Hello Airtran! Thank You Lord!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Airtran Fanatic

I just got the call! I have never been sooo excited in all my life! This is the only airline I applied for and the only airline I wanted! I will retire from Airtran! It will be nice to fly with some positive people for a change! Im so tired of all the negativity in the regional industry!

I have a couple questions for those who just went through training. It will probably be close to a month and a half before I get to sim, Im a little scared of getting rusty sitting in a classroom. Are the instructors cool? Ive heard stories that the entire 717 department is of the old "eastern menatality" and want you to know where every rivet is on the plane, while the 737 department is new and not so worried about details like that. Is it a hard transition from the RJ to the 717 or 737? Do they work with you? Dont get me wrong, I have never failed a checkride, but I dont want to start either, and especially at the place where I want to spend the rest of my career. Just want to know what to expect.. So any input is greatly appreciated!

Anyway, glad to be a part of this great company and hope to contribute some great things to this airline!

Cya,
AF

Last edited:
Cool

Congrats! A guy I used to fly with went to Airtran right before I headed to America West. He loves it. Sorry he didn't give me any details on training.

Both 717 and 737 instructor staff are top notch. Like anywhere else, come with a good attitude, show that you're working hard, and they will bend over backwards to help you. Welcome aboard!

Fanatic,
Congratulations and welcome! You have come to a geat place. This is airline #4 for me and I have been very impressed with (most of) the people and the overall operation.
As far as training goes, I would not worry about getting rusty. Use the time "out of cockpit" to FORGET about your previous airplane's limits, callouts, fms, etc... The 717 training dept. will give you all the tools you need to be successful - just show up with the proper attitude. I don't think that will be a problem for you. You will not have to "build the airplane", but you will be expected to demonstrate a good working knowledge. Remember, upgrades are currently less than three years - they are training you to be a Captain.
I can't speak for the 737 side, but having flown it in a previous life, I don't think that anyone with a RJ/glass cockpit background will have too much trouble.
Congrats again and welcome aboard!

When did you interview??? I interviewed last week and have heard nothing yet but I'm told it takes awhile to hear. Congrats.

Thanks everyone for the replys! Im so happy to be there, I cant get the smile off my face! Everyone I have met at the training center during my interview from management to pilots in recurrent were top notch! They all went out of their way to talk to the interviewees and tell them about the company! I have lots of glass cockpit time so I guess I will just need to get used to the different way the information is presented (i.e different flight director, fms..etc).

It took about 5 days for the people in my interview group to hear from Klaus. They have a big class they have to fill Aug 11th (29 pilots) so Im sure they will give you time to give your 2 weeks notice if they need you in it. Stephanie was awesome! Good Luck!

AF

Hey Fanatic, got the call a few minutes ago...I'll be in the Aug 11th class. Hope to see ya there!

Airtran Fanatic said:
I just got the call! I have never been sooo excited in all my life! This is the only airline I applied for and the only airline I wanted! I will retire from Airtran!
Cya,
AF

It's nice to know that you had set such a lofty goal of ONLY wanting to fly for Airtran. Congrats and hope that it makes YOU happy. It's amazing now how airlines like Airtan are suddenly places where pilots have been waiting their entire career to get on with. I for one, have a much loftier goal than Airtran. Back in the good ole days, people couldn't wait to leave Airtran for a "real" airline.

410dude said:
Back in the good ole days, people couldn't wait to leave Airtran for a "real" airline.

And you were like what, 6?

410dude said:
It's nice to know that you had set such a lofty goal of ONLY wanting to fly for Airtran. Congrats and hope that it makes YOU happy. It's amazing now how airlines like Airtan are suddenly places where pilots have been waiting their entire career to get on with. I for one, have a much loftier goal than Airtran. Back in the good ole days, people couldn't wait to leave Airtran for a "real" airline.

410Dude,

Thats exactly the kind of negative attitude im so glad to be getting away from. Everyone must do what is right for them. So if flying 747's across the Atlantic is what your looking for, then good luck with that. I really mean that. Thats not what Im looking for. If Airtran does that someday than great but if not, thats great too. Me, I found what I was looking for. I found my new home. I want to be more than just a # at the company I work for. Im happy to be a part of the Airtran "Family".

Congrats! check your PM's!

AF

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back