• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Help a furloughed pilot decide please

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't know. I've never worked for a fractional. After 11 years at the airlines i'm at a corporation where, last year, I spent a grand total of 6 nights away from my own bed (not including recurrent).

Do I miss the big comfortable cockpit? You bet. But not much else.

Im going to be honest because it will not help me or you if you come here. It would slow down my upgrade and you would be stuck in a J4J hell for a year and a half min if not longer.

Good Luck,

Thanks for the insight. I'm fully aware of the withholding (by contract they can withhold for the first 12 mos or 9 mos after recall, whichever is later, but we'd be pay and benefit protected to LCC compensation) and I'd fully expect to be pretty much number last for the whole time on reserve and commuting from DFW. That's why it's such a tough call to make; is it really worth all the crap just for logging the PIC and banking an extra $700-800/mo?.

I don't know. I've never worked for a fractional. After 11 years at the airlines i'm at a corporation where, last year, I spent a grand total of 6 nights away from my own bed (not including recurrent).

Do I miss the big comfortable cockpit? You bet. But not much else.

And yet you had to think about bypassing. Ridiculous the scenarios we have to play through our head to try and get it right! I don't think anyone reading this thread can really understand without being in a similar situation. I always heard furloughs were tough and thought, yeah probably but big deal, move on. Then when it happens it hits you like a ton 'o bricks and you question everything you've ever done and second guess every choice you make. Waaaaaa. Crying over. Open that Fort Worth arm of your dept so I can escape this airline junk already!

Now, I see you're talking about eventually working for AA, SWA or CAL for their TX bases.

Unless things bust wide open at AA, you won't hold DFW for a long time (a year or more?). It's even worse at SWA and you are not exactly at the front end of the hiring boom at CAL.

Count on commuting to a base outside of TX at whatever major you get hired at (IF you get hired there...) for a year or more. Plus, if you get hired at the end of the boom, you won't see DFW for a LONG time.

Unless you live in the N.E. or Florida, you're gonna commute while you are junior. Then, you are gonna commute again when you upgrade. Good luck. TC

So here's a question. If we bypass this time (and recalls went down to around April 99) will they send US (those who bypassed) another letter each time a new bid comes out?

So here's a question. If we bypass this time (and recalls went down to around April 99) will they send US (those who bypassed) another letter each time a new bid comes out?

I think the company doesn't plan on another letter. (Big surprise at how they are not following the contract procedures for recall)

Call Charmane and tell her you want to pass right now but want to be notified of following recall opportunities as the come up...

Hi!

FlexJet has a DFW base, too. Basic math. 4/3 is 6 days off in 14. 7/7 is 7 days off in 14, which is MORE time with the FAMILY. AND, when u get 2 weeks of vacation, like NetJEts, it turns into 2 3 WEEK vacations/year. Awesome! Also, the 7/7 schedule goes on forever, so you can plan out all your stuff ahead of time. It won't take long for everyone to get used to being gone 7 days in a row, and the 7 at home is great. It will take quite a while to get 15/15.5 days off/month when u go to another airline.

With your family living in DAL, and it being so important. It seems like a no-brainer. Gemini/World are out, because even though u have home basing, you're gone up to 17 days in a row, or longer.

cliff
YIP
PS-I thought Chatauqua was BETTER than Eagle? Be glad you're not at TSA!

I say again, avoid Flexjet like the plague until management changes (was such a GREAT place before the current management team came in and screwed it up for everyone).

Where can you get 15+ days off? AirTran. 15-16 days off with 95-100+ hours credit since my first month of reserve. 8 months of reserve including my first build-up month after IOE. Now holding 18-20 days off on about 75-80 hours of credit. Still in my first year. :D

LOTS of better places to work than Flexjet; Netjets included.

No offense to Flex guys, but my QOL is so much better now, I can't imagine going back to ANY fractional except maybe NJA and that only if something happened to AAI.

1) Consider the NetJet or similar operation as an option. Some corporate gigs give you plenty of quality time with the family. I had a great time flying corporate charter.

2) Apply to CAL. For some reason PIC is no longer a priority there. Lots of growth over the next 4-5 years, plenty of retirements, and you could get based in IAH in a reasonable amount of time. Live in Montgomery County and its only 3 hrs to Dallas.

3) I would blow off the PIC opportunities if it means severely sacraficing the family. But if you can move the family to where you will be based, having PIC will probably pay off more in the long run of your career plus make you marketable overseas if you ever choose that option. Definately do not commute to reserve and definately do not give up your family time with your kids. If you move to Rep to fly the 170, you've got to bring your family with you.

4) Blow off LCC as long as you can but don't give up your number. $46/hr is abysmal. Hopefully you can stall a few more years and perhpas move into a better position (737 or 757 F/O etc) when they get to your name on the second round.

5) Leave the business. Hey, I know it sounds stupid but there is indeed life after the airlines. I have plenty of friends who have left the biz altogether after all the BS managements pulled over the last 5 yrs. They all love their new life and each one is making a lot more money than when they were flying.

6) DO NOT stay at Eagle forever. I'm sure, to you, they seem like a good airline but their mgmt sucks and the APA has screwed your ALPA pilot group too many times to have much hope for life improving. Plus flying a SLOB or an RJ for the rest of your life will get old and limit your career choices if AMR ever decides to spin off Eagle.

Sorry to hear about your misfortunate career thus far but remember, you have another 20 years and a lot can happen in that time. I wouldn't bet on the AGE-60 rule changing any time soon so don't base your decisions on that just yet. The pro-65 crowd finally got something they can sink their teeth into with Blakey's NPRM move but the overall fight is going to be long and hard for them.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back