• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Erndogg said:
Whale: only one at HP/US and he's coming back

Kool Brah....I'll have to send him a card.:D

Whale,

There are four furloughed HA people at AWA, but I'm the only one senior enough to get a recall notice this time. The other three will have to wait a while longer.

Hey HA guys, did you know that there's now an L&L within a short walking distance from the training hotel in SEA? A little piece of plate lunch heaven in latte-land! :D

HAL

Last edited:
HAL said:
Whale,

There are four furloughed HA people at AWA, but I'm the only one senior enough to get a recall notice this time. The other three will have to wait a while longer.

Hey HA guys, did you know that there's now an L&L within a short walking distance from the training hotel in SEA? A little piece of plate lunch heaven in latte-land! :D

HAL

Kool Brah! You know there is an L&L in PHX also. Unfortunately its not within walking distance. Unless you attend the Aloha Festival which is held annually just outside the hotel. It has an L&L booth.:D

Whale Rider said:
Kool Brah! You know there is an L&L in PHX also. Unfortunately its not within walking distance. Unless you attend the Aloha Festival which is held annually just outside the hotel. It has an L&L booth.:D

dont forget the Aloha Cafe on Alma School road for some Hawaiian food.... :)

Mesa's gate switch puzzles state and airlines

State official does not know why airline was ordered to change

By Richard Borreca
[email protected]

A state decision to reshuffle the airport gates assigned to Aloha Airlines and its new interisland competitor has both airlines up in arms -- and officials say they do not know why it happened.
Both Mesa and Aloha airlines are protesting a state Department of Transportation decision to move Mesa's new interisland carrier, named go!, from the Honolulu Airport's commuter terminal to the neighbor island terminal.
Mesa had been scheduled to start flying on June 9 out of Honolulu Airport's commuter airline terminal, but on March 2, Mesa was told to move to a portion of the space in the neighbor island terminal used by Aloha Airlines.
State Transportation Director Rod Haraga said he does not know why the switch was made, but is investigating.
"I think we made a bad decision," Haraga said. "Mesa Airlines originally thought they were to go the commuter terminal, and then somebody misunderstood or something happened there.
"As it ended up, Mesa is upset, Aloha is upset."
Greg Stephens, Mesa's Hawaii CEO, said he is working with the state to settle the problem but also does not know why the airline was moved.
"I have no idea what is driving it or what took place. It is rather confusing. We were given one direction and were working towards that end, and the plan changed," Stephens said.
"We were not given any indication why it changed, what the thought process was, what the reasons were.
"I will be very honest with you, I have no idea what happened or changed. It is very confusing to us."
Stephens said the state told him the switch in terminals would not change the airline's June 9 start date.
Aloha Airlines did not return calls asking for comment, but last week, Lee Steele, Aloha Airlines' senior vice president for operation, wrote a critical letter to Brian Sekiguchi, state deputy director for airports. Steele said the Aloha terminal is already crowded and that there is not enough space to add a luggage sorting area and passenger inspection area for another airline.
There was also concern that the smaller Mesa planes would have to load passengers from the ground instead of a jetway, and that would be a dangerous mix at the neighbor island terminal.
"To place a 50-seater airliner with passenger ground-loading requirements in the middle of jet operations would be ignoring the safety of the passengers and the airline ramp workers," Steele said.
Sen. Lorraine Inouye, chairwoman of the state Senate Transportation Committee, also has written to Haraga, protesting the change.
The new airline originally was put in the commuter terminal, across from the main post office, Inouye said, because there was more space and the state would not have to do as much costly renovation to the airport.
"For a new interisland airline entrant such as Mesa, these actions and the unpredictable changes do not represent good business practices by your department, and we strongly urge Mesa be permitted to use the commuter terminal," Inouye wrote to Haraga.
Haraga said he was told that Gov. Linda Lingle's tourism liaison, Marsha Wienert, also was investigating the switch. But yesterday, Wienert said she also did not have any more information.
"I know there are discussions about it, but that is all I know. It is being discussed," Wienert said.
Mesa's entry into the interisland market with fares as low as $39 has prompted Aloha and Hawaiian to lower their fares as well.
Stephens said that one of the benefits of operating out of the commuter terminal was lower charges by the state. Inouye said that the "use charges per departure at the commuter terminal were $25, while the charges at the neighbor island terminal would be $92."
Stephens said the state is promising to help "work with us on cost issues."
"They have been very encouraging," he said.

So they were trying to steal Aloha's gates? Guess that's not happening.

I thought HAL would loose 61. Aloha loses the 55 share and Hawaiian gets it and Mesa gets 61. So AQ and HA lose. Is this what you guys heard? Is HAL also protesting the reassignment or does it not affect you guys?

Latest resources

Back