Hey YIP

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
N817AA said:
We don't have to file at USA JET. WE have dispatchers to take care of it.

"We don't have to file".

My God do they list that as a company benefit? "Pilots don't have to file here?"

Why would they waste their time with the pilots filing when they can spend it with them with their pants down takin it in the pooper?

When the hell would you have time to file?

"In the building in 25 and wheels up in 45 from the call"? If this is true, you guys don't even have enough time to safely evaluate the weather and the rest of the flight plan in my opinion. You're too busy being all "a$$hole and elbows" racing the clock.

Who do they find to do this job?

Last edited:
Redmeat said:
"We don't have to file".

My God do they list that as a company benefit? "Pilots don't have to file here?"

Why would they waste their time with the pilots filing when they can spend it with them with their pants down takin it in the pooper?

When the hell would you have time to file?

"In the building in 25 and wheels up in 45 from the call"? If this is true, you guys don't even have enough time to safely evaluate the weather and the rest of the flight plan in my opinion. You're too busy being all "a$$hole and elbows" racing the clock.

PHP:
Who do they find to do this job?[/
quote]

Not whiney crybabies like you.

Redmeat said:
Call me what you like but those work rules are B.S no matter what angle you want to base your argument from.

How's your pooper feel?:0

Yea, I called you what I like because it's true. And your last line on your post proves you're also an imbecile.

Family time

Gulf guy lots of our pilots have, hobbies, and side businesses, they are only gone from home base an average of about 5 days a month. Now they made have out back over nights. Actually as far as time with your family goes I would say USA Jet is way above average.

Last edited:
Safely launch

PCL, as far as the union thing goes, having worked at 2 union airlines in the on-demand business. I would take USA Jet over what I had there any day. As far as being safely launched in 45 minute, the military does that stuff all the time and they do it safely, I would say our launch procedures are very similar. The flight plan comes from Jepps data plan, with flight plan required fuel, dispatch fuels the airplane. Dispatch pulls printed weather dest, alt, enroute, and notams, for you, if there is bad stuff the dispatcher will have more detail, the F/O goes to the airplane takes about 10 minutes to set up and get clearance while the Captain is reviewing weather, routing, load plan, etc. Maintenance has pre-flighted the airplane at YIP. The Captain gets to the airplane closes the door, runs the pre-start and you are ready to go. If it can not be done safely, we do not do it. I want to be as open as possible about working conditions at USA Jet, so guys like you and G guy will not apply. But lots of guys think this is not a bad place to work. Some our NWA furloughees, say they are not going anywhere.

Last edited:
Hi!

Shedding some light on the situation at USA Jet:

First, so you know where I'm coming from:
I've flown for the USAF (rotary and fixed-wing), Trans States Airlines and USA Jet. I've also worked as a DI collegiate coach and a full-time teacher. I like my job at USA Jet the best.

25" Callout with a 45" TO?-Not usually:
When we are in DTW, we do have to be in Operations in 25", WHEN we are called for a short-notice trip. Lots of our trips have longer call-out times-for example you answer the page and they tell you to show in 90". Also, many times when you get in to Operations, you find out that your block-out time is longer than 45" from call-out, so you have even more time than expected.

On a typical short-notice trip, you know you are #1 to be called so you can be prepared. When they call you they tell you where all of your stops are, and where you are picking up and dropping off cargo (or PAX-Of course, if you're PAX, you have a min 2-hr. call-out time, and almost all PAX trips are scheduled way ahead of time.) You show up, and your logcan with all your aircraft info is on the desk, along with your coversheet with a summary of your trip, and your flight plans for all your legs, with the notams and weather. If you are going to an unusual airport, the dispatcher has the Jepps book out and briefs you on that airport.

On the Falcon, while the FO gets the plane ready and sets up the cockpit, the Capt checks the WX/Notams and gets briefed on the trip by the Dispatcher (who, obviously, as already had the flight plan filed, along with customs, if necessary). If you want to visually check the weather the computer is at the end of the desk with the WX program already running.

Out at the airplane, the Capt does the walkaround. If there's a problem, or a question about MX, you call MX and they come out and check it out. If that delays you past your 45" TO time (if you even had one in the first place), that's no problem. If you take off and something breaks, you return (or divert, if returning's not an option), and either get it fixed or get a new airplane.

MX/Regs:
If something breaks, you tell the company, and it's either fixed, they give you a new plane, or you don't do the trip. We follow all the regs, including for HAZMAT trips. If the HAZMAT freight and paperwork are perfect, it still takes you at least 1 hour to process the extra checklists and coordinate with Dispatch to ensure everything is perfect. If it isn't perfect, the trip is not flown. Of my last 5 assigned HAZMAT trips, only 2 were actually flown, as the other three had problems, and I didn't fly the freight.

Just like any 121 airline, we have numbered log pages, and everything has to be signed off and perfect, otherwise we don't fly the plane.
Note: USA Jet is -121 supplemental. We have a waiver letter from the FAA to operate the Falcons -135. All of the training, MX, documentation, etc. is -121.

Weather:
I've been at USA Jet for 3 years, and have watched my captain fly one(1) approach to 200' mins. I've never flown an approach lower than 250' until we saw the runway and/or lights, and that's probably on only about 3 approaches.

I'm sure the airline guys have flown a lot more low approaches than we do. Why? Because if the weather's really bad we don't go there.

For example, we have had a number of trips given to our Dispatch, who either change the airport of arrival, or turn down the trip outright because of the weather. If we are doing a trip, and at some point we see the weather is not very good, we just change the airport of destination to a nearby one that has better weather/longer runway/better approaches, etc. We don't have to get our cargo to a specific airport, just to the general area. Also, we do a TON of flying into the Mexican border area and Mexico itself, which usually means relatively good weather.

I know one of our pilots who had a takeoff out of Detroit, and the runway conditions were questionable. This pilot told Dispatch that he wasn't comfortable with the conditions, and Dispatch said "OK"-end of story. After about 5 hours the runway conditions were better, but that crew had burned through a lot of duty time, so Dispatch brought in a new crew to fly the trip.

A bunch of our pilots have had long days, and told Dispatch they were terminating their flying as they were too tired-end of story. I've had Dispatch tell me they're giving me 16 hours off as we had a pretty tiring trip. I've asked Dispatch for more than 10 hours off, and 95% of the time they give me more than 10. When we block in out of town, we finish the logbook and postflight, wait for the hotel van, check in, get in our rooms, and then start our 10 hours off. Usually they also round up to the next 1/2 hour or so to start our crew rest. At TSA it was 15" after block in, as per the contract, regardless of anything else. Sometimes it's more flexible not having a contract.

Pay, QOL, etc:
Starting pay is a base of $33K, and you will make more than that. Most of our Falcon trips we don't load the freight, and if we do, we get paid for it. We only load the freight for free if it's something easy, like a couple of 30 lb. boxes.

If you're off station with days off coming up, the co. will fly you back to DTW, or somewhere else if it's practical (I've been airlined home a number of times). They will also airline you from your home to a plane, if practical. One of my crashpad mates wasn't in DTW for 6+ weeks, because the co. kept airlining him in and out of his hometown airport.

If the company wants to use you on one (or more) of your days off, you have 3 options.
1-Just say NO.
2-Take 4 hours of pay as compensation, which for new guys = $51+/hour x four hrs = $204+
3-Bank your day off for use at a time of your choosing.

The Falcon guys have 10 hard days off out of 28, with a variety of schedules (10 in a row/2 blocks of 5/3 blocks of 3-3-4, etc.) The -9 guys have 12 hard days off, with their 1/7 often giving them more days off. Most pilots have the holidays off, if you're flying freight, as most manufacturers are shut down on the holidays. My first year I was home for Thanksgiving and XMas.

The average is about 1 year to move to the -9, or upgrade to Falcon captain. The -9 base pay is $36k, and they fly more than the Falcons.

One negative (for most? pilots) is that we fly less than the scheduled airlines, usually about 40-60 hours/month.

Of course, flying for SWA, FedEx, Alaska, or a GOOD corporate outfit is a better job than USA Jet, and if you have a job like that-good for you! I know a guy who flies for Alaska, and he says a lot of their pilot's bitch incessantly.

If I found a job that was definitely better, I'd take it. These days, it's getting harder and harder to find better aviation jobs.

If you'd like more info about USA Jet, pm me.

Cliff
GRB

PS-One Falcon capt I knew, who lives in DTW (I commute) says he was averaging over 20 nights/month at home.

PPS-As far as commuting, we were just notified that we will be in CASS ASAP.

Latest resources

Back