Help a furloughed pilot decide please

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Swaayze

A little hesitant to post this on FI, but what the heck.

Can't really keep this short in order to provide adequate background, but I'll do my best...

I am furloughed USAir and recalls are getting reasonably close to me. I expect an opportunity to return there on a 737/Airbus within a year or so, or to the E190 in a few months (I will definitely bypass that initially due to low pay $46/hr). I am an Eagle EMB FO just barely able to hold a line. I came back to Eagle 10/04 (I was here 94-99) after bouncing around post 9/11 to justify moving my family back to DFW and because Eagle is a good regional job, relatively speaking. But...things here seem very cloudy, at best I'd expect a Saab upgrade in another 2-3 years IF we can recruit enough newhires to avoid AMR putting our flying out for bid by others. I don't need a ton of money but I certainly am struggling on FO pay and even SF3 CA pay would barely allow saving anything for retirement. I have small kids (twins) in Kindergarten and cherish my time home, so commuting (to reserve especially) would really be a bummer (we won't be moving anytime soon due to wife's family in the immediate area).

I have less than 1000 turbine PIC but plenty of TT. I can go to Republic as an E170/175 Captain under the Jets4Jobs program (basically like an AA flowback but at year 1 longevity and seniority). If I do that it would be strictly to book the 1300 turbine PIC before I go back to USAir, in case history re-repeats itself and I wind up on the street for a 3rd time (#2 omitted for brevity). That would give me the option of the A list jobs as well as SWA and AA in the DFW area in the future. The pay difference is only about $500/mo over the course of 1 year there because: I'd lose a month's pay, have 1 month of COBRA expenses, and by the time I fly 85-90 here vs. 75 there and pay crashpad expenses it just isn't as much more as it seems ($57 or 63/hr there E170 or 175). Hardly worth it monetarily for the hassles IMO.

So, should I bother going there? Should I go to USAir straight from Eagle? Should I just stay at Eagle and call it a career? Truth is I'm so dang gunshy of making another wrong decision I don't know what the heck to do! Does Eagle have a reasonable future for me anytime soon? FWIW $60k is about the livable wage point for us, assuming wife at home for the kids, which I prefer. I couldn't really care less about flying a 737 vs. an EMJ. Truthfully I don't really wanna go commute to reserve at RPA, or LCC for that matter, and then get stuck junior at LCC when age 65 takes effect. I'm almost 40 and I have a hard time envisioning a 25 year commuting career, but financially I'm just not sure I can stay here and have a reasonable retirement stash. Plus, I'm a little tired of trying to salvage what seems to be a toasted career. Perhaps I need to just enjoy not commuting and wait it out to upgrade here?

Your honest thoughts and insights are appreciated. Flaming is not.

Thanks,
Swaayze

in a nutshell I think you should keep postponing and stay parked in DFW. You'll still keep your number with US Air (I think you have about 1.5 to 2 years to put it off before they get back to you on the way up the list for the last time).

The only thing you miss by staying put is PIC at Republic. But life commuting to DCA as Reserve or bottom line holder will be hell if you have a family. If the family wasn't in the equation I'd say do the rep j4j pic thing then leave for mainline as soon as you can.

I don't have kids but if I were you I'd captilize on these younger years with them because once they are in their teens o'dad or mom isn't gonna the one they want to hang with anymore.

I'm almost 40 and left AE after 6.5 years to get my 121 Turbine PIC time someplace else. Competitive PIC time will vary over time but not having at least 1000 hours turbine PIC puts you in the "big stack" and now most places want it, Southwest wants more and Continental less.

You have more options with the PIC time and a chance of making a great paycheck over the next 25 years. More options means less likelihood of commuting. I live in Texas but I commute for now. What will you do in 2 or 3 years when AA is hiring and you need 1000 hours of PIC time (chance at being based in DFW)? Southwest plans on doing a lot more hiring (chance at being based at DAL or HOU). Aren't you better off as an FO at Southwest v. Eagle?

Eagle is a career job for most of the captains there so they will never have the upward movement that most other places have. If you want to slowly slug your way up to DFW EMB CA then go get a second job in DFW and wait it out. Nothing wrong with that if you want to be home with your family more. I think over time, AA will put its regional flying up for bid just like Continental did to Expressjet.

It's all a gamble because the market changes. But very few people have the chance to start out as a captain someplace so I think that is a good option if you are confident in passing the type. How long will it take you to get at least 1300 PIC Turbine?

Get the PIC time and come back to Eagle if you don't want to go back to USAir. They will be hiring for awhile.

Don't forget; if you're "number last" and the offer if for anything but f/o 190, it's the offer you can't refuse. And they will go through numbers faster than some are led to believe.
Good luck

I'd definitely bypass on LCC. The Republic(PIC) vs more time with kids is a tough one. I'd vote for more time with the family. It's easy for me to say though because I have almost 3000 121 PIC and check airman time. I'll probably be using that time to leave LCC. Best of luck on your choice. I'll end with saying family comes first.

Swaayze:

Take the job with Republic.....you only have to put up with a year or two to get the 1000+ PIC and then if life still sucks and you can't put up with the commute, then you can go back to LCC. And then or at the same time, try AMR, SWA, and CAL. The way Eagle is, you will always be able to go back and get a job with them.

IMO, it looks like Republic will be getting a lot of airplanes....and if they give you a regular seniority number, perhaps you will find a place to call home in the meantime that pays the bills and won't kill you being away from home so much.

Best of luck...

A350

You may already know this, but just in case read this thread. It's from a guy who just started working at Republic after being fired from XJT. He hasn't been paid, they don't send him home on his time off during training. They don't tell you where you'll be based, and switch your base in training to prevent paying per diem.

People like to lump "regionals" together, but I think you'll find a huge difference in the quality of operation at Eagle vs CHQ.

http://www.expressjetpilots.com/viewtopic.php?t=12583

Tough call . I would lean towards staying at Eagle for the time being mainly for family considerations.That should be your number one priority. Chasing the
flying around just for the sake of PIC time is just not worth it. And even if you do manage to get it ,where do you go from there? Its a pretty tight market right now,as you very well know.Any chance of working in the training department. Depending on the contract sometimes there is override pay involved even if you have F/O's as instructors like we do. I would say if Eagle works for you and your family and your wife supports you in your career endeavors, I would stay put, keep an eye on LCC and see how they do from a financial standpoint the next few years, bypass the 190 and enjoy "the munchkins".They grow up fast!! Good luck,and let us know what you decide.

PHXFLYR:cool:

Last edited:
The easiest thing to do is stay put. IMHO you wouldn't like
REP, because you have been there and done that for much
more money. You could make more at Republic IF YOU LIVED
IN BASE.
On the other hand, what would the younger "you" have done?

I'd take the PIC time option, all things being equal.

You never know when the bottom is going to drop out OR a GREAT opportunity presents itself but requires that magic 1,000 PIC number.

You just can't replace it. Not necessarily great to "chase" it, but if it's falling in your lap like that, I'd go there, get your time, then bounce back to LCC like others have mentioned.

Yes, I'm married, have 2 kids, and sat 3 years of reserve at PCL, and just finished 8 months of reserve at AirTran, so I know what reserve is like with family, but you have to give yourself every advantage in this game you can get. The 1,000 PIC 121 Turbine mark is THE advantage you just HAVE to have.

Good luck to you,,,

Latest resources

Back