• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hey Sully, Eat This!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have been in his shoes. I am not gonna say I am above average or average or below average pilot, but with 600 hours total time in that situation with no place to land the

1st priority is to crash in open ground under full control of the airplane,

and not have the airplane hit anything to tumble it.

Landing on concrete runway and then going off the end or side like in LGA will crack the airplane, rip the fuel tanks in the belly or wings and cause a fire like in previous crashes.

Looking at and iffy approach and going for it is not a good option. When I had my engine failure I could have made a "B" line for the soybean field but I was not sure I would clear the tree line so I headed for open ground first so they could get to me. It wasn't long enough for me to land without going underneathe phone lines, but I knew help would get to me if I survived.

Apparently you need to familiarize yourself to the destination involved, go back to flipping burgers.
More like, you're an idiot know-it-all for thinking that your brain works like Favre's quarterbacking. Go back to your mental masturbation and feeding your big belly.
Okay Super-Geniuses.
Which one of these do you think is a good idea:

Launch to an island without enough gas to go somewhere else (Single Engine) (+45 minutes!) if things don't pan out.
------or-----
Have enough gas to go somewhere else, but burn it all shooting non-precision approaches in the middle of the ocean.

Go ahead and tell us this is such good decision making that it's the way you operate your aircraft.

Would you have thrown a ticker-tape parade for that Pinnacle Crew that core-locked their Canadair if only they had managed to (heroically?) dead-stick somewhere?:confused:
Had everybody perished, this guy's decision would have become a classroom lesson on idiocy. The thought that anyone defends his decision as heroic is truly alarming.

Exactly.

Last edited:
I have been in his shoes. I am not gonna say I am above average or average or below average pilot, but with 600 hours total time in that situation with no place to land the

Landing on concrete runway and then going off the end or side like in LGA will crack the airplane, rip the fuel tanks in the belly or wings and cause a fire like in previous crashes.

Looking at and iffy approach and going for it is not a good option. When I had my engine failure I could have made a "B" line for the soybean field but I was not sure I would clear the tree line so I headed for open ground first so they could get to me. It wasn't long enough for me to land without going underneathe phone lines, but I knew help would get to me if I survived.

Glad you're okay but apples and oranges.

Agreed

Water CAN and HAS done that. Repeatedly.

As will landing on water about 80% of the time.

I can think of 3 crashes in open water off the top of my head where the aircraft landed flat, under full control, then tumbled, ripping off wings, tail, etc, and killing most everyone on board. One or two of them are in just about every airline's CFIT and CRM videos.

He got lucky. Period.

After the first attempt, he had plenty of time and opportunity to make his own approach to the runway. Anyone here that cannot calculate a "vdp" with head math from any approach plate not so defined should probably review that process. It should already be REQUIRED in your approach brief anyway.

Which would you prefer in an emergency? The option to descend IMC below mins, maybe even all the way to the runway, in a controlled and calculated decent? Or ditch "in shark infested waters" at night? Are you kidding?

Had everybody perished, this guy's decision would have become a classroom lesson on idiocy. The thought that anyone defends his decision as heroic is truly alarming.

As far as Sully's concerned, like him post accident or not, his "time" called and he stood up to the test. Many are alive because of it and that's really all that matters in the end. Comparing the Aus. accident to his is laughable at best.
Spot on.

If he had an ILS approach then a zerozero landing would have been the best choice vs 6 ft waves. He was doing a non precision approach so the chances of landing on the runway were minimal. Does anybody know what the ceiling and vis were that night? He pulled it off so possibly crashing into a building missing the runway might have been a bad idea. It seems that monday morning quarterbacking has taken over again.

Landing in the Hudson is a lot different then the ocean. Not like he had any choice in the matter. I just think 95% of us could have pulled it off. Give yourselves more credit.

As for apples and oranges...

Sully would have had to go underneathe the George Washington bridge with a big as boat moving into his flight path for it to be more like my experience...

so yeah I guess apples and oranges applies.

If he had an ILS approach then a zerozero landing would have been the best choice vs 6 ft waves. He was doing a non precision approach so the chances of landing on the runway were minimal. Does anybody know what the ceiling and vis were that night? He pulled it off so possibly crashing into a building missing the runway might have been a bad idea. It seems that monday morning quarterbacking has taken over again.

Yes, it has, guilty as charged.

The WX at the time of accident was YSNF 181030Z AUTO 16009KT 3000NDV // OVC002 19/18 Q1013

That's VFR if you're a freight dog, but I digress. 2 sets of eyes on board (one in, one out), quite likely an autopilot and a calculated glidepath from the MDA and it's essentially a non-event.

Admittedly, if it were a circling only approach, then I could see a preference for a ditch.

Anyone got plates?

Hmmm.

Two days waiting for WAnKA and Say Again to enlighten us further on how they would follow their hero's footsteps and run a plane out of gas in the middle of the ocean.

C'mon guys. You called me a lot of names earlier....don't run away now. Be Man enough to stand behind your statements. Couple of questions in post #42 that I'm dying to hear your answer to. Tell this burger-flipping, mouth-breathing, Big Bellied(?), mentally masturbating idiot that putting a perfectly good airplane into the water is Heroic.

I based my assessment on what actually happened. Were you too mesmerized by the dude's picture to read the story?:D

Last edited:
My wife felt sorry for the birds after the U.S. Airways incident.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back