hiring a resident vs.citizen

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ahh Naturalization

Going (gone) thru the process, Alot of paperwork, fingerprints, and an interview with a not so "friendly" "customer service" oriented Inspector. That was until I spoke Fluent, yes fluent English. And oh yeah a test. Take a sample here:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/exec/natz/natztest.asp

Hey I love this country, even have a flag of the Stars and Stripes on my flight bag. So I'm glad I can be welcomed with open arms now. BTW, never worked at Blockbuster (I may owe a late fee there though) or Mcdonald's (rubbish food, their coffee is OK).

Anyways, I think it may be a bit short-minded to call all non-US citizens unworthy of any "Premium" job. Just my opinion though.

KEEP THE FAITH, GO RED SOX.

So having lived in the US of A from the age of 8, but only a lowly green card holder I should be discriminated against........?

Man, sometimes you folks should really read some of the stuff you type. And if you still believe it, then you need to start looking at how the rest of the world works.

Nothing stops American Citizens from living and working throughout the world. If you would travel a little, you might see that for yourself.

If you cannot get the legal right to live somewhere, then you should not be able to work there. Last time I checked, I have had the legal right to live and work here since 1986.

Rant off

Flak jacket on
:D

Never Fails! I come here to stir the pot and end up learning a thing or two before I leave. I love you guys. Can I have your Bud Light?

AviatorTx said:
As long as you hold a green card though, your job opportunity in the USA should be limited to McDonald's, Blockbuster video, ect...

Now that would cut down on immigration for sure... but you would still not stop the most desperate to enter since many of them best hope is as good as the above jobs, yet they stay anyways.

I think the original purpose of the green card was to provide you the right to citizenship. Basically at the point, when USA offers you the green card by approving your application for permanent residency, you have met all the requirements for immigration. From here, weather you will get the citizenship or not, depends only on the applicant. In the following years (3 for those who merry or enlist and serve at least 3 years, 5 for the rest) you must show that you are delivering your side of the deal. On the citizenship interview they do not judge your application again. It has been decided already. They simply review your past 3-5 years and look for the following:

1. have you been a good moral character (even things like adultery can get you kicked)
2. did you get your green card in a fraudulent way (fake marriages especially)
3. did you pay your taxes (this one is a biggie)

So basically with the green card, you are a "conditional" citizen, I guess that is why all the rights that come with it.

When we talk about "premium jobs", it is fair to mention, that many people came here on a US job offer at a time when the economy needed additional workforce, and that supposedly was in the interest of this country including everyone who has already been here at that time. Since the process of immigrating is extremely slow for professionals, some have already lost those jobs due to the economy turning around. I think it would be quite unfair to simply tell those guys that: Sorry, things changed, you screwed 5 years of your life but you are still 1 months short of the green card so get the f home because now we do not need you anymore and you just got laid off. All this because the former INS has an average processing time of 3 years for an immigration applicant on top of the 2 years that DOL f_cks around. You can't just tell people to go to hell after they have been welcome when they were needed. Either don’t let them in at all, or make it clear that they are here only temporarily, or stand by them.

Of course there has never been a pilot shortage in the USA so this hardly applies to aviation. I was just trying to give another perspective from my point of view. Sorry for the boring read.

Instead of wasting your time whining about immigrants getting "your" job you should be concern about americans AND non-american (residents) taking "your" jobs without the qualifications and just because they "look like a pilot"....

PD: Can anyone in this life choose where to be born before hand? If so, please let me know so that I can start applying for my next life. Thanks.

What's next?

Ornstein, Mesa pilots, females, minorities, JetBlue pilots.........

ALWAYS someone to blame.

What's next? Or who's next?

Suck it up, build a bridge and get over it!

Re: Ahh Naturalization

SennaP1 said:
I'd never seen the sample questions on the Naturalization test before.....they seem pretty easy, but then again, I've lived here for 10 years now, and took American History in both H.S and college.

AA985 said:
Instead of wasting your time whining about immigrants getting "your" job you should be concern about americans AND non-american (residents) taking "your" jobs without the qualifications and just because they "look like a pilot"....

Nice try...

I'll take a U.S. citizen with a G.E.D. over a green card holding PHD any day of the week.

US Citizenship should be a qualification in it's self. Again, it should be a two way street. If I can't just go get an AIRLINE job in Britain or Australia, you guys and gals should be S.O.L. over here. Fair is fair.

IF it WAS a two way street, I would have a different outlook.

AviatorTx, why don't you pack your bag and go to a flightschool in Europe and get your ratings there and apply for a job.

What's so f*cking difficult about that.

So stop complaining unless you've seriously tried to get a job there with the right qualifications.

Hey, but what do I know, I'm just.....

If you can get the legal right to work in Australia then you can apply to Qantas or whoever you want. You don't even have to marry a citizen, just live in a defacto relationship for two years, and even during that time you are eligible to work. It is easier than here. If you think all residents should be sent packing then all the expat US citizens to be sent back and start looking for jobs here. Its a two way street. Flame away!!

Latest resources

Back