Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Have you ever had a captain (or FO) that makes up his own procedures?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No prob Amish...This can be a tricky venue to get your point across. After debriefing managment, they all agreed that I made a good decision. We were also prepared to don the mask if we needed it. And, Critter, Swissair, FedEx incidents all jumped in the front of my mind as we diagnosed, evaluated and decided what to do. We both agreed, lets just be safe, declare the Emergency and go back to IAD. Not worth taking a chance ignoring something like a short that smokes a circuit breaker. I think it turned out to be a fairly high amp CB that shorted and fused closed, but it must have melted internally and interupted power to the circuit or things might have been more dicey.
I don't think it's a good idea to color outside the lines either. I was an instructor and a check airman on the 1900, and I always reinforced the use of flows, checklists and manuals. Not because it was to be in compliance, but because it's the right thing to do. I have flown with some really new guys, and actually have learned quite a bit about flying and myself as I've progressed thru the ranks.
I find it upsetting that pilots don't recognize that we have a responsibilty to uphold professional standards, set an example for others to follow and respect for our peers. I miss the airline world for the three items I just mentioned above. My life kind of got turned upside down over the new year in loosing my wife to a lung infection. So, flying has taken a back seat to being a father for now...I hope that someday I can humbly rejoin the ranks and start over again.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

My condolences for your loss. That sounds like a tough job; to be a single parent pilot raising kids. Hopefully, your relatives and inlaws are doing all they can to help you out. I myself lost a mother to lung cancer. Watched her deteriorate into bones. Sad.

Anyway, it sounds like you're obviously very qualified in the 1900 and I'm sure any flight dept. would welcome you back when you're ready to fly again.

Good luck.

Kaman,

Sorry to hear it too bud. Life sometimes takes on some crazy paths, but everything happens for reasons good or bad.

I myself was close to quiting flying to help my mother take care of my father whom became sick. I know it not like losing my wife and something (Flying) that I love to do. But the thought was even a tuff one for me.

Hang in there.

On the after start check on the Saab one of the items is condition levers: Max.

We were going to reposition away from the gate and I called "Condition Levers" and the Captain called "Min" and proceeded to have them in the min position.

I am guessing he did this out of the thought of not blowing the rampers around?

Now I am pretty new I admit, but as far as I have ever known or read while you are in bottom governing it doesn't matter where you have it in the Min-Max range, it will still be the same result.

I didn't say anything about it...but I always have thought it was kind of weird.

I was a Captain on the SAAB and from what I can remember putting the condition levers to MAX was not on the after start checklist but the before takeoff checklist.
If I am right then you are a newbie puke so go back to GA light planes. If I am wrong, I am still better than you.

I was a Captain on the SAAB and from what I can remember putting the condition levers to MAX was not on the after start checklist but the before takeoff checklist.
If I am right then you are a newbie puke so go back to GA light planes. If I am wrong, I am still better than you.

He may work for a different aurline.

So the company's fashion rules are sacrosanct, but a rule designed to keep you conscious during a rapid decompression is stupid?

PCL_128 said:
And you cowboys that think you can make up your own rules scare the piss out of me.

I'm hoping this is a case where you follow the rules, but just don't like them.

No prob Amish...This can be a tricky venue to get your point across. After debriefing managment, they all agreed that I made a good decision. We were also prepared to don the mask if we needed it. And, Critter, Swissair, FedEx incidents all jumped in the front of my mind as we diagnosed, evaluated and decided what to do. We both agreed, lets just be safe, declare the Emergency and go back to IAD. Not worth taking a chance ignoring something like a short that smokes a circuit breaker. I think it turned out to be a fairly high amp CB that shorted and fused closed, but it must have melted internally and interupted power to the circuit or things might have been more dicey.
I don't think it's a good idea to color outside the lines either. I was an instructor and a check airman on the 1900, and I always reinforced the use of flows, checklists and manuals. Not because it was to be in compliance, but because it's the right thing to do. I have flown with some really new guys, and actually have learned quite a bit about flying and myself as I've progressed thru the ranks.
I find it upsetting that pilots don't recognize that we have a responsibilty to uphold professional standards, set an example for others to follow and respect for our peers. I miss the airline world for the three items I just mentioned above. My life kind of got turned upside down over the new year in loosing my wife to a lung infection. So, flying has taken a back seat to being a father for now...I hope that someday I can humbly rejoin the ranks and start over again.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

First off sorry for your loss! Just curious how old was she and how old are the kids? I lost my dad to cancer about 2 years ago but we were all grown up still difficult for my mom after a 36 year marriage.

Latest resources

Back