• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

headset time...advice?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My experience has been that if something can break, it will, even if I am only in near proximity to the device. Again, I must be lucky with this headset.

Yes, it is a slightly different design than the sets my students have. No, none of my four students with 2 pairs of Bose installed in their aircraft (4 aircraft, 8 headsets) have had problems.

And after another 6 hours aloft in one day, my personal buying decision is confirmed.

Everyone else's head, pocketbook, ears, and remaining hearing will vary.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Mickey said:
How do the bose hold up? Yesterday I went flying with a friend and he had to use his old AvComm because the Bose X he got for Christmas had a dead mic. Two other friends who collectively have six sets of the Bose Xs currently have two not working. They have already had to send sets in three or four times. They're finally tired of sending them in. What a pain! A couple of months a go in Professional Pilot magazine, some pilot was saying how much he liked the Bose and then followed it up with the remark that he had to send them in three or four times for repairs. Do people realize that if a headset is GOOD, you shouldn't have to send them in all the time.
Take care.

There are three of us that have a bose set I know. Two of us have about 1300 on them hours in the last 15 months with them and no complaints. the other guy has about 500 hours on his with no complaints. This is 5-7 legs a day in the 1900. I have dropped mine at least half a dozen times from the glareshield to the floor.

ther only complaints are that you have to be very careful of mic placement, there is no auto shutoff, and the non-existent passive attenuation. I have flown 8 legs with no battery, and it was pretty rough. Funny thing, you never hear a bose owner bashing the headset, only people who "know someone who owns one"

think about that, its your hearing and you have to make it to sixty somehow.

Lightspeeds

Anybody use the cross country from Lightspeed? How does it compare to their higher end models, and any other ANR headset. I have heard from one person that they are not comfortable for long flights, so I am looking for any other opinions. There is no chance for me to try any headsets where I live, so I am looking for some feedback. I want to go ANR and the cross country is in my price range, the bose is not.

Anybody used the custom kit that you send in your ear mold, and they send back your headset without the earcup, just like a regular headphone? I heard it works pretty good, and costs <400 bucks. Do you know where I can get more info?

I used a Flightcom 4DX (their cheapie model) for a long time. I put Oregon Aero hush kits, headbands and temperfoam earseals on all my headsets, including that one. It's been through 180 degree cockpits day in and day out, freezing weather, wet weather, and all kinds of abuse in all kinds of operations, without any problem. Just as good on sound, just as good a mic, as most of the more expensive headsets.

We had a lot of folks at one time that put in the add-on ANR modules, but all took them out and went with the Oregon Aero treatment. It runs about a hundred bucks a headset, and is worth it.

Right now I use a Telex Airman Pro (or something like that). It's lightweight, and after running around with a plantronics single ear headset for a while, I finally admitted that I just don't hear when sound is only going in one ear. I can go all day with this little telex. It's light and comfortable, and does the job.

When I'm in something that requies a headsqueezer, mostly I wear a lightspeed. I don't have the newfangled gear, but an older one that does just fine. My biggest complaint in light airplanes is that I can't hear the engine as much as I'd like (I don't hear anything as much as I'd like these days). Either that, or the Flightcom cheapie.

I first got the lightspeed as a refurbished unit that they were making available to flight instructors. They gave a great deal on it, all you had to do was provide a copy of a flight instructor certificate. I had it about a week and it was wonderful at reduced power settings. I was flying an airplane that's probably one of the loudest to ever fly, and that headset just couldn't keep up at takeoff power settings. But once the power was reduced after takeoff, it was bearable, and for the first time I could talk over the ICS instead of using hand signals. (Is still use them today, even in a quiet cockpit. I realize it looks spastic, but old habits die hard).

I'd had the lightspeed for about a week. I was doing a departure into low IFR, and just after entering the cloud, the headband broke and it fell off my head. It's plastic, and it just fell apart. I plucked some electrical tape out of my flightsuit, and did a very hasty repair. A couple of months later I was in the same neck of the woods and the right earcup quit working. I took it to an avionics shop, and they fedexed it to lightspeed. All it cost me was the shipping one way. It was gone a day, and they fedexed it right back. Even though it was refurbished, it came with new earseals, a new headband, new power cord, new battery module, the works. Just like brand new, and they treated it as though I'd bought it new.

I was quite impressed with the comfort, cost, and performance.

Presently in my HGU55P helmet, I have a generic electret mic and standard avionics. I replaced the earcup earseals with Oregon aero, and requested a liner made from the same material, covered in leather. It makes a BIG difference on a hot day in a hot cockpit getting slammed around against the canopy. At least the helmet fits, and doesn't burn like some do. I can hear just fine, and I'm told the transmission off that mic is crystal clear.

I guess the point there is that I've always been quite satisfied with most of the stock products. Weather it's flightcom or avcom or any of the others, they're all about the same and the only real diffeence is how comfortable you want to make it. The only product for that, as far as I'm concerned, is the Oregon Aero products. I had thought about getting ANR in the helmet, but it's quiet enough, comfortable enough, and works well enough with standard generic gear that I'm not going to mess with it.

Before I even began my training I took some advice from an Airline Capt. to splurge for a quality pair that would last. I'm well into my CFI and my TELEX ANR 500 haven't given me any problems. Now granted, I'm a 'low timer' and haven't put a beatin' to my headset like some of you guys but this is just my 2 cents. I remember spending $499. The ANR really helps on long cross countries and reduces fatigue. Can't play mp3's on it or plug in a cell phone pack but I'm sure any pair that was capable of that would be a plus. I've always been interested to see how one works/sounds. I think it's a safe bet to say more of your aerobatic pilots would have the 411 on the headsets that can plug in mp3/CD players and cut off on transmissions. I know Patty Waggstaff has one.

Anyway as I said, the ANR is great and the mode switch to keep it on or off is a nice feature. I keep it off on local flights ( I like to hear my engine)

I have post a previous question, but I guess i wasn't specific enough. I saw in Flight Training magazine last year, they introduced an unconventional headset, which there would be no headpad, no earcup, just a ear mold sticking into your ear, and the ANR circuit would do the rest. Did any of you see that ad? I want to get more info.

sounds like the panther cat or catt system...try the search function and you should find it and the associated website

Hey Jetdriven, yes I do own a pair of Bose headsets. I use them just about everyday. Also have a set of DC's and use an anr setup in my flight helmet. I will stand by my opinion that the Bose headset is cheaply constructed and will not hold up in a tough environment. Also like someone else stated, the mike will not stay in place and you have to constantly reposition it. Mine have also developed an annoying buzzing sound in the right side. I respect your opinion about the Bose, please respect mine. I spend about 8 hrs a day in some kind of airplane, I think that qualifies me to an opinion on this.

Hey Avbug, you gotta get the ANR in your helmet. I thought my helmet was doing good too. Then I put in the ANR from Headsets, INC. You will not believe how quite it is now. I can now hear things like the spray handle sqeaking. I can also hear my cell phone when it rings. The set runs about 200 if you install it yourself. No big deal just a little light soldering.

Latest resources

Back