• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

headset time...advice?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
go check out anrheadsets.com. Lightspeed has anr headsets (reconditioned) going for $300-$350. Dirt cheap price for a superb headset. Not to sound like an advertisment but, dang, they make a good headset.

bugchaser said:
In my opinion, the Bose headsets work great and are light, but just don't hold up. They seem to come apart and are made pretty cheap.

bugchaser, have you everowned a set of BOSE headsets?

I thought the same thing at first, but after 1200+ hours in the last 15 months and 8 legs a day in the 1900 the only thing I have had to do is change batteries. PLus they look just as new as when I bought them.

A lot of people bash the bose bewcasue theyre so expensive. Real truth is a lot of people havent used a set, therefore they have to bash them. There is no other headset produced which has the same noise reduction rating with only 11 ounces. lightspeed 25XLs come close, but therer is no equal.

I have used the Bose X headset. One distinct downside is the lack of passive attenuation. Batteries go dead? Tough.

As far as the money, I have spent enough on HT that I don't have to envy anyone's pricetag.

Chunk

Lightspeed

TheAmazingRando said:
go check out anrheadsets.com. Lightspeed has anr headsets (reconditioned) going for $300-$350. Dirt cheap price for a superb headset. Not to sound like an advertisment but, dang, they make a good headset.

I agree, not to sound like a commercial, but Lightspeeds are great headsets. I've had my 20XLs for 3 years now and the ANR is incredible. The new generation Lightspeeds and the 20XL2's have the aux audio input for cell phones. I swapped 2 days ago with my friend for his DC 13.4s on a 2 hr flight and wanted to shoot myself. It hurt my ears and felt like my head was in a vise. He loved the LS and said I could keep the 13.4s. I'll never buy Greendomes or go non-ANR. The only drawback to the LS is that you look like a dork wearing them.
I've tried on the Bose in the store and thought they were just as good as my LS. Of course, a 5 minute lobby try-on is not the same as 8.0 in the plane, but it's still something I might invest in sometime down the road.

I use the ANR David Clarks 13.4 for one job, and the Bose headset for the other job.

Bose is nice for long trips because it is very light, and has very good noise reduction. Also, music sounds great on the bose. The only downside I see is yes it is not built as solid as the DC's (although we have had no problems with it breaking), but also the mic won't hold position. I find myself having to move it closer to my mouth each time I talk.

I use the DC while flight instructing and it is amazing. It gets it's ass beat day in and day out but it keeps coming back for more. It is comfortable for bits a time (after about 3 hours nonstop use I find it gets uncomfortable, unlike the bose), and the ANR is decent. But I mainly bought it because I know of the build quality and customer service at DC.

ANR Headset

I've put three batteries into my Bose X (~120 hours inflight time). I've gone half an hour on three flights before realizing I forgot to turn on the noise cancellation as the headset is quieter than my old DCs.

I bought them because they were best for me. I got to try the various other headsets (ANR DCs, Denalis, Lightspeed, Sennheiser) as students bought their planes with those other sets installed. It was a toss-up between the Sennheiser and Bose until I closely examined the Sennheiser and took em on a flight test. 1. That little wire holding on the earcups wouldn't last in my flight bag. 2. They are heavier than the Bose.

For customer service, Bose installed the microphone assembly into the right side BEFORE shipping my headset, only because I asked. If I had a problem with this set, I know I can call, email, or talk to their reps at a tradeshow (talk, not scream), and my problem will be solved. Like any company, I'm sure Bose has bad eggs working for them. The solution is to end the call and call back. So far (2 months), the headset had held up well with zero problems.

Next report at 1000 hours head time.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

I've gone half an hour on three flights before realizing I forgot to turn on the noise cancellation as the headset is quieter than my old DCs.

Has Bose changed their headset at all lately? The pair that I tried didn't have any passive attenuation at all, and if you turn off the ANR - it's pretty much like not wearing any headset at all.

None of the Bose have any passive ability, they don't even pretend to market that they do.

Chunk

How do the bose hold up? Yesterday I went flying with a friend and he had to use his old AvComm because the Bose X he got for Christmas had a dead mic. Two other friends who collectively have six sets of the Bose Xs currently have two not working. They have already had to send sets in three or four times. They're finally tired of sending them in. What a pain! A couple of months a go in Professional Pilot magazine, some pilot was saying how much he liked the Bose and then followed it up with the remark that he had to send them in three or four times for repairs. Do people realize that if a headset is GOOD, you shouldn't have to send them in all the time.
Take care.

I used DC's till I got into a jet then I went with the telex 750's. I had the opportunity to use a pair of Sennhauser 45's and loved them so I much I bought a pair. They work great and the ANR works great and I use rechargable batteries to keep it going. Batteries usually last about 15-18 hrs of "On" time. As for the music I am not sure what kind of plane you are in but I use a connector found off the Sim Com portable intercomm site. It is a patch cable that takes me from my MP3 player to the O2 mic. When I want music I turn the mic switch over and if the FO wants to hear (Provided they like Jimmy Buffett)I turn on the intercomm switch so they can hear. The only downside is I can't transmitt without switching back to my mic so I let the FO handle the radios or I just get some good switching time in. I have seen a box that sold for about $150 that allowed you plug your headset into it then it pluged into the mic jack and you coud plug a double 1/4 inch male from the music device to the box. It would also turn the volume down when someone talked on the radio. A little high just to hear some tunes--Good luck!

Latest resources

Back