Hired!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

snocone

In between flights today (as a flight instructor), I received a phone call. The conversation was not what I expected. I was asked if I would be interested in becoming a co-pilot on a Citation S/II! I flew right seat with this company from Eugene, OR to Las Vegas on Saturday, and today was offered the position. Originally, they were going to operate single pilot, but over the weekend decided to use a 2 pilot crew. Lucky for me! So excited to begin a career in the rare air! If anyone knows anything about this aircraft, please don't hesitate to fill me in. Good luck to all of you.

Congrats Dude

Hey nice to hear that even in this market there are still jobs to be had. Again Congrats on the new job.

Congratulations!

You are gonna love the Citation. Cessna basically makes 1 type of airplane....a C-172. Then they just vary it slightly, different engine(s), bigger cabin, etc. (You'll see what I mean, LOL!) But seriously, the Citation 500 series is the best first jet out there in my opinion. It's easier to fly than most of the bigger twins out there (C-421, Navajo, King Air, etc.). You only have 2 thrust levers to deal with, all the systems are very simple and typical Vref (landing speed) is around 100 knots. Single engine is no problem, kick in a little rudder and just keep on climbing. It's a very forgiving and flexible airplane....I've done 250 knots to a 4 mile final, and comfortable crossed the end of the runway at 100 knots, don't try that in a Learjet!

It may be a little slower than most jets, but it was never designed to compete with a Learjet, it was inteded to compete with a King Air. Compared to the typical King Air, you will cruise 100 Knots faster and 10,000' Higher, all at about the same operating costs per trip. Even compared to a Lear for example, most trips will take you only 5-15 minutes longer, big deal. Short field performance is great, I've used 3,500' runways with no problem, you won't do that in a Learjet either. Roomy Cockpit with big windows.

Citations are perfect airplanes for trips with a few passengers for up to around 1000 miles. Beyond that you probally want a midsize jet for better passenger comfort. The only real difference with the S/II is the "weeping wing" anti-ice system instead of de-ice boots. This system, from what I understand, is much more of a pain in the ass than it is worth. Boots are good, I probally only have to blow them a dozen times per year...and the airplane handles ice very well.

I can't think of much more to say right now, other than you will love it. By the way, I don't mean to rip on Learjets, they are great airplanes too. But the versatility of the Citation is outstanding.

Have Fun!
JetPilot500

Sounds like you have practiced the Cessna/Learjet speach for a while...Since I have moved on from Lear to a CItation VII...my Lear friends rip on me pretty good..."So, does that citation of yours come with the bird strike kit? You know, the chicken wire on the back of the engines so the birds don't fly up your rear?" Hardy har har har.

Lears are way more sexy though.

--Seabass

Hey congrats on the new job!!!!

The 550 is a great place to get started!

But I do have to disagree with the previous comment about the Lear being sexier! The earlier Citations maybe, but the lastest new and improved version is definitely one of the sexiest ever. And it doesn't need chicken wire on the tailpipes!!!!!

IDO.92........

Good work my man....

Let me know if you hear of any more jet jobs in EUG. I'm up in PDX.......

Snocone:

Congrats! I have allot of time in the S/II and you will love it. It's a great airplane to fly. Mine had EFIS on the left side and made switching seats interesting. Find out if you have the larger TKS tank for the wings. It helps. You will learn to manage the system in the weather after one winter, no sweat.

My only advice is dont get stuck holding in ice or you will end up landing to refill the tank. It happened to me once holding over Albany we had to land not because we were out of Jet-A but we were running out of TKS fluid! No other altitudes available. Also get creative with sunscreens. The Citations let the sun in.

Good luck!

Congrats on the job!

I'm in a similar situation as you're in, but I haven't been able to get a straight answer as far as the legitimacy of logging SIC time in an aircraft where the PIC has received a single pilot exemption, ie: CE-550/CE-560. Any input would be helpful, as I don't want to get laughed out of a 121 interview someday because I logged 1500 hours of SIC jet time Illegally. What do you guys think? Anyone ever been in a similar situation?

Last edited:
How the heck is any airline gonna know if you were flying with a Captain that was single pilot authorized? It is a 2 pilot airplane. They only allow an exemption if the pilot and airplane are specially authorized. It's not like you are flying a King Air with 2 pilots and trying to explain logging SIC time. Besides, you should at least be flying every other leg, not just working radios.

Good Luck,
Jetpilot 500

Correct me if I'm wrong, but an S/II can't be flown single pilot. I thought only 500's with correct paperwork, 501's and 551's can.

Latest resources

Back