last class hired had several flight instructors with zero 121 time. Yes, it is likely that they will hire 121 experienced pilots in the majority, but not 100 percent of each class.

We have a pretty young pilot group at ASA, and the mojority that I have flown with had zero 121 experience prior to ASA.

There are plenty of 3000tt pilots on the streets trying to get a job, but that was the case when I was hired a year ago.

Those with less that 3000hrs do have a small chance of getting into ASA.

Good luck
Medeco

UPGRADE TIMES

Upgrade times are almost impossible to predict. I'd say for someone hired today, you're probably looking at 5 years. It could be more, could be less...all depends on growth and attrition. We've had very little of either, so upgrade times are shooting up pretty quick. Right now, the junior captain has been here for 3.5 years. Unless we announce some major growth, I'd expect to see upgrades running 4-6 years. Hopefully I'm wrong on this one.

Re: UPGRADE TIMES

e120pilot said:
Upgrade times are almost impossible to predict. I'd say for someone hired today, you're probably looking at 5 years. It could be more, could be less...all depends on growth and attrition. We've had very little of either, so upgrade times are shooting up pretty quick. Right now, the junior captain has been here for 3.5 years. Unless we announce some major growth, I'd expect to see upgrades running 4-6 years. Hopefully I'm wrong on this one.

I hope your wrong too!!!! I want to change my screen name!!!

>>UPGRADE TIMES
Upgrade times are almost impossible to predict. I'd say for someone hired today, you're probably looking at 5 years. It could be more, could be less...all depends on growth and attrition. We've had very little of either, so upgrade times are shooting up pretty quick. Right now, the junior captain has been here for 3.5 years. Unless we announce some major growth, I'd expect to see upgrades running 4-6 years. Hopefully I'm wrong on this one.<<

If things stay the same, it will be a LONG time. F/Os that have been here two years that are back on reserve now. If we started having upgrade classes of 10 a month it would be over 2 years before they made captain. Depending on how long before we START upgrading, I figure at least 5 years for them, or 7 years as F/Os.

Rythm3 said:
What are upgrade times going to be running for those 150 hired?

I was hired into the 700 over a year ago and am still on reserve. Upgrades will be a long time for any new hire......alot of people have been pushed backwards because of the 120s being parked.

BTW, during recurrent recently, Mike from Crew Planning came in and said that the number would be more towards 120, not 150, because we are currently 30 overstaffed.

Last edited:
Originally posted by e120pilot

As far as us getting "Comair's" airplanes next year, I don't see why you would be against it. There is no carrot being dangled here. We're not doing anything to undercut them. If DCI wants to give ASA more jets, I say bring em on. I haven't heard anyone at Comair complain about ASA shrinking this year (21 new jets with about 30 E120 retirements), while Comair gets over 30 growth aircraft. I don't blame the Comair pilots for this, but I'm certainly not going to complain if we gets some growth finally. Additionally, depending on where these new aircraft are going to be deployed, it may be more advantagous for ASA to fly them. Time will tell how this one plays out.

I think Comair might be short sighted by refusing to at least discuss things with their management. I know this isn't a popular stand, but you've gotta face reality. We don't get paid what we deserve, we get paid the going rate for our services. Just as mainline Delta has seen...when that rate is too high, mgmt will find someone cheaper to do it. I know it sucks but that's the free market for ya.

Not the kind of talk we really wanted to hear after the overwelming reason the pilots hear said we should say no is because we did not want to under cut the ASA pilot group while they were in negotiations. We all felt it would be a knife in your backs after all the support you showed us during our strike. But if the is attitude over their apparently our loyalties are misguided.

Dont Worry!

AFELLODOOD- We are more than likley NOT getting those additional 70 seaters. They are slated to go to Comair and will go to Comair. Watch and see as the last thing we need is to take delivery of some of Comairs aircraft. We dont need any more strife amongst the ranks. We wouldn't want you to take our deliveries, so we shouldn't think of taking yours as well.

New Hires:
We will get our 15-70 seaters which will open up 73 Cpt slots on the 70. These will come from 50 seat Cpts and some FO's. The aircraft will also require an additional 75 FO solts (150 total). Some of those slots will have to be replaced. But bottom line is the FO's will move up the ladder next year as there will be 75 of them moving to the left seat. All those on reserves now will be off of reserves, and all of the new hires will be the new reserve cache'. We will need arround 120 new hires starting in Apr/May time frame (to have them avail by Jul/Aug time frame and complete the last of them by Dec for the final deliveries [approx 20/mo]). Also, we will be hiring a certain percentage of furloughed Delta guys. I have no clue of how many, but I hope we pick up as many as possible. Sorry, but it is best to keep it in the family.

Although, based on the 200 in ATL, I am also on last months finals for the 70 in DFW. Still waiting for a class date. BM says maybe first week in Dec, but who knows. As far as the routes that the 15 new 70 seaters in DFW will do, I am also wondering the same thing. A recent article (on the ASA site) noted that the 70 seater was taking more and more mainline routes that can not sustain a mainline aircraft. My GUESS is that we will be taking most of the mainline routes still left in DFW or that were in DFW until mainline can again sustain the routes. This will be much cheaper to compete with AMR in this area. I can also see maybe Long Beach, LAX, San Diego, LAS, SAC, SFO etc. flying and taking back the Eagle code on the west coast. Additionally, flying up and down the west coast from SEA to LAX, etc. We would be a cheap way for Delta to expand in that area of the US. CARNAC says I could be right! :cool:

AFELLOWAVIATOR,

Your post doesn't make much sense to me. I don't see ASA pilots doing anything that would "under cut" you guys. Our rates are slightly less than yours right now, but that alone wouldn't warrant sending those 8 700's to ASA. I stand by my statement that I would have no problem seeing those 8 a/c show up at ASA. How many pilots has Comair hired this year while ASA has shrunk(and dozens of Captains have been downgraded)? I have yet to see a single CMR pilot demanding that ASA get more growth. The point is, ASA pilots (or CMR for that matter)have nothing to do with deciding who gets what aircraft. When was the last time Fred Butrell came to ASA or CMR pilots to ask who should get what flying? Never has happened, never will.

As far as CMR not taking concessions, I don't think the overwhelming reason you guys voted no on concessions was to help ASA. You need to watch out for your own family before worrying about mine. Don't get me wrong, I think you guys showed some major balls not giving in. However, the question becomes what are the consequences? If you're a senior captain at CMR, growth probably isn't as big of a priority. But for those guys on the bottom of the list, growth is a major priority. I don't care how good your contract is, a 2 year Captain at Chautauqua is going to make more (and have better QOL)than a 5 year ASA/CMR FO. Like it or not, that is something to consider when looking at this. I'm not saying you guys should gut the whole contract, but you've gotta be able to change with the times. With so many companies out there bidding for this flying, DAL would be stupid to pay more for this flying than is needed.

If you make a judgement of the whole ASA pilot group based on one person's opinion on flightinfo.com, you need a reality check. I am in no shape or form a spokeperson for the ASA pilot group. I'm just offering my take on this situation. I may be wrong, I may be right. Time will tell.

e120pilot wrote, "As far as CMR not taking concessions, I don't think the overwhelming reason you guys voted no on concessions was to help ASA."

Actually, that was the primary reason we nixed concessions. Every pilot I have talked about this with understands the ramifications of wage and benefit give backs. Not only would we be cutting our salaries, but we would be setting off a chain reaction for EVERY other worker within the company and the industry. Isn't that why everyone is so mad at Mesa?

Sure enough, once talks with the pilots fell through (for the time being), the company ended talks with the flight attendants. See the Delta Connection here?

When the Delta pilots signed their contract in 2001 it represented only a slight premium over other airlines' contract rates, most notably United. But now that so many legacy carriers have taken signficant paycuts, Delta management comes sniffing around with whopping pay cuts on their greedy little minds.

We are all in this together.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back