• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

hiring a resident vs.citizen

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
raysalmon bravo, excellent post, very informatice and I dare say, have taken the wind out of the sails of the xenophobes.

I am a South African citizen, getting married to a US girl in October of this year. After the honeymoon and all the pleasures that accompany it, I shall be starting the long process of converting my license and looking for employment in the USA.

I am pretty sure there are some knee-jerk reactions to a post like this, but illegal immigrant I'm not. In fact, I would be proud to serve in the US military or Coast Guard, providing a life-saving service to the American people, apart from the usual like paying taxes and being a good citizen....um, resident:eek: :D

Having lived and worked in a number of Southern African countries and meeting lotsa 'foreign' pilots, including American ones, I think people like AviatorTX should wind his neck in and travel a bit. Go to the the places people come from that you accuse of taking jobs from you, and see how EASY it is for you to get a job there.

SennaP1, and anyone else going, gone or still having to go through the PROCESS, will know its not easy to get into the USA legally. I still have to go to the interview with the immigration guy wanting to see photos and emails and love letters etc.
If we abide by the laws and regulations set in place by the people of the USA through their government, pass the test and measure up, we should be given equal opportunity to become law abiding, economically active productive citizens who contribute to the wellfare of American society.

Last edited:
applause%^##$%

Ray! It was great post!
Well I really wanted to explain samething to those ignorants.
But I was too lazy or didn't care about their problem.
At least I hope those HR people in airline industry have this
kind of knowledge.....
once again good job!

:D

A friend of mine who works for Qantas recently related a story about a former marine F18 pilot whom he converted from a 744SO to a 737fo at Qantas. I won't comment on what he said about this guys flying abilities as compared to the average RAAF F18 driver. He married an Australian girl.

Qantas is actively hiring and Australia is relatively easy to immigrate to ,if you have a degree, work experience in certain areas. Checkout www.immi.gov.au If you have a masters degree and
are under 28 you shouldn't have to many problems. But it means getting of your rear and acting. If your immigration appl is granted(takes around 8 months) you get permanent residency straight away -then you can apply to Qantas.

Qantas also has 80+ Americans working for their short haul division. Guys who joined Australian Airlines during the 1989 strike/dispute-Qantas later took over Aust Airlines.

It surprises me that more Americans don't look abroad to pursue their careers- it's not as though a lot is going on in your own country now. Many would be eligible for an EU passport through parents/grandparents.

If you think the USA is the best place to live
then you obviously haven't lived on the Queensland coast- but then that's another story
:cool:

Of course, you should be aware that when the ignorant folks speaking of green card pilots, they are not talking the white dudes from England, or South Africa. Something tells me that they are thinking about the Mexicans or something.

Well I saw references to BA and Qantas as being examples of places that US pilot couldn't go. I didn't see anything about Aero Mexico. But I think I see what you're saying. They're taking the general illegal immigration problem (which is the most widely advertised form of immigration) and assuming it also applies to the pilot world. I attempted to cover that misconception in my posts too. They fail to realize that illegal immigration and the outsourcing of jobs overseas hurts them exponentially more than any legal immigration situation ever will.

AviatorTX, you are a class 1 idiot.

Care to guess how many immigrants i.e. green card holders have served in the U.S. military? Care to guess how many of them are in right now putting their lives on the line for this country? Care to guess how many of them made the ultimate sacrifice so your hick ass can make fun of them? Care to guess how many of them bypassed you simply because they're better than you?

Oh, and I'd rather work with a green card holder over some ignorant bubba like yourself. You're just like you say... cocky, so I figure you talk the talk, and people like you never walk the walk - whereas your immigrant green card guy won't talk the talk, but he'll run the walk.

Grow up!

Trash8Mofo said:
Of course, you should be aware that when the ignorant folks speaking of green card pilots, they are not talking the white dudes from England, or South Africa. Something tells me that they are thinking about the Mexicans or something.

I don't agree with the anti-green card types, but it's just as, if not more ignorant, and certainly more childish, of you to try and assign racist notions to others just because they may be protectionists on labor issues, or not aware of immigration process.

NObody here has brought race up as an issue except YOU with your implication as a way to try and demonize those you disagree with. But if race is your "thing" then I DO think mostly they were by default referring to "white dudes", since by far most green card pilots working or in training in this country are from Europe, South Africa, Canada and Australia and the "fair is fair" references about working for their home countries'airlines were also in regard to BA and Quantas, or obtaining a JAA license (European).

You look pretty foolish trying to play the race card when the game is chess.

Freight Dog said:
AviatorTX, you are a class 1 idiot.

Care to guess how many immigrants i.e. green card holders have served in the U.S. military? Care to guess how many of them are in right now putting their lives on the line for this country? Care to guess how many of them made the ultimate sacrifice so your hick ass can make fun of them? Care to guess how many of them bypassed you simply because they're better than you?

Oh, and I'd rather work with a green card holder over some ignorant bubba like yourself. You're just like you say... cocky, so I figure you talk the talk, and people like you never walk the walk - whereas your immigrant green card guy won't talk the talk, but he'll run the walk.

Grow up!

Why resort to name calling, Numbnuts?

OK... I did not have any green cards in my military unit, BUT I'll admit that if one does serve a complete enlistment, and is honorably discharged, or re-ups, they should be granted immediate citizenship. They have earned it, afterall.

I did walk the walk. I admit to being a redneck, but there are worse things to be called.

As long as you hold a green card though, your job opportunity in the USA should be limited to McDonald's, Blockbuster video, ect...

It's not really name-calling when you post things like this, bubba.

ANYONE who lives in this country legally is entitled to pursue happiness. One of the beautiful rights that set our country apart from the rest of the world. Now, don't get confused. You are not entitled to happiness, you're only entitled to PURSUE it. Most legal immigrants here recognize that and are more vigorous to pursue their happiness because they appreciate the opportunity they have in this country a lot more than your average American.
Your average American tends to think he/she is entitled to middle class lifestyle just because... Your average American is gonna sit down and bitch about everything, your average immigrant is gonna roll up their sleeves and go to work to accomplish their goals. I've witnessed it time and time again, and not only that, but I am a living proof and so is my family, and so are many of our friends.

Latest resources

Back