Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Puget Sound Business Journal (Seattle) - 10:52 AM PDT Thursday

Boeing gets rare 767 order

Boeing Commercial Airplanes Group of Renton said Japan Airlines has ordered six new 767-300 extended-range airplanes worth about $800 million at list prices.

It's a rare bit of good news for the 767, which so far this year has seen only four orders, according to The Boeing Co.'s (NYSE: BA) Web site. The customer of those planes has not been announced, and the new order -- "confirmed" on Thursday -- could include some or all of the four already listed.

Analysts have speculated widely that the commercial version of the 767 will be discontinued, as most of its utility is duplicated or improved upon by the 787 Dreamliner. The Everett assembly line's salvation could come from a military version of the plane, depending on whether Congress and the U.S. Air Force eventually buy in-flight refueling tankers that are based on the 767 airframe.

The Japan Airlines order is for three passenger versions and three cargo versions, the first cargo-carrying 767s the airline has ordered. The planes are scheduled for delivery in 2007 and 2008, according to the announcement.

Hey Erndogg!

WHAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSUUUUUUUPPPPPPPPPPPPP!:D

HA pilot said:
HAL,

You are way outside of the loop and really don't know what your talking about. Your negative babble has grown old. It's unfortunate you have the HA logo on your posts, someone could take you seriously. When recall is offered to you, please, consider turning it down. You will never be happy at Hawaiian Airlines, or quite possibly anywhere else. Aloha

I thought about this a while, and although at first I wanted to answer back with a real zinger, I realized this was just what HA pilot wanted. Anyone who knows me knows that I am about as far from a negative person as you can get. I was very happy at Hawaiian, as well as at my current job. If HA pilot feels I have been untrue or simply wrong about something in one of my posts, then please let me know - we can discuss it and if I was wrong I'd be happy to admit it. As far as I know everything I have posted is completely factual. Yes, being furloughed has been difficult and probably added a little edge to what I have been posting. But this is a forum for free speech and discussion; personal attacks (even subtle ones) do nothing but stir the pot, and in the end you still have the same soup. Facts, ideas & discussion will help much more than attacks.

Enjoy the day.

HAL

Well Said! Extra points for taking the high road!:D

California markets will be key to Hawaiian Airlines' growth plans

Prabha Natarajan

Pacific Business News
[font=Times New Roman,Times,Serif]Hawaiian Airlines is banking on customer service and information technology to win back its market share, especially in California.
The airline, which emerged from bankruptcy in June, is on the lookout for new routes and aircraft to expand its fleet.

But the first order of business, said President and CEO Mark Dunkerley, is to "grow a little in California."

Compared to its competitors, the number of seats Hawaiian Airlines flies between the West Coast and Hawaii is growing at a lower percentage rate. For instance, ATA announced this week that it is connecting more Southwest Airlines routes to its Hawaii flights as part of a code-share expansion.

"Our competitors have been able to enter into some markets that we've been dominant in during our years in bankruptcy," Dunkerley said. "We've seen an increase in the competition on the West Coast."

The strategy to retain and even increase Hawaiian's market share involves customer service and passenger comfort.

"Growth is all about being able to provide product in the marketplace that the customer demands," Dunkerley said. "For us that means sticking closely and clearly to the market that works, and providing products and services that will make customers prefer us to competitors."

Conveniences enabled by technology, such as Web check-ins and online reservations, are tools the airline adopted over the past year. Hawaiian spends about $10 million on information technology annually.

"The challenge is going to be staying ahead of the competition," Dunkerley said.

Toward that end, the airline hired its first-ever chief information officer, David Osborne, a few weeks ago.

"People catch up quickly with technology," Osborne said. "We have to leverage technology to improve the customer experience and manage the operational part of the business."

Osborne said he's working on project ideas but can't talk about them yet.

[/font][email protected] | 955-8041

Posted on: Friday, July 8, 2005 Printable version E-mail this story

Hawaiian faces more competition

By Rick Daysog
Advertiser Staff Writer

Hawaiian Airlines fears that Mainland-based carriers' plans to increase passenger seat capacity on flights to the Islands could dim growth prospects for Hawaiian, which just emerged from bankruptcy protection.

Advertiser library photo

HAWAIIAN AIR SHAREHOLDERS APPROVE SEVEN NEW DIRECTORS

Hawaiian Airlines shareholders voted to approved the nomination of seven new directors at the company’s annual meeting yesterday. The new directors will serve one-year terms, which expire at the company’s 2006 annual meeting. The board members, who attended yesterday’s meeting, include:
• Hawaiian Airlines chairman Lawrence Hershfield, 48, who is founder and chief executive of Hawaiian Airlines’ largest shareholder, Ranch Capital LLC, a San Diego investment company that specializes in distressed companies.
• Hawaiian Airlines chief executive Mark Dunkerley. Dunkerley, 41, previously served as the company’s president and chief operating officer.
• Donald Carty, 57, who served as chairman and chief executive of AMR Corp., American Airlines’ parent.
• Adm. Thomas Fargo, 57, who recently retired as commander of the U.S. Pacific Command at Camp Smith.
• Bert T. Kobayashi, 64, who is senior partner in the local law firm of Kobayashi, Sugita & Goda.
• Hawaiian Airlines chief financial officer Randall Jenson, 37, who co-founded Ranch Capital.
• Gregory Anderson, 48, chairman and chief executive of Phoenix-based Valley Commerce Bank Corp.

Mainland airlines plan to increase the passenger seat capacity on their Honolulu flights by 17 percent this summer as they rediscover the profitability of the Hawai'i market.

But the head of Hawaiian Airlines said the increased capacity could dim growth prospects for the state's largest airline, which emerged from bankruptcy protection last month.

Speaking at Hawaiian Airlines' annual shareholders meeting yesterday, Chief Executive Officer Mark Dunkerley said that an "explosion" in number of passenger seats on West Coast flights will keep fares low and make it difficult to pass on soaring fuel costs.

"It seems that our competitors, having missed the opportunity over the strong demand for Hawai'i vacations for the past couple of years, are bound and determined to make up for this twice over," Dunkerley said.

Dunkerley cited figures compiled in May by the state Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism showing that for the three months ending Aug. 30, 2005, the number of passenger seats on flights from the West Coast to Honolulu will increase by 17 percent to 939,845 from the year-earlier period. DBEDT figures released yesterday show that the overall passenger seat capacity for the July-to-September period is expected to be up 13.1 percent.

"That's more growth than we would expect to see in our business over several years," said Dunkerley.

The increased capacity comes after Hawaiian Airlines — which filed for bankruptcy reorganization in 2003 — reported steady operating income growth in each of the past two years.

It also comes after many of the nation's largest airlines have restored their service to Hawai'i to pre-Sept. 11 levels.

Marsha Wienert, state tourism liaison, said that the state will need the additional seats with the arrival of the Pride of America cruise ship later this month.

She noted that the new ship will add the equivalent of 2,000 new hotel rooms to the local visitor accommodation inventory.

Frank Haas, vice president of tourism marketing for the Hawai'i Tourism Authority, said that many of Hawai'i's hotels are nearly filled this summer, so the airlines could face the prospect of empty seats on their flights.

Haas said tourism industry officials don't want to see a repeat of the mid-1990s, when the big carriers increased their capacity, were left with too many empty seats and had to cut prices.

"We're certainly happy that the airlines would want to fly here but we want them to fly here and make money," Haas said.

Looks like everyone will be increasing flights but Hawaiian. Guess there isn't a need for new airplanes after all.

2 articles printed within 3 days of each other, with two entirely different messages. One says we plan on expanding to the west coast to rival the increasing competition, and the other says all of the competition may hamper those very plans to expand. This guy's a riddle wrapped in an enigma.

On an entirely different note, how was the meeting with the new owner?

Latest resources

Back