headset time...advice?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
wxman13 said:
I'm a big fan of my LightSpeed Twenty 3G's...AND they have an audio input on the battery box for cell phone or music.

...is this the only headset out with this option? what about you DC guys, any of theirs have such an input???

Headsets

David Clark H10-30s (or 40 if you like the noise-canceling mike). Yeah, a lot of people feel that wearing DCs is like clamping your head in a vise. But not really. DCs are bulletproof.

A lot of places sell Brand X or generic DCs. Don't waste your money. Buy the real thing.

Good luck with your choice.

Problem is - everyone's head is a bit different. One person will tell you that their headset is the most comfortable out there, and the next guy will call it a vise grip. My ANR DC's have been great for me, and I've done a 7 hour leg with them on without any comfort problems at all. But my buddy can't wear my headset for a half hour before saying that he has a headache.

So...what I'd suggest is find a pilot shop near you with a good selection, and ask to borrow a headset to try it out for a couple of days. The pilot shop here allowed me to use my DC's for a week before buying them. Or just make sure the place you buy from has a good return policy.

bigD is right, try to try on the ones you're considering before buying them.

I have a pair that clamp my head quite a bit, but when I tried on a friend's DC 13.4s they were so light they seemed like they were going to keep falling off.

Also, once you get "used" to a certain headset, it will seem different than when you first tried it on.

I used to have a pair of the Telex Echelon 150 ANR. The DC 10-60 w/gel ear seals I have now seem to be just as quiet. Although the Telex seemed to cancel out a low hum that the DCs don't. The Telex seemed to do good for about 20-25 hours on a 9-volt, then started to go down hill. With the battery dead, it didn't seem to passively cancel any noise.

On a side note, I got to fly a 310 that has the Bose with the S-Video-looking connection(no battery required)--Holly Geez!! it was quiet! I think it was quieter with the ANR on and engines running than with no ANR and engines off.

(edited for bad spelling)

In my opinion, the Bose headsets work great and are light, but just don't hold up. They seem to come apart and are made pretty cheap. I really like the DC ANR's. A little heavier, but they work great and are just about indestructable. For the money, the lightspeed sets are pretty good. As mentioned above, the Headsets Inc. kit works very well. I have one of these setups in my helmet and it makes a big difference in my ag airplane. Before the ANR, I used to have to wear earplugs in addition to a headset or helmet. Now I can enjoy the music from my cd player. To get music into your headset, try a product called the Muse. Think it can be found at Marv Golden. It has a soft mute to allow radio transmissions to get through. Works great. Have that and a Cellset in my airplane. Can talk on the radio, phone and listen to radio/cd's.

I have a pair of DC 13.4s that have served me well for 4 years, but finally gave in when I started multiengine instruction and bought the Telex Stratus. I really enjoyed the David Clarks, but the Stratus has been amazing. It's unreal how much better you feel after 8 hours of dual given with an ANR headset. It greatly cuts down on fatigue. I got mine off the Marv Golden website and joined NAFI to get the $125 rebate and can honestly say it was worth every penny.

I feel qualified to toss in on this topic since I spend 5 hours a day in a plane and sell headsets on a daily basis.

BigD is correct, the most important factor is how they feel on your head.

That said, in that price range, I strongly recommend the Lightspeed 15XL or the Echelon ANR. You can get either for about $300. The David Clamps... I mean David Clarks don't even come close in noise reduction or comfort.

BOSE BLOWS!

Every product line Bose makes; headsets, speakers, radios, etc. is nothing more than overpriced marketing hype. Their speakers have a 4kHz hole in the midrange. That's why they sound so "clear" as you're apt to hear soccer moms who've never listened to any serious speaker say while whipping out the Visa in order to keep up with the Jones. The harderst thing for a speaker to do is to drive the midrange without sounding muddled. Bose just decided to say, "screw it" and not worry about the mid-range. But hey, don't take my word for it. Look at their spec sheets (if you can get one). You simply CAN NOT get full fidelity from a 3" paper driver and a "Bass Module" <---their words since it's not truly a sub.

Friends don't let friends buy Bose speakers. Buy Klipsch. The only good thing to ever come out of Hope, Arkansas.

As far as headsets, go with the DC H10-13XL with the new battery box and undercut earseals. You'll never regret it!

Chunk <----Proud owner: KLF-20's, C-7, KSW-12, SS-1's

I couldn't agree with you more. I sold stereo equipment for six years and none of the people who worked there would buy the BOSE. They would sell them to the people who wanted them because they were highly profitable. I would get a free set of AM-5s every year as did most of the other sales people. We would all sell them on the open market and use the money to buy some good speakers. I have a set of the ARs for my satellite system.

B.O.S.E. = Box Only, Sound Extra

Back to headsets. They are a lot like eye glasses. You really need to adjust them for your head to get them comfortable. Good luck.

Latest resources

Back