High Time / Not Current = No Interview?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Paying for Type

So what do you folks that are familiar with Corporate / Charter hiring think of this, for someone that has been offered a job if they "only had a type rating:"

Would a company be willing to sign a contract that says something like: "we'll hire you for $x amount, you (pilot) pay for type and therefore there is no contract payback for training"

The pilot pays for his own training and has some control over his future if a better offer comes along-- of course I would rather have the company pay, but it is not happening at the moment--- as someone said, the type may pay for itself in a fairly short amount of time.

I see this as being a little different than paying for hours, since a pilot is investing in himself for a specific skill.

:confused:

Buying a type vs. reinstating CFI

I have to agree with Ty Webb that in your case you might consider buying a Citation type rating, and Mike Pappas would be a good selection. Corporate Flight Departments looking for fill-in help on that aircraft type might be interested in adding you to their insurance for SIC duties on an as needed basis.

You can gain some exposure to other jet operators by being seen in their front yard. You can make contacts with the management of other Part 91 and 135 jet operators and maintain periodic calls to those folks. Ultimately you might have a good chance of getting on as a full time SIC with someone in your backyard that is a Citation 500 series operator. At that time it can be more cost effective for them to send you to recurrent since you already have the type rating.

The CFI re-instatement should not be a major cost effort. Just another way to boost your currency by instructing in your spare time.

Good luck!

CC

Getting a bizjet type with the GI Bill paying for most of it might not be a bad idea. Going to a major, nobody's going to know if you paid for your own bizjet type rating anyway.

Have you looked into Polar Air Cargo? They generally like military guys and will get you a 747 type rating. Tough hard work but maybe not too bad for a few years until something better opens up.

For anyone else considering Mike Pappas' school, a comment from a local corporate / charter company: "Ony problem with Pappas school is that it is not approved by all Insurance Companies. It might be better to go to Flight Safety in Long Beach, and be trained for specific 135 Certificate,and do your 135 checkride in the airplane."

Of course I suspect it is more expensive as well.

OldTomcat said:
For anyone else considering Mike Pappas' school, a comment from a local corporate / charter company: "Ony problem with Pappas school is that it is not approved by all Insurance Companies. It might be better to go to Flight Safety in Long Beach, and be trained for specific 135 Certificate,and do your 135 checkride in the airplane."

Of course I suspect it is more expensive as well.

What your contact is talking about is not the same thing I am talking about. A type from Pappas will work fine, for what I sugested it for- SIC work- remember, a type is not required for a SIC.

I did NOT suggest you get a Citation type on your own nickle as a prerequisite to being hired somewhere- I suggested you get your own type rating because, as it stands right now, you probably have quite a bit of turbojet time on your resume, and no type ratings- not a good thing, from the standpoint of someone screening resumes. Hell, it's not even possible to log turbojet PIC without a type rating (in the civilian world) and a lot of civilian guys don;t know much about military aircraft designations.

As for the 135 training- what he said doesn't make sense, unless you already have a job offer. You see, there is no such thing as a "generic" 135 checkride, you can't get a 135 check from FSI or Simuflite unless you are on someone's certificate and they have submitted a T/A (training authorization).

I would not buy a type as a contingency for a 135 SIC job- that is the company's responsibility to train the employee. If someone hires you as a 135 pilot, it will be their responsibility to send you to school for their training.

What I was suggesting was that you get a cheap type to round out your certificates/ratings, show currency, etc, and to make yourself competitive for day-hire work.

I

"Pappas school" Citation type -- SOCAL

Reply to my inquiry regarding the "Pappas" Citation school in SOCAL.

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding our Citation Type Rating School. We offer a comprehensive program, which includes a three-day ground school, cockpit procedural training and rating ride. For your convenience, we have examining authority on the aircraft. All materials are provided, including the Citation Flight Operations Manual, Flight Training Manual, and Performance Manual. In addition, you will receive regular handouts, such as class notes, specifications sheets, gauge sheets, etc. We are the only school that utilizes corporate pilots exclusively to instruct. The total cost of our course is $4500, which includes 3 hours in the jet, plus $500 paid to the Examiner. We also offer expanded courses with 5 hours in the jet for $7250. Our VA Approved 141 course with 7 hours in the aircraft allows serviceman to take advantage of their GI Benefits.

The class is held the third week of each month, Monday through Friday, at our facility at Palomar airport. Our next course opening is November 11th – November 15th, convening at 9:00am. Our December Course is the 16th – 20th. Off scheduled courses may also be arranged in advance at a mutually convenient time for an additional fee. You will find accommodations very close to our school.

A $500 deposit is required for each student to enroll. Upon receipt, your position in the course is secured and we mail you the Citation manual and course notes. Most students appreciate the opportunity to review aircraft systems prior to arrival.

If you have an interest in our program, I would like to mail you our information packet. Please feel free to call with any additional questions. I look forward to meeting you in class.

Sincerely,

Kent N. Parrish, President
2056 Palomar Airport Road, Suite N
Carlsbad, CA 92008
760-476-0890
858-271-6029 fax

Latest resources

Back