• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Helping fellow pilots during a furlough

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why do furloughed pilot deserve my money any more than a poor Haitian who is forced to eat dirt. Yes...many people in Haiti eat dirt to help prevent the fealing of starvation. It is a slow death.

Or, why does a furloughed pilot deserve my money any more than my recently divorced aunt who is trying to support her two kids on the salary of a part time gate agent?

I think the point is...there are many people in need of charity. This is America, and I should be able to choose what I do with MY money.

Why are you on this forum? Because you are a pilot. Most pilots would like to think that we look out for one another. I guess you feel differently. Why aren't you on the starving Haitian forum? Give from the heart to the charities that YOU think are deserving. You don't have to talk about it, just do it. Unless,of course, you expect someone to give you credit for your generosity.
God forbid you need charity someday and YOU don't meet the requirements that you have set forth here.

Some of us in the industry are lucky to have second flying or non-flying jobs which allow us to make ends meet. The best thing that we can do to help those in need is to let those who need the jobs have them.

I accepted a voluntary furlough from my airline and made my part-time gig full time. This way, someone who really needs the job can have one to feed their family.

Not everyone is able to do this, but I encourage those of us who can to do so. It keeps everyone working.

Some of us in the industry are lucky to have second flying or non-flying jobs which allow us to make ends meet. The best thing that we can do to help those in need is to let those who need the jobs have them.

I accepted a voluntary furlough from my airline and made my part-time gig full time. This way, someone who really needs the job can have one to feed their family.

Not everyone is able to do this, but I encourage those of us who can to do so. It keeps everyone working.

Cudos Russian.....now that's what I'm talking about.

Pilots helping pilots.

You don't have to do it, but if you can find a way, then by all means do it.

When I was furloughed from UA in 2001, I was contacted by a guy that I flew with at a previous airline. I wasn't particularly close to him, and I hadn't talked to him in years, but he offered me $$$. I'm not talking about a one time gift, he was going to give me X amount a month until I was able to support myself again. He had actually worked it into the family budget and explained how he could afford it. I was shocked, and didn't know how to respond. After all, he didn't make more than about 70K, and had a wife and kids to support. I declined his offer but was moved by the gesture just the same.

Somehow I think those days are over, and to me, that is a shame.

Why do furloughed pilot deserve my money any more than a poor Haitian who is forced to eat dirt. Yes...many people in Haiti eat dirt to help prevent the fealing of starvation. It is a slow death..

I may be reaching but i think the pilot has a little better skill set than the haitan. How many points did the US students fall in science and math on the universal test scores this year? 10-20 points?

Last edited:
The way that some pilots help other pilots on furlough is by picking up as much open time at premium pay as they are allowed under the FAR's.

While, I'm a fan of helping out in many ways when somebody needs help, paying somebody's salary out of your paycheck is a bit over the top for me. We already pay unemployment insurance out of our paycheck each month in taxes. Why would somebody want to give up a piece of an ever-shrinking paycheck?

Pilots help pilots by telling them to put some money in the bank because furloughs happen unexpectedly.

The best way you can help your furloughed brethren is to NOT WORK ONE MINUTE over what you are required to by your contract. Every second you work over guarantee is work the guy on street should be doing. OPEN TIME is work the company can't cover. They should be forced to cancel the flight if the furloughed guy isn't allowed to do it. Picking up OPEN TIME while guys are on the street makes you a DIRTBAG.

Say what you will about USAPA, just please utilize one of the other many and varied topic posts to do so.

I am furloughed from US Airways. USAPA is about to send to the pilots to ratify a program to fund the furloughed pilot's medical insurance costs.

There is also a program about to become reality to do just what someone else mentioned; provide funds for a furloughed pilot who can tangibly demonstrate a very real financial need on a case by case basis. This comes from a collective fund from the East pilot that already existed.

Both are surprising to me, and may make the difference between me having to sell my house or other desperate measures.

I ain't sayin' nothing, I'm jes' sayin'.

People never accuse you of 'greed' for wanting other people's money --- only for wanting to keep your own money.

Latest resources

Back