• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hippocrates all of them.... esp. Obama

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I get it now, you are smarter than everyone else.

:rolleyes:

I never once said that, and I go out of my way as a moderator now not to personally attack anyone. Reading over some of your recent posts (one to me) you could learn a to do a bit of that yourself.

LJ45,

I remember when you were upset that our most recent President took a 747 to Crawford TX for his personal vacations..... or maybe not... because you didnt seem to care, I hope you cared about that being on your " dime " too..... you did right?

If its wasting money, its wasting money.... doesnt matter who does it right?

President Bush can do it for fun, so can this President.

Humorus try though...

for the record, I think Presidents of BOTH current parties can use the planes for stuff like this. Like em' or not.

The difference is, our past president didn't attack our industry and then use it in a hypocritical way. Hence what I said in my post.
If he wouldn't have opened his mouth and attacked aviation, places like Las Vegas I wouldn't have called him a hypocrite. It has nothing to do with Demo vs Rep, it's about leadership not creating sounds bites for the media, or for the far wing of ones party.

I never once said that, and I go out of my way as a moderator now not to personally attack anyone. Reading over some of your recent posts (one to me) you could learn a to do a bit of that yourself.

I take back my personal attack and apologize, since that is not my normal style.

I only meant to attack your political points you are trying to make and not you as a person.

FYI...

Several years ago, I remember running into John McCain on the road in a Falcon 50 owned by one of the large national home improvement stores (blue). I saw him in that plane right after he had bashed corporate aviation, I never forgot that.

I take back my personal attack and apologize, since that is not my normal style.

I only meant to attack your political points you are trying to make and not you as a person.

And I appreciate that... you know these senators who are on opposite sides of issues still manage to get along with each other, and the main reason is they must face each other. On here, we're all hiding behind annonymonus handles and that makes it too easy to behave in a way that you would never normally behave. It's why I am trying to moderate these forums by asking people to modify their behavior rather than issue 10 day bans and other harsh action

Heated debate is a good thing though, keep it up please.

And I appreciate that... you know these senators who are on opposite sides of issues still manage to get along with each other, and the main reason is they must face each other.

They're not senators, but I was always pleased to hear that, on the McLaughlin Group, Pat Buchanan and Eleanor Clift, despite being political polar opposites, are cordial to each other personally, and Pat helped Elanor with the loss of her husband.

They're not senators, but I was always pleased to hear that, on the McLaughlin Group, Pat Buchanan and Eleanor Clift, despite being political polar opposites, are cordial to each other personally, and Pat helped Elanor with the loss of her husband.

Yeah, a good example. BTW, I love Pat Buchanan, I was a huge supporter of his when he ran for president.. Hate Eleanor's rabid feminism, but I do agree with her a on a lot of other things.

Hippocrates? Isn't he the guy who developed the Hippocratic Oath?

This is why in Europe, they work so they can live.. and we here, live so we can work! The Chinese are giving us a run for our money though, and this is why our productivity has gone up far more than our income since the mid 1970's.. Welcome to the free market, unfettered.

But if you prefer to live in the land of Walmart and McDonnalds over the land of Mom and Pop stores and restaurants, you are on the right track.. we're living the dream here.

You may be right about this part, but look at how we arrived at this point. The 10s of millions that you say live on the verge of poverty still probably in the majority have cell phones, some form of pay television, credit issued by someone upon which they're enjoying accoutrement that are categorically beyond their means, etc., etc. American have dug themselves in to a hole inside of which they must live to work. It's sort of a tangent but still relevant: Most americans are more concerned with Paris Hilton and feeling offended because they "deserve" to have better lifestyles, too.

Damn, even Magic Johnson is peddling rented furniture for Rent-a-Center or someone making the statement about what your family "deserves". And if you have to rent new furniture, or 22" wheels for your car, or sink down in the pit of easy credit rip-offs then you're only perpetuating your own servitude to "stuff".

In my travels in EU I made notice early on that the average citizen gets by just fine with older things, broadcast TV, and a generally more modest way of living. And as you pointed out, they're happier for it.

It's keeping up with the Joneses thats causing the problems you laid out, not evil CEOs, banks, TARP, GM. The government has no business telling us how to run our companies any more than it does how to live our lives.

well rather than site web links, I have actually lived in Germany for 4 years and travelled throughout Europe. They have a higher (average) standard of living, and more importantly their countries are generally cleaner and better kept. Just take a drive thru the US and drive to the small towns and cities that have been ravaged by the demise of industry in our country.. the Walmartization of America.. Then, drive from the coast of France to Prague... you'd have to be brain dead not to notice the start difference.

We have a 3rd world country living with in the US.. you just don't see that in the EU.

On top of all this, the average EU worker gets 30 days of vacation each year or more.. some 60... and works under 40 hours a week.. has far less to worry about in his retirement years, and gets first class medical care no matter what his level of income. Those with more of course have access to private medicine which even further grants them an advantage.

With all due respect, I was stationed in Germany for 3 1/2 years and apparently you view things differently than I did.

In Europe almost NO ONE has a house the size of mine or owns 4 cars and an airplane. Yet in the US I would consider myself middle class.

In Europe (Germany) you typically have multiple generations living under the same roof. Oma and Opa upstairs Mom and Pop in the middle and kids on the bottom. There may be one vehicle for the entire family and not all of them can ride in it at the same time.

Europe is generally cleaner? Really? Been to Paris? Some parts of Europe are cleaner because they have laws that mandate that YOU sweep the sidewalks, not because some gov't worker comes by and does it.

Europe is a great place if your life revolves around soccer and pub culture. If you would rather live in an apartment than own a home you'll love Europe. Sure their are plenty of historic buildings and cemetaries and alot of bars.

Europe has no poverty? Really? What about the riots in Paris a few years ago? I would say that nearly half the population of Germany and France lives in conditions that I would not want for myself. When I lived in Germany there were plenty of Turks living there in poverty. Look a little further to the East to find the poverty in Europe. Oh it's there, trust me. Poverty is a relative thing, and when you are all at a lower level the bottom is not that far from from the top.

As for socialized medicine, I have had a small taste of it through the VA. Thanks but no thanks. Sure our system has it's flaws, but putting the same people who run the DMV in charge of it is only going to make it worse. The fact that a private system exists is proof that socialized medicine is lacking.

Europeans get 30 days of vacation a year. Well they got us beat there. They also pay alot more in taxes and envy our freedom much more than they like to let on. How many Europeans do you know that have permanently immigrated to the United States? How many Americans do you know that have emmigrated to Europe? It just doesn't happen very frequently.

Obviously you have an issue with Wal Mart. When I lived in Germany the stores were closed on Saturdays (except Langsamstag) and Sundays as mandated by the government. Stores (even large ones) were required to close at lunchtime, so that mom and pop shops could compete with them. 24 hour gas stations or grocery stores forget about it. I for one am appreciative of WalMart for keeping everyone else out there competitive.

This country is great for what it is. Are there things we can take from Europe to improve our lifestyle here? Absolutely. But let Europe be Europe and let the US be the US. One great thing about being an American is that you are free to leave at any time.

You have romanticized your memories of Europe and forgotten all the PITA things about living over there. For example, your trip from the coast of France to Prague would not have even been possible 20 years ago. Today it would cost you a fortune in gas, and you would have to stop and show your passport 3 times. The Autobahn is now ruined with all the trucks from eastern Europe on it. It's a great place to vacation, but you wouldn't want to live there.

Latest resources

Back