• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hawaiian to exit BK on June 1st

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Would the 757-300 be a good substitute? I know ATA has used them to/from Hawaii but I am not sure how many are flying. I read that Condor of Germany was looking to dump its 757-300 fleet at some point...

Heavy Set said:
Would the 757-300 be a good substitute? I know ATA has used them to/from Hawaii but I am not sure how many are flying. I read that Condor of Germany was looking to dump its 757-300 fleet at some point...
The problem is that we would need a minimum fleet size of between 8 and 12 (different numbers from different managers) to make it work. This is mostly because of parts. Very little in common with the 767 according to HAL maintenance mangers.

The airplanes were almost there... within our grasp...

Then Adams & co. decided to send back the last two 767's on order. What happened to them?

Here is what would have been N594HA, now flying to that wonderful tropical paradise of Uzbekistan:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/808934/L/

The other one has been turned into a private jet. It would have been N595HA:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/866803/L/

Sad. Now HA management is scrounging around to find even the worst beat-up piece of junk just to try and expand - competing with dozens of other airlines looking to expand on-the-cheap. Hey guys, how about this: Order some new ones! Boeing is desperate to keep the 767 line open until the 787 starts production. You'll get a great deal on the lease rates, I'm sure! The new 767's have worked great for you so far, and if you want 'new technology' planes you'll have to stand in line until at least 2010. Order the 767 and you could have brand new aluminum on your ramp in less than a year.

HAL

There you go thinking again. There's no place for logic when buying an airplane!;)

Sad. Now HA management is scrounging around to find even the worst beat-up piece of junk just to try and expand - competing with dozens of other airlines looking to expand on-the-cheap. Hey guys, how about this: Order some new ones! Boeing is desperate to keep the 767 line open until the 787 starts production. You'll get a great deal on the lease rates, I'm sure! The new 767's have worked great for you so far, and if you want 'new technology' planes you'll have to stand in line until at least 2010. Order the 767 and you could have brand new aluminum on your ramp in less than a year.
HAL
Hal,
The prices Boeing wants for new 767's are high-I dont know the number but they are driven by the demand that still exsists for these type of A/C.

I'm not trying to beat the drum for mgmt.- But when you got Aloha charging $99 from the west coast to Hawaii and ATA doing the same- You have to watch your step!!!

As much as our mgmt has SCREWED UP in the past-I am willing to give Dunkerley the benefit of doubt this time- Combined with Carty's airline savvy and retired admiral Fargo will make a pretty impressive board.

Fargo just got back from a trip to Asia with the Gov. looking at possible routes that could be added in the future. They visited Shanghi and Bejing (excuse the spelling). But doing business in China can be very slow and tidious besides getting the landing rights.

I was hoping we could bring you guys back quick-but I understand what Dunk is trying to do-now that he has GUTTBOMB out of the way.

HAL,

You are way outside of the loop and really don't know what your talking about. Your negative babble has grown old. It's unfortunate you have the HA logo on your posts, someone could take you seriously. When recall is offered to you, please, consider turning it down. You will never be happy at Hawaiian Airlines, or quite possibly anywhere else. Aloha

I'll give HAL the benefit of the doubt and say he probably isn't as negative as he sounds, just frustrated at being on furlough. But your right, the management presently at Hawaiian appears full of potential. Dunkerly is good and I happen to be in the majority camp that thinks he'll be very good for Hawaiian. His track record under extremely difficult circumstances has been pretty amazing.

I understand that the 3 767's we lost by not coming out of BK April 1st were purchased by a leasing company and we may still be getting them from the leasing company. Also I heard Dunkerly was in Paris talking to people about leasing some of the 8-9 UAL 767's that just came up. So there is hope. These guys are sharp, they are not going to get aircraft just for the sake of getting aircraft. Whatever they get will make good business sense. I too thought they would be able to move quicker coming out of BK, but the delay slowed things down. A LOT is going on behind the scenes, we'll know it when it happens, till then, hang in there if your furloughed. They will get the right aircraft as quickly as they can, and they will be expanding, just not haphazardly or with any aircraft at any price just for the sake of expanding, that's a sure way to kill an airline.

I trully hope that you are right about Dunkerley. He does seem sharp, the only problem is that he doesn't have much of a track record. This is the first time in his history at Hawaiian that he has the authority to make the big decisions. First, he was under Adams, then under Gottbaum on the chain of command. We truly ought to see what kind of a CEO he is over the next few years.

BTW, are they really going to cancel the LA flight in order to start the new San Jose service? I have to commute to work, and everytime I attempted to get on that afternoon LA, it was jam packed.

I also have to stick up for HAL. This has been an extremely frustrating few years. We watched our company make money for two years straight, while Gottbaum continued to line his, and his team of lawyers pockets. Unless you have been on a fairly long furlough, you have no way of knowing what it is like. I have remained pessimistic during the entire furlough because of some advice my father gave me. If you get your hopes up, and let yourself become convinced you will be recalled soon, you are setting yourself up for extreme dissapointment. I, and everyone else I know who has worked at Hawaiian, would not trade their job there for any other job in the world. What has become extremely difficult recently is that everyone seems to have given up hope on the recalls starting in the near future. In any event, I hope to see you guys on the line some day (hopefully sooner, rather than later)

dan808
I believe the last lax flight will be reduced 3 or 4 times a week and the second SEA flight will be reduced. Then reinstated once more AC are on the line. Sorry, it won't help your commute at all.

Latest resources

Back