• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Head of Midwest Airlines' Parent Company Rips Milwaukee

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What an idiot! I am glad that you have to be so smart to be the CEO of Republic. I'd be pretty worried if you have to work for that guy.

Beer is good...but come on, being known as the "drunkest" city in America has to say something.

And, i'm going to have to agree with BB on the fact that cookies DO make people fly...at least those people in MKE. I swear every Midwest ticket that gets on our F9 birds asks about those darn cookies. I have witnessed people getting downright pissy with our FA's when they don't think they will get a cookie because all they see is Frontier on the bird and not Midwest. I was surprised myself, but they are very demanding of those "extraordinarily delicious" cookies. Yes, lots of sarcasm was meant in that previous statement.

Also, i believe the comment was taken out of context. Who was he talking to when he said this? Why did he use the words he used? Can you tell me or do you only ever believe what is said in the excellent reporting world? Just asking because i know the answers to those questions, and i believe they were not meant the way they were reported. Sure different words could have and probably should have been used, but really, no matter which way it was said, it could have been turned against him. Oh well, it's just MKE, who likes it there anyway?!;)

Why don't you just admit that you have a CEO that could rival Joe Biden when it comes to speaking whats on your mind?

Slam MKE all you want but you guys are riding on the fact that you can regain market share there and prosper. BB knows that MKE is up for grabs and there is no clear market leader. He has to be getting nervous knowing that the Brand recognition Midwest once carried in MKE has been eroding for years and it is not getting better. Cookies and a Midwest sticker slapped on a RJ do not make for the same customer experience Midwest customers expect. With out any way to discern your product from SWA or AAI other than price your Brand will continue to suffer.

Listen to what Gary Kelly has to say about MKE and you might learn what you guys are up against and what MKE has to offer. http://www.wisn.com/video/21490129/index.html

Last edited:
Why don't you just admit that you have a CEO that could rival Joe Biden when it comes to speaking whats on your mind?

Slam MKE all you want but you guys are riding on the fact that you can regain market share there and prosper. BB knows that MKE is up for grabs and there is no clear market leader. He has to be getting nervous knowing that the Brand recognition Midwest once carried in MKE has been eroding for years. Cookies and a Midwest sticker slapped on a RJ do not make for the same customer experience Midwest customers expect. With out any way to discern your product from SWA or AAI other than price your Brand will continue to suffer.

Listen to what Gary Kelly has to say about MKE and you might learn what you guys are up against. http://www.wisn.com/video/21490129/index.html

Oh i have nothing to say about him speaking his mind...I too am dumbfounded by some of the things that come out of his mouth. His memos make me laugh histerically, although i am sure he is being pretty serious, at least in his mind.

I do think that the Midwest brand is going away in MKE, but truly, do you think that if the flying public had a choice they would choose SWA over AirTran or Frontier?

I don't care about Gary Kelly and his thoughts on MKE...i'll still take a listen in a few days though...because i am sure he will say most of the same things he said when he decided to come into DEN and kill us...and we all see how well that plan went. Sure, go ahead bring up the BK and SWA, but the two had nothing to do with each other so i'm not going to listen to that crap anymore.

I do believe that we have a weak leader, at least from what i have seen so far, but i am very happy that we retained Sean Menke as our head over the branded operations(Midwest and F9). I believe he can at least see things how they truly are and lead us well. Time will tell...

Bedford is just upset about MKE ticket prices because he realizes Airtran/SWA can make money at these prices while Midwest can't because they don't have the right size airplane to compete with the 2 stronger LCCs. Wonder if he is having second thoughts about the purchase already?

I don't think SWA can make money at those ticket prices...if you do your off your rocker! No-one can make money at those prices, it has been said by the airlines themselves that they cannot. Companies like SWA and AAI spread out those losses over their entire system which allows them to make money system wide, but not city wide. For instance, SWA in DEN. They are losing their a$$e$ in DEN and they know it, but they have the ability to spread those losses out to show profits...well i guess in their case right now it is a loss, but in the past it was profits. Its all slight of hand in this business and right now MKE is up for a showdown with one airline large enough to move losses around, one that is big enough to do the same thing for the most part and a smaller airline who cannot move those losses around yet still makes money. It's going to be an interesting year ahead.

If any of you are looking for any last minute gift ideas for me or any MIDWEST crew member for that matter, here's one, I want Bryan Bedford, our boss, brought from his happy holiday slumber in Indy to Milwaukee with a big ribbon on his head; and I want to look him straight in the eye and tell him, well Clark does it so much better.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vuVW78tCTM

allelujah, holly SH!T!

ps. Thanks for terminating our travel benefits!!!

I don't think SWA can make money at those ticket prices...if you do your off your rocker! No-one can make money at those prices, it has been said by the airlines themselves that they cannot. Companies like SWA and AAI spread out those losses over their entire system which allows them to make money system wide, but not city wide. For instance, SWA in DEN. They are losing their a$$e$ in DEN and they know it, but they have the ability to spread those losses out to show profits...well i guess in their case right now it is a loss, but in the past it was profits. Its all slight of hand in this business and right now MKE is up for a showdown with one airline large enough to move losses around, one that is big enough to do the same thing for the most part and a smaller airline who cannot move those losses around yet still makes money. It's going to be an interesting year ahead.

So let me get this straight, SWA is on track to fail in MKE and DEN because they maximize their profits through economies of scale? No offense, but I don't buy your argument that SWA is "losing their asses" in DEN. The only so called expert who seems to proclaim this is Boyd and we all know how much he loves SWA. It's kind of like arguing that Wallmart must be losing their a$$es in Den because the local chain stores can't sell their goods for that cheap.

BB was banking on retaining and growing Midwest market share through Midwest branding. If he wasn't then why buy the operation and keep the name around? Frontier has a great product, but it doesn't carry the same name recognition that Midwest does in MKE. BB's hopes of leapfroging on the Midwest name to gain market share may in fact back fire with the ensuing PR night mare you guys have on your hands. The locals know you have outsourced the pilots and FA's, moved headquarters out of state, eliminated all 2x2 seating and now your CEO says MKE sucks!

I agree, customers are going to vote with their wallets. However, I am not convinced that BB has pockets deep enough to outlast the pricing power of Southwest airlines and I think BB is starting to realize this.

Best of luck to all!

Last edited:
Airtran has four major markets right now: ATL, BWI, MKE, and nonstops to Florida from northern cities that byepass ATL. Our management has been telling Wall St. recently that MKE, BWI, and FL are more profitable than ATL. Airtran has the right sized airplane to produce profits with $85 tickets, $15 bag fees, and $2/gal Jet A as evidenced by Airtran's record 2009 net profit of around $130 million.

Bigger companies always load up on smaller ones. Delta loads up on Airtran, SWA loads up on Frontier, Airtran and SWA are loading up on Midwest. You either find a spot where you can compete or you find a way to change your plan before you run out of money. 2010 will be interseting in MKE for sure.

The locals know you have outsourced the pilots and FA's, moved headquarters out of state, eliminated all 2x2 seating and now your CEO says MKE sucks!

Nobody knows or cares here in MKE. A couple of blurbs in local media and it was done. They just want a cheap ticket and that cookie. Plus, they still advertise the brainwashing mantra 'Best care in the air'. You can rip on his rip, but he is right. I was not offended. It made sense to me.

Latest resources

Back