High Time / Not Current = No Interview?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

OldTomcat

Looking for currency & hiring discussion.

I have over 5000 hours, Mil and CFI prior to that, most of time is turbine Multi-engine. Unfortunately, military assignment didn't allow me to fly much (<20 hours) last two years. No Type Rating. Is my lack of currency the primary reason I haven't received a call to interview after 6-months of looking? --or, is it just the market in general? Before 9/11, folks were telling me that currency isn't as big of an issue for someone with this much time and experience. I have constrained my Part 91/135 commuter search to SW U.S.

I understand the personal currency for competency side of it -- I did the weekend ATP thing and had no problem with instrument work.

I'm trying to decide whether I should reinstate my CFI by getting MEI/CFII and build some bug-smasher time, rent the C-172 once a week, pay for a type rating, or just sit here in front of this computor, job networking and sending resumes.

Thanks!

:confused:

Well as you well know, the market and industry suck right now... The currency issue might be a factor... but probably not as big as the overall market conditions...

I would, however, get that additional Instructor rating, just to show you are doing your part to continue to fly and advance yourself in any practical way you can...

Good luck!

As I understand the scoring system at SkyWest, someone who had 300 hours of PIC multi-engine crew turbine time in instrument conditions in Part 121/135 operations in the last 6 months would score higher than you would with 5000 hours of flight time more than a year ago. That is a bit simplistic, but it gives you an idea of the value is placed on recent hard time rather than loads of old time.

Some recent Part 135 work (and some letters of recommend from SkyWest pilots) would get SkyWest's attention for an interview.

Being current is important, but from what you wrote, I'd say a MUCH bigger factor is your self-imposed limitation of only looking in the SW region, which traditionally has always had the fewest amount of flying jobs in the country. (I can understand your desire though. Give me a G-lV based in Santa Fe and I'm there!)

Given your experience, hours, and background, any prospective employer knows that its just a matter of brushing up skills you have proven already, but none of that matters if you can't "be there" in the first place.

After getting current I would target Part 91 corporate flight departments who operate jet fleets. Every one has a different corporate culture, and your military background will definitely get you noticed by some. Obviously most are situated around large metro areas, but not all. Plus, even starting pay is livable for you and a family, unlike any regional airline or charter outfit. Also try the fractionals...you can live where you want to which is a big bonus.

Good luck

When hiring is hot and the pool of experience pilots low, then currency isn't as important, but still important. When I retired from the military, I was current, but only flying about 50 hours a year. I had to settle for a second tier company for a couple of years to build up 121 and current time . . . as well as the type rating. Right now, there's quite a few US Air guys on the street, all with current part 121 time and I'm sure the willingness to resign seniority if they could get onto someone like Southwest. BTW, I just heard SWA is requiring a type rating again to even be considered for an interview.

Supply and demand. Can't get around it.

Have you applied to NetJets or some of the fractional operators?

Good luck.

Stay current

I'd reinstate the CFI. For one thing, as you know, your CFI is a tangible credential with which you can find work - and stay current on someone else's nickel. Airline apps almost always ask how much flying one has done during the past six months. If you put down zero, it is not a postive. You are always better off doing everything possible to keep flying

I wouldn't recommend that you buy the type rating. You don't need it. You already have excellent quals from the military. I'd say "yes" to that if and only if you had a chance to get a Citation job. If you want to spend the money, you're better off upgrading your CFI, and for a lot less money than the type. Any leftover money you can use for intensive sim work and interview prep, both of which would be tax-deductable (in the alternative, you can send your leftover money to me so I can get current and reinstate my CFI! :) ).

That's my .02. Good luck with your job search.

Thanks for all the feedback-- hope it has helped others as well. I'm continually impressed by the helpfulness on this site.

Some comments on your comments:

- "Looking in SW only" I must have misstated, better stated-- I'm not willing to move my family for a job that will just barely pay for the move -- I can't bear the wife's bitching -- allot of Corporate /charter in SOCAL, but seems like they are getting tired of paying for type ratings. Fracs seem even more focused on recent experience, regardless of TT -- a senior at NETJETS told me they've had trouble with new hires with low recent time.

- Corporate Flight Department culture: the Military vs. Civillian thing has been a real eye-opener for me. I think I lost an opportunity because there was an uprising among the predominately civillian background pilots when I was being looked at. -- Pls don't use me to launch into a Mil vs. Civil debate -- both have folks that walked to flight school in 2 feet of snow. "Culture" is definitely a factor.

Yep, supply and demand--- and perseverance.

Off to continuew study for my CFII / MEI writtens-- on your advice. I'm going to "Sheble's" Accelerated, unless someone tells me it's a mistake-- I wouldn't recommend it for the inexperienced.

Thanks

Sheble's

For someone like you, good choice. You'll do fine with your background. I got my ATP there 13½ years ago when he was in Blythe. You absolutely, positively, must be prepared if you go to Sheble's.

Good luck with your rating(s). Enjoy your probable 2.0 (including checkride) in the airplane at Sheble's. :D

OldTomcat said:
Thanks for all the feedback-- hope it has helped others as well. I'm continually impressed by the helpfulness on this site.

allot of Corporate /charter in SOCAL, but seems like they are getting tired of paying for type ratings. Fracs seem even more focused on recent experience, regardless of TT -- a senior at NETJETS told me they've had trouble with new hires with low recent time.

Thanks

They are not getting "tired" of paying for type ratings, they are simply finding that in a more competitive job market, they don't HAVE to pay for them, not if they can find some one to send to recurrent, instead!

I don't usually advocate buying a type, and I would never suggest buying a type as a prerequisite to getting a job , but in your particular case, instead of re-newing a CFII rating, I would consider going to Carlsbad and getting a straight-wing Citation type from Mike Pappas, instead. I think it's less than $4000.

That will show that you are teachable, current, and will "balance out" your high time. Having 5000 hrs and no type ratings might raise some red flags, if someone didn't bother to look further into it, and, sad to say, in this market, a lot of employers aren't going to call you and ask for the details . . . .

Having that CE500 type will probably open some doors for you, at least for some day-hire SIC or co-captain work (which 10 or 15 days of that will have paid for the type-rating), but most importantly, when you are out there, working in the system, you will be meeting people and should be able to network your way into a decent position.

If you are still interested in NetJets then, that also ought to get their attention.

I am basing this advice on my 5 years as a corporate jet pilot.

Best of Luck

Last edited:
Mike Pappas

Here again, only unless someone is dangling a job in front of you contingent on getting the type, I wouldn't do it. Your Navy fighter and A-4 quals speak for themselves. But, if you must get a Citation type, Mike Pappas is the guy to go to.

I got my Citation with Mike 12½ years ago when he was Professional Airlines Systems. He is now Flight Crew Systems, Inc. Some of the best fun I had in aviation was training with Mike Pappas. A great four days. He delivers on everything he promises. Do read through the huge, loose-leaf Citation manual he sends before class. An important plus of his course, at least when I went, was that it was 141-approved. For that reason, maybe you have some G.I. bill benies that would pay for it.

Another benefit of going to Mike is he is one of the most saavy aviation people you'll meet. It's almost worth it just to attend his course to get his input on your plans. I remember that during our class he ran a mini-interview prep course for us.

Once again, good luck with your plans

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back