• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hawker 800XP....snap rolled 3-4 times

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is neither an accident or an incident. NTSB only investigates accidents and they have no authority to discipline a pilot.
Sounds like the definition of an accident to me...
§ 830.2 Definitions.
As used in this part the following
words or phrases are defined as follows:
Aircraft accident means an occurrence
associated with the operation of an aircraft
which takes place between the
time any person boards the aircraft
with the intention of flight and all
such persons have disembarked, and in
which any person suffers death or serious
injury, or in which the aircraft receives
substantial damage.

Based on the second part of the story - that sounds like stress from stopping and reversing the aileron roll abruptly and torquing the fuselage. That makes sense!

I would highly doubt the tail would stay attached had they actually done a snap roll (nearly full back stick and full rudder), unless they did it at near stall speed. If they did do a snap roll, I would also think the recovery would be difficult (at best). It would seem that such an abrupt change to the inlet flow would also flame out both engines...

Why not just go fly an extra 300?

Sounds like the definition of an accident to me...

That pertains to an actual aircraft accident (ie: running off the end of a runway, collision, controlled or uncontrolled flight into terrain etc.)

The NTSB doesn't investigate neglect to an aircraft. They investigate accidents in an attempt to never see that same accident repeated. The only thing thay could do here is tell the pilot not to do it again.
At least I've never heard of the NTSB investigating something like this. Plus, the NTSB doesn't investigate a Part 91 trip on a corporate jet where no passengers were involved, IIRC.

Last edited:
Based on the second part of the story - that sounds like stress from stopping and reversing the aileron roll abruptly and torquing the fuselage. That makes sense!

I would highly doubt the tail would stay attached had they actually done a snap roll (nearly full back stick and full rudder),

I think the co-pilot meant he was really pinning the yoke to one side, abruptly. I don't think he was doing a snap-roll as in proper technique that you would do in an aerobatic plane.

He was clear that he didn't do a nice smooth, slightly pitched up attitude entry to a mellow aileron roll, like Bob Hoover does in non-aerobatic rated passenger planes. He said he was very aggressive and just whipped it around hard.

But yes, the two times he whipped it back the other way is what twisted everything.

Last edited:
***I in no way support people who roll corporate jets, but lets be honest, it happens to 100's of planes, every day of the year, all around the world and we don't ever see this type of damage. I've never once seen a complete airframe destroyed. If any of you think for a second that you're flying coporate jets that have not been rolled, unless you know its brand new and only you have flown it since new.......you're fooling yourselves....

Say what? How do you figure? Maybe I'm naive, but I'm pretty confident that none of the planes at NJA have been rolled. I'd bet the same goes for our competitors as well.

That pertains to an actual aircraft accident (ie: running off the end of a runway, collision, controlled or uncontrolled flight into terrain etc.)

The NTSB doesn't investigate neglect to an aircraft. They investigate accidents in an attempt to never see that same accident repeated. The only thing thay could do here is tell the pilot not to do it again.
At least I've never heard of the NTSB investigating something like this. Plus, the NTSB doesn't investigate a Part 91 trip on a corporate jet where no passengers were involved, IIRC.

I am sorry but that's rubbish- the Mexican equivalent is the investigating authority but the NTSB would have investigated had it been under their authority.

DFW08WA091
On March 28, 2008, at 0808 central standard time N167DD, a British Aerospace BAE 125 model 800A was substantially damaged while landing on runway 02 at Aeropuerta de Norte, near Monterrey, Mexico. After landing the crew taxied the airplane to the hanger and did not report the occurrence. Maintenance personnel noticed substantial damage to the fuselage and wings while performing routine maintenance.

The passenger airplane, serial number 258068, is owned by Aircraft Guaranty Holdings and Trust LLC Trustee in Houston, Texas. The flight initiated in Toluca, Mexico with Monterrey, Mexico as the intended destination. None of crew and passengers were injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the flight.

The investigation is under the jurisdiction and control of the Government of the Republic of Mexico. Any further information may be obtained from:

Secretaria de Comunicaciones y Trasportes
Direccion General de Aeronautica Civil (DGAC)
Providencia 807, Cuarto Piso
Colonia del Valle, Codigo Postal 03100
Mexico, D.F.

This is neither an accident or an incident. NTSB only investigates accidents and they have no authority to discipline a pilot.

The FAA was called and it was reported. The American, FAA licensed co-pilot, is being investigated. He'll probably get a pass because he finally gave up the captain and told the truth. But really, what grounds would they have for violating the co-pilot, he was just sitting there, the captain made the choice to roll it. Not alot of co-pilots have the balls to tell captains that they ARE NOT going to do something. They don't realize that they are, in a way, the final authority on alot of flight and non-flight operations. If they say they don't like something or aren't comfortable with something, no matter what the captain says, its not going to happen. But this co-pilot obviously is one of the co-pilots who just does whatever a captain says, kind of stupid if you ask me. The leading cause of death of co-pilots...is captains. lol

From what I have seen they will violate both of them. It is a crew aircraft. The Captain needed an FAA certificate to fly the aircraft in US airspace so they can get him through that. If he didn't have an FAA certificate, they could start action against the C/P and the owner for that also.

I am absolutely amazed the insurance company has not written this off, fast!
That is one liability trail that is never going away. That airframe is going to have problems forever, and God forbid it has a catastrophic failure in the coming years. For any reason.
Not to mention the resale value has dropped to nothing. No intelligent buyer would ever consider it.

Good luck, someone is going to need it.

Hung

Latest resources

Back