• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Here U go, more PFT!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't agree with Bobbysamd on a lot of things but I'm 100% with him here. Get that degree - you will skyline yourself without it - because you never know when you might lose your medical.

Yep, like a person much wiser than I told me....

"...Son, a 4yr degree will open doors for you that might otherwise remain closed..."

It's as simple as that folks....like it or not.

Get it, you'll be glad you did at some point in your life.

nothing against 4 yr degree

When you go for the interview at LLC, you will be called in on the quality and quantity of your flight time, not the possession of a 4 yr degree, the degree might make a slight difference between two candidates at decision time, but the pilot who started pursuing flight right out of high school will have his flight time sooner and be interviewing in his mid 20's as opposed to the 4 yr degree guy typically in his late 20's. And if the 4 yr degree is in Applied Flight Technology from South Bumblebee State, where you get 15 credits for all your CFI's, 15 Credits for your Comm/Inst. etc. and the recruiter compares this to the non 4 yr degree pilot with a CFI, ATP, 500 MEL Turbin PIC, the 4 yr degree will carry very little weight and flight experience will be the telling factor. And if you drop out of flying the aviation degree from Bumblebee State will be close to useless. So if you are going to college to have a backup plan get a degree that leads to employment, Teacher, Nurse, CPA, Engineer, but many of the 4 yr degree seeking potential pilots will pursue a degree in Aviation Tech and I believe this hurts your career because every where except the majors you are hired on the quaility of your flight time and your personality. The four year degree limits your ability to build flight time. I have seen too many successful pilots without a 4 yr degree. No offense to Bumblebee State grads, they have great flight program.

Last edited:
Now....slowly back away from the 12 pack of Schlitz.

Im outta this one!

Degree

pilotyip said:
When you go for the interview at LLC, you will be called in on the quality and quantity of your flight time, not the possession of a 4 yr degree, the degree might make a slight difference between two candidates at decision time . . . .
(emphasis added)

. . . . And if it were me, I sure would want that slight difference to be in my favor.
And if you drop out of flying the aviation degree from Bumblebee State will be close to useless.
Not necessarily true. I've heard of people with aviation degrees who land jobs in industry and in airport management. No college degree is useless.

Get the degree. Make sure it is from an accredited college, or it will be useless.

No college degree is useless.

I have a couple friends with BAs in History and in English and they'd tend to disagree.

:D

Minh

exactly

Exactly my point if those two college grads wanted to be pilots they would be way ahead in their career by spending the 40K-60K that the college cost someone, on ratings and pursuit of flying airplanes to make their resumes look good in terms of flt time and experience.

For Bobby, "the college degree might make a difference if both had equal quaifications" the point is as stated later in the same post, the college grad and the non-college grad will never be equal at the same age. The non-college grad pursuing a pilot's career will always have 1000-2000 hours more flight time. This is becasue he started flying first. There are many people out there who do not want to go to college or are not suited for college. For these people flying is still a career choice and college it not suited for them. BTW Bill Gates and David Neilman (Sp?) the brains behind JB, do not have college degrees.

Most major airlines will not interview a candidate without the 4 year degree. Many other airlines will not as well. You put yourself at a disadvantage without a degree.

(Not) exactly

pilotyip said:
For Bobby, "the college degree might make a difference if both had equal quaifications" the point is as stated later in the same post, the college grad and the non-college grad will never be equal at the same age. The non-college grad pursuing a pilot's career will always have 1000-2000 hours more flight time. This is becasue he started flying first.
(emphasis added)

That's immaterial. Total quality of experience matters. You should know, in your position as talent buyer. Hours, or lack thereof, is only one criterion. If push comes to shove, the college grad with have the advantage at most majors and probably the regionals, too. Not having at least some college puts one at a disadvantage.

Get out your back issues of Career Pilot. You'll see that the vast majority of pilots hired by the majors had at least some college, if not four-year degrees or more.

I agree that some people are not suited for college. But you're dispensing bad advice by telling people that college is irrelevant to an aviation career. Especially to those who want to go and should go, but do not because you said they didn't have to. For them, the playing field will never be level.

Last edited:
BTW Bill Gates and David Neilman (Sp?) the brains behind JB, do not have college degrees.

Neither does Michael Dell. He dropped out of UT to focus on his computer company. But these guys never had to apply for a job. If you want to go out and start your own airline, you wouldn't need a degree either.

Latest resources

Back